PDA

View Full Version : TT, turn play

cold_cash
01-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Both opponents were unknown to me and new to the table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero....?

I had a plan and stuck with it, I'm just wondering if it was sound.

Harv72b
01-26-2005, 01:14 AM
...Hero 3-bets. The real question is what does Hero do if capped?

It's possible that MP3 sucked out on you with A4s, 88, or 99 (or even 89s or JJ), but I think that more often than not you're ahead of him. Which makes getting rid of UTG+1 my top priority.

cold_cash
01-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Okay, we're thinking along the same lines, but what did you decide to do if he caps it?

adamstewart
01-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Hmmm...

I don't like that unexpected turn raise. MP3 cold-called preflop, so I'd be worried about pocket 8's or 9's or J's.

In some cases, though, you'll just get a guy who thinks he's smart and he'll raise a paired 9 or 8, thinking that you have just over cards and have missed the board.

I agree with Harv... getting rid of UTG+1 would be good. But I don't know if he's going anywhere, even for 2 more bets (he's already cold-called two preflop, called the flop, called the turn....).

On the other hand, having UTG+1 stick around and "buffer" your potential losses could be good.

Therefore, as discussed above, you may be behind, but you don't have enough reason to fold.

I think I'd call the turn raise. Then lead out again on the river, but fold if the river is raised.

Just my thoughts...

Adam

Harv72b
01-26-2005, 01:24 AM
That's the real question. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Against an unknown...I think the pot is big enough at that point to donate another 2 BBs on the times when he's got me beat. But I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable advising someone to do that.

Harv72b
01-26-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, having UTG+1 stick around and "buffer" your potential losses could be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like that line a lot more if Hero had AA or KK, but with TT...

UTG+1 would be getting essentially the same pot odds to call 2 more as he had when he called the initial turn bet, but if he's calling with something like JT or QJ, consecutive raises after the board pairs might be enough to convince him to give up the draw. Ditto for an underpair, although that's not a worry.

I don't know, I suspect that I'm often too aggressive in situations like this, but it just doesn't feel right to call the raise.

cold_cash
01-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Well I figured the pot was big enough that I wanted to chase UTG+1 out of there, so I 3-bet intending to fold if MP3 capped it.

I can't remember ever taking that line, and I was just wondering if this was the spot for it. I can't imagine him capping with a hand I'm beating though.

As it happened, I 3-bet, UTG+1 folded, and MP3 called.

River is the 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Sweet, I'm golden.

Hero bets, MP3 calls, Hero gets ready to celebrate, MP3 rakes the pot w/ 99, Hero ponders.