PDA

View Full Version : AA

elonkra
01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
So, I sit down at a $0.25/$0.50 NL game with $5 and turn it into $25 in an hour or so w/tight play. I get AA in the big blind and bet $2 (8 times the big blind) preflop.

One caller in middle position, flop comes KQJ rainbow, roughly $5 in the pot.

Kind of a scary flop, so I bet $3.50.

Preflop caller calls the $3.50, turn brings another Jack, I bet another $3.50, and the guy calls me again.

The river brings a third Jack to the board, I have $15 or so left, and there is $33.00 in the pot.

What do you do? What would you have done differently up to this point? Results in white below.

<font color="white">Jackass had J4 offsuit and (for obvious reasons) called my $15 all in bet.
</font>

Snag
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm confused as to how $2 is 8x BB when the BB is .50.

I would think 8x the BB would be $4.

But, I dunno.

Anyways, I make a 6 - 8x BB raise PF, like you supposedly did.

Then I make a near pot sized bet.

The smooth call should have you a little nervous, especially when the second J hits.

You could be looking at KK, QQ, QJ, KJ or AT.

So, I suppose to avoid looking completely week, you make the same bet you made on the flop on the turn. (That's not unreasonable.

I think the third jack on the river should make you feel really confident in your hand.

The odds this guy has a J are probably pretty small.

So, I'd go ahead and get my money in the pot on the river.

elonkra
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I guess I'm mixing up the terminology, but the site i play at refers to the table I'm talking about as a $0.25/$0.50 table, even though the big blind is $0.25 (I guess the $0.25 refers to the minimum flop bet requirement and the $0.50 refers to the minimum turn and river bet requirements). But yes, I did bet 8x the big blind, in spite of my confusing post.

el kang
01-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Beware the smooth caller. His flop and pre-flop call is a big mistake. He should have raised you or folded on the flop. But, you already know that since he's a jackass.

But, on the turn I would have checked (and folded to a bet) or bet $10. (any call and I consider the hand lost). Otherwise to answer you question, I would have bet like you on the river. If I had a good read, I would check.

TheWorstPlayer
01-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Just push the river and get called by KQ, KT, AK. Also, don't buy in for $5. If you check, you have to call anyways when you are behind so make sure it is going in when you are ahead as well.

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 04:59 AM
Then you're probably playing on Poker Room if I'm not mistaken, it's the only place I've seen name their blinds this way.

At any other site besides Poker Room, .25/.50 refers to the SB / BB and not the minimum bet sizes on the pre-flop / flop and the turn / river.