PDA

View Full Version : AK 2 Pair Slowplayed

DoomSlice
01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Party Poker NL 50
Read on villain, sub-par, exteremely LAGy player who shows down many marginal Ax hands even against PFRs.

Hero ($70) in CO with AKo
Villain ($55) in Button
Table folds to Hero, who raises to $5
Button calls
SB and BB fold

Thoughts - his call means any Axs or any two cards T and above.

Flop($11.50): A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks
Button bets $7
Hero calls $7

Thoughts - It is very likely that Button has a pair of aces or a pair of kings, I want to let him try to hit his kicker so he'll pay me the rest of his stack.

Turn($25.50): T /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero checks
Button bets $20
Hero raises to $43
Button calls all in $23

Thoughts - AHA! I've got him now, he just hit his KT or AT and is going to pay me off big!

River: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Comments, concerns? Think I should have raised the flop?

Autocratic
01-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Kind of personal preference, but I hate slowplaying two pair unless it's a shorthanded game, top two or not. Unless you were sucked out on with a straight, I assume he had a set? A raise on the flop would've been a better option.

soah
01-25-2005, 11:11 PM
You think he'll call raises with Ax but then fold the flop unless he makes two pair? I don't get it. You're hoping he hits one of three cards on the turn, while ignoring the possibility that he may instead be drawing at four outs to make broadway? From the tone of your post I'm assuming that's what happened. I understand the desire to give a LAG some rope to hang himself, but in the context of this post I don't really understand why you felt it was necessary. You've been the aggressor, and he expects you to auto-bet the flop, and it sounds like he'll call you with stuff that's drawing dead... so why not go with that?

TheWorstPlayer
01-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Actually, since the stacks are short, I don't mind your line. At most he is drawing to four outs and more likely he is drawing to two outs or runner runner. Since he is LAG, I think there is a better chance for him to hang himself than for him to call with a hand that you beat here (although you also seemed to imply that he was a bit of a calling station, so betting wouldn't be too bad either.) Basically, I would want to get all-in here against a LAG and your line is not a bad one to do that. Sorry if he sucked out, but I don't mind your line. If you are ahead, he is drawing to four outs at most.

soah
01-25-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(although you also seemed to imply that he was a bit of a calling station, so betting wouldn't be too bad either.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is what had me confused as well. I had to read the post a second time catch the reference to him being a LAG... he is described as a guy that will call a raise with any two broadway cards or any ace and take them to showdown. I'm all for letting LAGs hang themselves, but the reason given for checking the flop was hoping that the guy would improve to a worse two pair? There may be some good arguments for checking the flop, but this isn't one of them.

And from the metagame standpoint... I'm going to be betting a lot of flops that I don't like after I raise preflop, so I better be sure to bet exactly the same when I love the flop, or else my opponents will be able to read me like a book postflop. (Obviously this does not apply if you are checking a lot of flops that you miss as well.) If I want to trap the LAG I'm more likely to bet the flop and check-raise the turn.