PDA

View Full Version : River Fireworks

CardSharpCook
01-26-2005, 02:09 AM
This is a story not a poker dilemma.

15/30 at Harrahs/New Orleans. I get off work at 1 am Sat night and decide to go down to Harrah's for some good old fashioned LIVE play. Waiting for my 15/30 table to open up, I make about $125 on the little tables in a half hour. Sure enough, an hour after sitting down at the 15.30, I'm reaching for my wallet again. But by this time, I've got this table figured out. (including myself) there are eight pros of varying style and ability, there is one fish, and then there is the revolving fish seat which gives us a new fish every half hour or so. I love this setup - real poker for the most part. I only planned to stay until 3am, but the table was still live - there was the ONE fish who would play absolutely anything. I'd guess he had a VPIP of 80%, but he would win enough pots, that he was there ALL night!

Around 4am, I've got a well-earned rep as a tight player, and my bets and raises are getting respect. I'm MP2 and look down at A7s. Everyone has folded to me. I know I should fold as well, but you get so damn few cards in live play, so I raise. The BB in seat 9, who has been sitting with us for about an hour immediately starts saying "RAISING MY BB!! There you go, RAISING my BB!" Ok. Everyone folds to him, he raises. I call. Flop comes J63 rainbow. He checks. Ok. I bet. Turn is a 10. He checks. I bet, he raises. Now I have a feeling that this guy is full of [censored], but I DON'T have enough evidence to prove it or to make it reasonable to pay another $60 to find out that ace high is NOT a winner. ANd I have a feeling that he is the kind of bluffer who would reraise if I bluffed at him. So I fold.

5am. Same situation, I look down and see A3s MP2, same guy in the BB. I raise, all fold to the fish in seat 7, he calls on the button, Seat 9 calls. Flop comes K72 rainbow. I bet, fish calls, BB raises, I call, fish calls. Again, I'm thinking this guy is full of [censored]. I'm thinking he's looking across the table at a 20-something guy in a chef's coat thinking he can bluff me out of anything. Turn is a 9, he bets, I call. Fish folds. River J. He bets, I raise, he folds. Commentary at the table (not from the BB): "he must have tripped the flop. Pocket kings."

8am. The fish has JUST gotten up and is cashing out for about the same amount of chips he had when I sat down SEVEN HOURS AGO (go figure). Now, I KNOW that this entire table exists ONLY because this fish has stayed. NINE people have decided NOT to get sleep that night for the mere CHANCE to play with this guy. I KNOW that the table will be breaking up in a few hands now that he has left, besides, I don't want to keep playing 7/8-handed poker (with 6/7 other pros) all the while paying $6 in rake +$2 in tips - it just isn't profitable. So I decide to leave when the blinds reach me.

8:10am. UTG+1 8-handed 3BB +1SB already in the pot (4 people were required to post that hand). I look down and see a MONSTER. 97 of clubs. UTG calls, I raise. EVERYONE FOLDS!!! Everyone, that is, except my friend in seat 9, the last BB. UTG calls too. Flop comes 863 rainbow. I'm thinking I've died and gone to heaven - my Overpair bluff is solid plus I've got 8 outs to a str8 plus an overcard. Check, check, bet, call, call. Turn is 2 of clubs putting 2 clubs on the board. So now I have another 7 outs. Check, check, bet, call, fold. At this point I'm nervous. I know that the BB is going to raise the river no matter what, and I was looking to cash out up $300 on the night before the hand - that is, before I put $75 into the pot with 97s. I know that if I don't hit my outs, I'll have to put another $90 in the pot to have a CHANCE at winning the pot - that would be $165 on 97s which would lose to ANY hand... well, I beat 95. But God loves fools - the river is a 5, not a club. Check, I bet, sure enough he raises, I reraise, HE reraises... I get this pained look on my face, look at the board for a minute, I reraise. "dealer, can I reraise?" he asks. "no cap when heads up." "OK, I reraise." I get a serious/offended look on my face and I reraise. "Gotta be a split pot," I hear someone say. He doesn't even think, he raises. I don't even think, I reraise. "were you raising with some BULLSHEET?" He folds.... That's right, we went back and forth each of us re-raising 3 times, and he folds for the final reraise. $600 pot in which each of us have put in $250 and he folds for $30 more. Now, I know that I'm getting up after I fold UTG, so I turn up my 9-7 (like they didn't know what I had anyway). Comments from seat 9, "what did he have? Yup, raising with some BULLSHEET PF.... Nice hand."

I get up, say goodnight, and walk away.

CSC

na4bart
01-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Good story. I always get broke in these spots.