PDA

View Full Version : HOH on early tourney "looseness"

wadea
01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
There is a part in HOH where Dan says that it can be advantageous to be somewhat active early in a tournament. The idea being that by the middle of the thing, the stronger players have most of the chips and shouldn't you rather take them from the weak players before they lose them than have to try taking them from better players.

This seems to go against the dogmatic 2+2 SNG formula of shutting down early and playing more later (which has served me well), but it may apply to SNGs as well. Any opinions out there?

Lastly, I took my first ever 10th place yesterday. I lost with KK and somehow had half of my chips left to lose ten hands later holding AA. Both were played aggressively (didn't lose more on KK thanks to Rnd 1 blinds of 5/10 at UB).

-w.a.

11t
01-25-2005, 06:32 PM
If you get all your chips in with the best hand and lose then I don't see what the problem is. Folding AA or KK preflop just to avoid getting drawn out on is ridiculous.

El Maximo
01-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I read HOH and really enjoyed it. I didnt find much that could be applied to Party SnG format. I think the tiny stack sizes and fast rising blinds dont allow for any creative play. I think Dan was referring to larger MTT formats with deep stacks and slow rising blinds. I found the chapters about post flop betting exceptional. I also found the random generator section interesting. I think both of these concepts could be applied to Party SnGs.

protoverus
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
El Maximo,

I found the book very helpful for SNG's because alot of the problems in the problem sections are SNG situations. I agree that the written segments focus on the big tourneys though.

A quick perusal shows about 33% of the problems are from SNG's (or one table satellites, same thing). I liked these alot.

Be well.