PDA

View Full Version : File extension problem?

nothumb
01-25-2005, 11:54 PM
I just downloaded a game that came in five pieces. One piece is an MSinfo file that won't open. Two large ones are BIN files and two small ones (one corresponding to each BIN) are .cue files. I can't open them to install the game. What gives?

NT

TimM
01-26-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just downloaded a game that came in five pieces. One piece is an MSinfo file that won't open. Two large ones are BIN files and two small ones (one corresponding to each BIN) are .cue files. I can't open them to install the game. What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are CD-rom images. You can use a CD burning program to recreate the original disks.

The MSinfo file is really a text file. Open notepad and then open that file within it. It usually contains instructions.

nothumb
01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks, that makes sense. But I burned two files to one CD (the BIN and cue files corresponding to each other) and it didn't read them? I'll just read the NFO file and try again if that doesn't help.

NT

nothumb
01-26-2005, 12:11 AM
No help on the info file for this problem... it just says burn to CD as you predicted. ??

NT

nothumb
01-26-2005, 12:12 AM
N/M, do I just burn it as a disc image?

liquidboss
01-26-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, that makes sense. But I burned two files to one CD (the BIN and cue files corresponding to each other) and it didn't read them? I'll just read the NFO file and try again if that doesn't help.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

.bin and .cue are images of the cd. Think of them as a blueprint a program uses to make an exact copy of the original cd. You don't want to just burn the files as data, you need to use a program that recognizes them as an image, and burn with that. Then they will be just like the original cds out the package.

TimM
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
N/M, do I just burn it as a disc image?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think so. It sounds like you just burned the actual files to a CD the first time, which is not correct.

nothumb
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

NT

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 03:46 AM
Google for something called Daemon-Tools to mount the images.

Right-click (shift+right-click if non-WinXP) the .nfo file and go to Open With, and choose NotePad or WordPad (sometimes NotePad messes up the formatting).