PDA

View Full Version : Set to Set what are the odds

sfwusc
01-26-2005, 12:37 AM
What are the odds that set with meet another set?

66 vs 77 chances of the flop being 67X.

1/(7.5^2) be right? 2%?

SFWUSC

Derek in NYC
01-26-2005, 03:21 AM
doesnt this depend on how many players are dealt in?

jason_t
01-26-2005, 07:10 AM
There are a lot of different questions he could be asking here. With the answer he gives, I think that he is asking: two people are dealt pocket pairs, what is the likelihood that they both flop sets? The answer he gives is roughly correct.

Derek in NYC
01-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Then it is a dumb question, because it only answers the situation of heads up play, set over set. It is not helpful to know these odds. When set over set happens heads up, somebody is going home crying, and there's no way around it.

jason_t
01-26-2005, 03:56 PM
I completely agree. (FWIW, I even think it's not really worth it to know the answer to the other question but I estimated (rather than compute to make the computations easier) that the answer is 1/5433.)

gaming_mouse
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of different questions he could be asking here. With the answer he gives, I think that he is asking: two people are dealt pocket pairs, what is the likelihood that they both flop sets? The answer he gives is roughly correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer he probably really wants to ask (tho he didn't ask it) is:

Given the fact that I have flopped a set myself, what is the chance that I am up against a larger set on a board with one overcard to my set?

In this case, the question becomes, What is the chance that one or 9 oppos (or whatever number there was) has 77?

I've answered this kind of question too many times to do it again right now, tho. I'll leave the math to someone else.

gm