PDA

View Full Version : Positive EV in the strangest of places (no poker content)

SoCalPat
01-25-2005, 06:34 PM
There's a vending machine at work that has trouble with ... uhhh ... dispensing its product.

It's a soda machine, and the bottle/can comes out a door at the bottom of the machine. But quite frequently, it doesn't come out fast enough to come through the door. As a result, at least 4-5 times in the past two weeks, I've gotten something from the vending machine ... only to have two items come out ... the byproduct of someone who believed they got stiffed by the machine.

If the "bonus" product is something I like, I take it myself. If it's something I'm not fond of (Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, etc.), I take it up to my department and give it to someone there. The genorosity kickbacks haven't come in yet, but I expect them to any day /images/graemlins/wink.gif

This, however, pales in comparison to another vending machine that, to use a poker term, dealt me a royal flush in a capped pot PF. Once, in pushing the two-button combination for a bag of chips, I must've accidentally hit another combo that gave the machine a test run of all its dispensers. As a result, one-by-one, the metal rings started spinning and left me with one of EVERYTHING from the vending machine. I ended up with a box full of about 40-50 items ... bags of chips, gum, cookies, candy bars, etc.

Any other stories of finding "positive EV" away from the tables?

felson
01-25-2005, 06:50 PM
What was the combo?

XXXXING FISH
01-25-2005, 09:18 PM
The company I work pays for our drinking water. So there really is no need for me to bring in bottle water unless I am too lazy to walk down the hall to get a drink. Also, the restrooms are free of charge. I try to use the restrooms as much to prevent water consumption at home. It is pretty sweet if you ask me.