PDA

View Full Version : Fastplaying sets

PoBoy321
01-26-2005, 01:40 AM
I played this on Interpoker tonight, .50/1 6 Max. I think that all in all I played it well, but that I lost a lot of value by getting the villain to fold his one pair hand.

Game #294444934: Texas Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1) - 2005/01/25 - 23:46:02 (EST)
Table "Sunnyvale" Seat 5 is the button.
Seat 1: unimportant1 ($40.50 in chips)
Seat 2: unimportant2 ($31.50 in chips)
Seat 4: unimportant3 ($69 in chips)
Seat 5: villain ($81 in chips)
Seat 6: hero ($133 in chips)
hero: posts small blind $0.50
unimportant 1: posts big blind $1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to hero [Tc Td]
unimportant 2: folds
Smokie joins the table at seat #3
unimportant 3: calls $1
villain: raises to $4
hero: calls $3.50
unimportant 1: folds
unimportant 3: folds
----- FLOP ----- [Qs 5d Ts]
hero: bets $7
villain: raises to $20
hero: raises to $129 and is all-in
villain: folds
Returned uncalled bets $109 to hero

I feel like such an idiot. I should've just called the raise and check/raised a non-scary turn. Blah for me.

mason55
01-26-2005, 02:14 AM
If you're sure villain doesn't make this play as a semi-bluff then it's good. If villain is the type of player to make this raise with, say a flush draw and a gut shot, or even a flush draw and two overs, what do you do when a scary card hits the turn? If you know villain only makes this play with TPGK or two pair then your thoughts of calling are fine. I don't play at inter so i don't know how sophisticated the players there are.

PoBoy321
01-26-2005, 02:18 AM
I've found players at Inter to be pretty fishy. I didn't have a read on this player, but against a typical player at this site, I would expect them to call with just about any Q, sometimes just the flush draw. Personally, I fell that I should have just reraised rather than push, or call and check raise the turn.

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Players at Crypto are really player dependent. There's usually 1-3 TAG players, a few loose passives, and a few LAG's at each 6-max table.

TheWorstPlayer
01-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Even better than check/raising the turn, I think, since you still have a fair amount behind is to lead out on the turn for about half the pot. That way if he is on a draw, he is still not getting good odds, you keep money going into the pot so there is no danger of his checking behind, and if he has a decent hand he might feel like you are drawing with your weak bet and raise you up (which is of course exactly what you want.) I think a weakish lead on the turn, therefore, has a lot of advantages over check/raise if you have deepish stacks. With shorter stacks, so that you can easily check/raise all-in, that line is great.

MarkL444
01-26-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like such an idiot. I should've just called the raise and check/raised a non-scary turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, i like reraising right here on this board. its just that your reraise is too large. the pot is $36 when it gets back to you and the villain is down to under $60.i think i raise it another 40 or so.

TheWorstPlayer
01-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Could you explain what you see as the difference between raising another 40 and another 100,000? Thanks.

MarkL444
01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you explain what you see as the difference between raising another 40 and another 100,000? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

what you want is for your opponent to make mistakes. when you raise a lot he folds more often. of course, him folding here is probably what he should do, so you dont really want that. when you push, he is more likely to think about whether or not he really wants to commit all of his chips.

right?

TheWorstPlayer
01-26-2005, 10:43 AM
So you think he is more likely to call off 2/3 of his stack (when it is very very clear the rest is going in on the turn) than to call off the whole thing? I think that is silly. A re-raise is a re-raise even if it is a min re-raise. He will fold. Just call and don't tip your hand until he is pot committed.

MarkL444
01-26-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you think he is more likely to call off 2/3 of his stack (when it is very very clear the rest is going in on the turn) than to call off the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

TheWorstPlayer
01-26-2005, 10:55 AM
I understand that some people are stupid and don't realise things like being pot committed, but that can't possibly be the best way to play the hand. If they are that stupid enough to fall for a line like that, then they certainly will lose their stack to a better line which will also stack a more sophisticated player.

amoeba
01-26-2005, 12:15 PM
hi PoBoy, you can also try this line if you are pretty sure they are on overs or AQ.

instead of open betting the flop for $7, push.