PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

NoChance
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't own a camera and have started looking at purchasing a digital camera. I have been told to get one with 5 megapixels. So, in my brief attempt at reading reviews and comparing prices, I am leaning towards the Kodak EasyShare CX7530.

Does anyone own a digital camera, maybe the one specified? What are some of the things I should consider in purchasing a digital camera?

I also looked at the Nikon Coolpix 4100 but most reviews say it's got a real slow shutter speed. The other I am considering might be the Cannon Powershot A95.

(Starting to look at cell phones too, but that comes later)

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't own a camera and have started looking at purchasing a digital camera. I have been told to get one with 5 megapixels. So, in my brief attempt at reading reviews and comparing prices, I am leaning towards the Kodak EasyShare CX7530.

Does anyone own a digital camera, maybe the one specified? What are some of the things I should consider in purchasing a digital camera?

I also looked at the Nikon Coolpix 4100 but most reviews say it's got a real slow shutter speed. The other I am considering might be the Cannon Powershot A95.

(Starting to look at cell phones too, but that comes later)

[/ QUOTE ]
Third digital camera thread in a week? Nice!

Freakin
01-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Get a Nikon D70... they're beautiful....

In general, most of the point & shoot digital cameras you get are going to be slow. Go to dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com) and you can get some rather informed reviews on a lot of cameras, as well as an excellent message board.

Freakin

NoChance
01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those threads is great if I want to learn about El Diablo's apartment. The other is a little better but I'm interested in more than just the batteries. The comment about 3 megapixels being enough is interesting though.

Popinjay
01-25-2005, 06:23 PM
How much do you want to spend? Is size a factor for you?

Megapixels don't really matter that much as long as you're above 4 you should be fine.

My recs are Panasonic Lumix FZ20 for $500. Best digital non-SLR you can get, it is an amazing camera.

And, Panasonic FX7 for small form factor. Very tiny, 2.5" LCD on back, looks great, takes good pictures.

wacki
01-25-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, and the quality of the posters is going down the tubes as well. Astroglide doesn't even post in OOT tech threads anymore.

Back to topic:

Megapixels aren't everything. Don't be fooled because one companies stats are "better" than anothers.

The Megapixel Myth
http://www.thetechlounge.com/article.php?directory=beyond_megapixels_part_1

Also, it's a shame nobody has said Canon Powershot S series.

www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com)

That's all the info you need.

Sponger15SB
01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article.php?directory=beyond_megapixels_part_1

[/ QUOTE ]

none of that means anything to me or most people.

scotnt73
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
i have thekodak easyshare cx3330 and the wife and i love it. i got it for her for christmas. its easy to use and the pictures are beutiful. i got it, a 512 mb stick for it, a battery recharger and rechargable batteries, and a nice case for it for about 325$ total. if your a camera noob like us youll love it. its just point and click and the picture wind up looking like you know what your doing.

ps the cx3330 has 4.1 megapixels and with the 512 stick it holds hundreds of pictures. i looked at the cx3350 your talking about and the salesman couldnt point out any of the extras it had on it that i was looking for to make me want to pay the extra $ so i felt the extra money was better spent on the other stuff. just my opinion. if you know more about taking pictures than me you might want those extras but i wanted it as simple as possible.