PDA

View Full Version : Home game rule list redux... anything i blatantly need to add?

Arsene Lupin III
01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
ULTYHAÜS POKRULZ

All floor decisions are made by the highest ranking official present. Adam is supreme chief floorman. Todd is almost-as-awesome floorman. Palmer is the phone-a-floorman. When sober, all floormen have the right to touch players chips in order to match or count a bet to speed action. If you desire, Adam, when sober, will deal for you-- he is the official house pimp/dealer.

The standard Ultyhaus games are .10/.25 No-limit Texas Hold'em with a minimum buy-in of $3 and a maximum buyin of $25. .25/.50 blind NLHE ($10 min, $50 max), .25/.5, .5/1, and 1/2 limit are available by request.

0. Pay attention!!! I realize that you may be drunk or otherwise distracted during the game, but unless you have a valid excuse. This rule applies to ACTING IN TURN as well as ACTING ON TIME. We will put a 30 second clock on you if you take an exorbitant amount of time to complete your action. Players are granted the privelidge of acting out of turn for bathroom breaks and favors.

1. No string bets. You cannot "call.. and raise" or return to your chips to raise after making a call without declaring raise. If you are preparing a bet, do so on the wooden racetrack. Once you place chips onto the felt, they are considered to be a live bet in the pot.
2. Placing an oversize chip into the pot is a call unless "raise" is stated verbally.
3. Two cards dealt faceup is a misdeal, one card is not (it is dead and will be the burn card).
4. Cash plays only with permission of the floor
5. High denomination chips (i.e. in a cash game all $1 chips and all t$500 chips in tourneys) must be visible to all players (at the front of your stack).
6. Cards speak. Don't get angry at anyone for pointing out that someone misread their cards and has, as a result, beaten you. You should do the same, even if it costs you the pot.
7. In a cash game, a player is not required to table his hand when all-in unless he is the last aggressor. Players must table their hands when allin in a tournament unless there is a side pot.
8. No slow-rolling (Nice hand.. [waits 10 hours] .. but mine beats it.
9. Place bets on the felt, not mixed into the rest of the pot.
10. A hand may not be retrieved from the muck even if mucked mistakenly by a player. If the dealer accidentally mucks the hand, floor will ask the player his exact hole cards and their approximate location in the muck.
11. Odd chips are broken to the smallest denomination. Any resulting odd chips are awarded to the player furthest from the button (i.e. small blind, then big blind, under the gun, etc).
12. TABLE TALK: When out of a hand, do not discuss the action until the hand is complete.
13. TABLE ABSENCES: Players confirmed to play but not present in a tournament will be blinded off away from the table until for the first hour of a tournament. After one hour, their chips are voided. Players otherwise absent from the table will be blinded off in a tournament. Players away from the table will be dealt in but may be immediately folded if it is apparent they are not returning to the table.
14. Unless returning from a table absence, you do not need to post to sit into a cash game, but may not sit in on the button or small blind. If returning from an absence during which you missed both blinds, you must post a live BB and dead SB to play.
15. NO RACES: When a denomination is no longer needed in tournament play, all players with excess chips of said denomination will have their odd chips rounded to the next denomination.
16. Standard Tournament Format: T5000 if a freezeout, T2500 if a rebuy tourney. T2500 Addon allowed at the end of the second round of levels in rebuy tourneys. Seats will be randomly assigned at the start of the tournament and during any table breaks. Tables will be balanced if any table has two players more than another. Tournaments are expected to last 4.5 hours on average (excluding breaks), so don't play unless you're willing to stay that late.
17. $1s, $5s, and $10s are preferred to $20s when buying in to either game. House credit must be repaid the following game or it will not be extended for that game. Markers are preferred.
18. It is poor ettiquette to make forward motions to fold, bet, or raise without doing so.
19. DO NOT AGGRESSIVELY ADVERTISE OUR GAME. WE DO NOT WANT A.L.E. AGENTS BUSTING OUR MICROLIMIT POKER GAME BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BRING TWENTY SEVEN FRIENDS TO PLAY. ALL TWO TABLE TOURNAMENTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED WITH A FEW DAYS NOTICE AND HOPEFULLY CLOSED FOR REGISTRATION WITHIN A DAY.
20. Do not cheat. We hope our respect is worth more than any amount you can take from the table at these limits.

Fins
01-26-2005, 09:38 AM
Here are some additions that either weren't mentioned or weren't clear... (you may have covered a few but I didn't re-read to confirm... lazy, I know /images/graemlins/wink.gif)... Also may want to refernce Robert's Rules in some way... or just leave it at TD Rules - live w/ it!

