PDA

View Full Version : Call this river bet?

mason55
01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
$10NL at Pacific. I'm in MP3 with KQo and have $20, villain has around $20, haven't been at the table too long but havne't seen villain do anything wild yet.

A few limpers to me I raise to $.60 villain calls, UTG calls, everyone else folds.

Flop is 6Q4, two hearts. checked to me, I bet pot, villain calls, UTG calls. Pot is now around $6.

Turn is offsuit 8. Checked to me, I bet 1/2 pot villain calls, UTG folds. Pot is $12, we both have around $15 behind.

River is offsuit 4. I bet 1/3 of pot ($4), looking for a cheap showdown with a KQ, JQ, etc. Villain moves all in for $11 more. When villain just called the whole time I put him on a flush draw because most other hands would raise to get any draws out, correct? (set, two pair) and AQ would raise me for value. I saw this river all in as a missed flush draw. Anyone make this call? Lay it down and wait for a better opportunity?

Benal
01-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Call me weak, but I check/call a marginal river bet. Fold if he pushes.

mason55
01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
So you're putting all this money into the pot to check call a river bet? I just see a check as a great way to induce a bluff that I don't really want to induce. I guess I should fold if he comes over the top of my blocking bet or else that defeats the purpose.

Benal
01-25-2005, 06:07 PM
You might have gotten a showdown for the same price. You bet $4, he pushes, you fold.. damn. You check, he bets $4, you call.

PS. Its not a blocking bet if you've been betting all the way.

mason55
01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
This is one of those situations where reads would have helped my river decision immesely.

kurto
01-25-2005, 06:18 PM
"A few limpers to me I raise to $.60 villain calls, UTG calls, everyone else folds." I imagine this is the first mistake. KQ os is not a premium hand.

"When villain just called the whole time I put him on a flush draw because most other hands would raise to get any draws out, correct? (set, two pair)" That's player dependent. At that level, I'd say no more then 10% of the players are that sophisticated. Many WON'T reraise because they think, "I'm not going to put more money in because if that flush hits, it cost me x dollars." Also... wise or not, I have also slowplayed in this situation (with few players) because I DON'T want to scare the draws out. With less players preflop, there's less of a chance that he has the draw in question. I sometimes risk a bad card to get additional bets out of him. (Not saying this is the case, but its worth considering)

"Anyone make this call? Lay it down and wait for a better opportunity?" Its so player dependent. And since you have no read, I would err on laying it down.

Last night, one player kept raising me on the river. Like 4 hands in a row. I KNEW he couldn't have me everytime. (He had position on me.) And my ego wanted to call. But I told myself.. if he's screwing with you, wait for a better hand. Let him think he can push you around. A few hands later, I re-re-raised him with top 2 pair and cut him in half. He started checking most of my raises from then on.

I don't think TP 2nd best kicker is necessarily the hand to be making a stand. And its not worthy of a 6xBB raise preflop.