PDA

View Full Version : So much for free speech

sameoldsht
01-25-2005, 06:36 PM
So much for free speech (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2671384,00.html)

[ QUOTE ]
Nearly 240 people were arrested Oct. 9 for blocking the parade route in protest of Columbus' landing in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, blocking parade routes (aka silencing free speech) is no longer against the law. Note to anarchists: feel free to physically block parades and when arrested, cite Denver cases aquitting those that did it there.

Would parade blockers be found "innocent" if they blocked, say, a gay rights parade? How about a pro-abortion parade? I think not.

bholdr
01-25-2005, 06:54 PM
first of all blocking a parade route is not "silencing free speech" it is at worst delaying it with civil disobeidance.

[ QUOTE ]
Would parade blockers be found "innocent" if they blocked, say, a gay rights parade? How about a pro-abortion parade? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you think that? because you're paranoid. What a bizzare statment.

..and the columbus day protesters were not found innocent. their cased were dropped. read the article.

Broken Glass Can
01-25-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you think that? because you're paranoid. What a bizzare statment.

[/ QUOTE ]

They go hellbent after people who speak out at Gay rallies and marches. A group are being prosecuted in Philadelphia now. LINK (http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42492)

lastchance
01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
They won the court battle.

Apparently, people are allowed to block parades to make a statement, no matter what it is.

This shouldn't change.

cardcounter0
01-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Let me know if a "pro-abortion" parade ever takes place.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bholdr
01-25-2005, 11:25 PM
the words "pro abortion" are a perfect example of the willingness of conservatives to recontextulize any issue to favor their own opinions. saying "pro abortion" is like a liberal calling anti abortion activists "anti-woman's rights"

<sigh>

moodifier
01-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Speaking of free speech..
(You probabably already know this but)in recent months/years, specific places called "Free-Speech Zones" have been put into place whereupon those contra the represented individuals must be in these areas. In many cases, these "zones" were well away from venues (from 1/2 mile up to 1 mile) that for example Mr. Bush was due to arrive/speak.

This is free speech? To me it seems that since these areas are so far from the activities, they have no affect on them at all and many people go misrepresented everyday.

bholdr
01-26-2005, 01:11 AM
I agree: this is a much bigger threat to our freedoms than arrested protestors that eventually get their charges dropped. i wish ore protesters were willing to be arrested for thier beliefs- esp those that were relagated to those 'free speech zones' during this year's national party convention.

do they really call them 'free speech zones'? that sounds even more Orwellian than the "department of homeland security". oh well, ignorance is strength, and we are the strongest nation on earth.

CORed
01-26-2005, 01:12 AM
I have this silly idea that the whole damn country's supposed to be a "free speech zone". I guess that's what I get for being foolish enough to think the Constitution still means someting.