Additions...
Only one player to a hand - If you are not in the hand, do not talk about the hand

LIMIT PLAY
A bet & three raises (4- total) are allowed per betting round. Raises during heads up play are unlimited

All primary actions are binding and final e.g. mucking the big blind instead of checking is still a fold

Show one show all, cards and people.

No splashing the pot

Table stakes... Money/chips cannot be removed or added during a hand

The cards speak for themselves.

Keep cards/chips visible at all times and on the table - removing your cards from the table is a fold.

The player to the right of the dealer will shuffle the cards; the player to the left of the dealer will cut the cards; and a cut card will be used.

- Fins

Eric H
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Why go to all this work when someone else has already done it for you!

Roberts Rules of Poker for Home Games: http://www.pokercoach.us/RobsPkrRulesHome.htm

Tournament Directors Association Rules: http://www.pokertda.com/rules4.rtf

Good luck!

Arsene Lupin III
01-26-2005, 11:53 AM
I vastly prefer writing my own list of rules to editing down the ones on his site. It's more fun. I plan on doing another drunken angry edit of the rules soon.

Roberts rules and the TDA procedures are great for cardrooms, but this is a home game. If I need a reference, I'll consult them. My list is -one sheet- of paper posted on the wall next to our beer die and beirut rules. I may add a second page and laminate it, but I don't really care enough to do so.

Arsene Lupin III
01-26-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Additions...
Only one player to a hand - If you are not in the hand, do not talk about the hand

[/ QUOTE ]
12 covers this.

[ QUOTE ]

LIMIT PLAY
A bet & three raises (4- total) are allowed per betting round. Raises during heads up play are unlimited

[/ QUOTE ]
This varies from room to room. We don't play limit, but if we do we'll make it 4 raises just to spite you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

All primary actions are binding and final e.g. mucking the big blind instead of checking is still a fold

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't apply that example of the rule all the time, even tho rule 10 and rule 0 describe it exactly. We're friendly enough to let inattentive doofs take their hand back.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The cards rule only applies at showdown, right?

[ QUOTE ]

No splashing the pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Rule 9, but I never used the word splash. oh well

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Forgot this one. The floor allows exceptions for marker removal.

[ QUOTE ]

The cards speak for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
6, with explanation.

[ QUOTE ]

Keep cards/chips visible at all times and on the table - removing your cards from the table is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mostly covered by 5, will edit for the cards. That does get annoying.

[ QUOTE ]

The player to the right of the dealer will shuffle the cards; the player to the left of the dealer will cut the cards; and a cut card will be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't follow dealer procedure. No one in our game has any semblance of how to manipulate a deck--including myself.

I can, however, do a very quick riffle and (accurate) pitch so I offer to deal the cards and then pass them the deck so they can "make the flop," etc.

Personally, I like this procedure best..
Find the most attentive person in the game and make them the pot manager. They bring bets into the pot and deal the flop, turn and river. Then find the best pure 'pitcher' of cards and have them cut and deal the deck shuffled by a dedicated shuffler. You can assign two or three people to each task depending on the size of the game and sobriety of the players. Static D = key to a smooth game. It's also impossible for the dealer to go all mechanic on the deck.

Most people in the game realize that I'm usually playing 4 tables online with a stack on each equal to all of the money on the table.

Fins
01-26-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LIMIT PLAY

[/ QUOTE ]
This varies from room to room. We don't play limit, but if we do we'll make it 4 raises just to spite you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The cards rule only applies at showdown, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It refers to cards flashed or accidently seen.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Forgot this one. The floor allows exceptions for marker removal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, got one... LOL... almost anyway. Do you let markers that could play be removed _during a hand_ /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mostly covered by 5, will edit for the cards. That does get annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only put it for the cards... just didn't take the time to edit (or apparently read your list more closely /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't follow dealer procedure. No one in our game has any semblance of how to manipulate a deck--including myself.

I can, however, do a very quick riffle and (accurate) pitch so I offer to deal the cards and then pass them the deck so they can "make the flop," etc.

Personally, I like this procedure best..
Find the most attentive person in the game and make them the pot manager. They bring bets into the pot and deal the flop, turn and river. Then find the best pure 'pitcher' of cards and have them cut and deal the deck shuffled by a dedicated shuffler. You can assign two or three people to each task depending on the size of the game and sobriety of the players. Static D = key to a smooth game. It's also impossible for the dealer to go all mechanic on the deck.

Most people in the game realize that I'm usually playing 4 tables online with a stack on each equal to all of the money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the people good at being Pot Managers take on the role themselves!

Nice list,

Fins