PDA

View Full Version : Small Conundrum: Job and life choices

Zeno
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Last week, X, representing company Y, which is doing well and growing though small, called and said he wanted to hire me. They know me through pervious work I did for them on a contract basis. I had an 'interview' this morning that was really just a - this is were our company is at and we want you to work for us where are you at- thing.

Trouble is I was just hired 4 months ago by company Z, that is larger and also doing well. I would be doing essentially the same type of work for both companies.

I am in a small conundrum. I made a few comments in the interview that, one; I would not leave company Z for less than a 7k raise in salary, two; that I didn't like leaving company X after only 4 months, and three; that I would want to grow and become more senior in the company if I did switch.

I work in a small town with many interactive companies competing for many of the same contracts so there is plenty of gossip and politics about jobs and hires etc., almost like a Peyton place atmosphere. So word flows around and comes around etc.

I eventually want to move back to the Northwest or Northern California and that would be much easier to do with the company that I presently work for, as they have offices in that area, whereas company Y does not.

Anyway I discussed the above with a colleague over lunch and he said basically – “most companies are the same master, so go with the money”. Sage advice? I called my former boss and owner of a company that I contracted for and she knows the president of company Y – spoke highly of the potential of the company that wishes to steal me away.

A decision is looming. So I am going to go hiking and rambling about starting tomorrow, since I am on off days right now until Monday. I promised X some sort of answer next week. He is amiable to me putting off a final decision for a few weeks or as much as two months but not too much longer than that. So I have some time even though they want to hire me ASAP.

Comments or advice.

-Zeno

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow. This is a tough one. If it looks like you've got a better/quicker path to the top of the smaller place and you really think they're on their way up, it might be too much to pass up. I'd definitely push for a substantial raise over what you're getting now and it sounds like they'd probably go for that. On the other hand, it is pretty crappy to jump ship from your current employer after only a few months - they might not like that a whole lot and I'm not sure it looks too good when people look back on that in the future.

Whatever you do, be sure you're not burning any bridges. Is your field the kind where people are almost expected to jump from company to company? For instance, from what I know, if you work for one of the big 3 auto makers in the US, it's pretty much expected that you've worked for all of them and you'll probably switch again soon. The same is true in the aerospace industry to a smaller extent and I think it's pretty much assumed in IT fields that you're going to job hop - I know people who have jobs in IT-ish fields that keep their resume out and looking for other jobs pretty much constantly.

judgesmails
01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Take the extra $$ and move. Your current employer, "company Z" may even step and offer you more to stay when you tell them you leaving for more $$.

I agree with your colleague - there is an a - hole around every corner. Ultimately, the specifics of who you work for does not matter much. Take what you can get and do your best.

turnipmonster
01-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I am usually a "go for the money" type person, but it seems like there is more going on (i.e. possible relocation). so if that is a possibility, that would affect my decision greatly if I were in your shoes.

another thing to consider is company Y will probably respect your reasons (not jumping ship), and things may work out down the line. My girlfriend's dad had company H offering him a job for years before they finally made it a standing offer and he eventually took it.

tough decision, hope this helps and everything works out for you.
--turnipmonster

ThaSaltCracka
01-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Zeno,
I would talk to your current employeer about the situation and tell them that you are thinking about switching jobs. It seems to me that you have a lot of leverage here as well because you essentially have the other job locked up.
-TSC

shant
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
This is essentially the same way interactive [censored] works in LA. Usually what happens is you go for the money, and since you've already got the other job in the background, you might get counter-offers and end up getting paid a lot more than you used to.

Utah
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Nothing in a career will F#@$ you more than chasing the money. IMHO - chasing the money is the absolute worst career move people make.

I dont really know enough of your story but it doesnt seem like they are giving you enough incentive to leave. the additional money doesnt amount to much and the responsibility is roughly the same. There is a cost associated with leaving a company you like after 4 months. When you make those kind of jumps they should be associated with a big increase in both compensation AND responsibility.

My 2 cents.

bholdr
01-25-2005, 06:47 PM
benifits, hours, potential for promotion, contractual obligations, relationships w/ boss/coworkers, commute, travel, job satisfaction in terms of: productivity, comfort, responsibility, and your ability to have an impact on your company, location, location, location.

you've got a lot to consider, my freind. good luck to you.
though, i have to say, it looks like you're looking for encouragement to make the switch. go for it.

Zeno
01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks to all for the excellent responses. I do think that I should be compensated more if I do choose to leave, I set the bar lower to make it more realistic to the smaller company I may move to and money is not my only concern, I can be level headed about it but the money thing is always tricky in more ways than one.

And there are other parameters in the equation that were pointed out that I must consider but I'm off to the movies and to relax for now.

-Zeno