PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a Pistola

JDErickson
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Looking to purchase a good Pistol. Used ok if in good shape.

Considering a 40 or maybe 10mm

Anyone know any good sources? (legal of course)

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking to purchase a good Pistol. Used ok if in good shape. Considering a 40 or maybe 10mm Anyone know any good sources? (legal of course)

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your local paper. If there aren't any there. Look for ads for upcoming gun shows. There are always good deals at the gun shows.

Big Mac
01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looking to purchase a good Pistol. Used ok if in good shape.

Considering a 40 or maybe 10mm

Anyone know any good sources? (legal of course)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes join the ranks of hard asses. Welcome.

You sure you wouldn't want a semi?

JDErickson
01-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Was thinking of something along these lines:

SW99 (http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293605&item=831353&sw_activeTab=1)

fatmongo
01-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Gun Broker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com) of course. Ebay for guns.

swede123
01-25-2005, 04:49 PM
First of all, you need to have a budget in mind. As with any purchase this is the first thing to think about, as there will no doubt be guns that are awesome, but out of your price range. Don't even bother looking at these as it will just depress you.

Next you really should go to a reputable dealer that will let you test shoot varies pistols before you buy. If this is not possible at least go to Gart Sport or something and handle the different guns. You need to find one that fits your hand somewhat, as they vary greatly in terms of size and weight. Often size dictates the capabilities of the gun (i.e. a larger gun will have a longer barrel for greater accuracy, and a larger magazine capacity).

Personally I own a .40 cal Glock 22. This is a pretty good compromize between price and quality, but since it is a full size pistol it wouldn't be real good for concealed carry (if that is your purpose). It can hold 15 rounds in the magazine and will pretty much feed any and all ammo. you throw its way. It's also one of the most popular guns for law enforcement agencies across the U.S.

All across the board Glocks are known for no-frills guns that shoot well, are incredibly durable and low maintenance, and fairly affordable for the quality. Expect to spend about $500 for a new Glock pistol, and about $300-400 for a reliable used model.

Other brands to look at are Ruger (cheaper than Glock, more basic, but still solid weapons), Sig-Sauer (more expensive and somewhat fancier in terms of finishes etc), Heckler & Koch (high quality, very expensive), Smith & Wesson (ranging from inexpensive to fairly fancy depending on model), and a bunch of other manufacturers.

Once you find a gun that fits you and your needs you want to look around at used models in Gunshops and the like, as well as any firearms/hunting shows/expos that are coming up in your area.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Swede

2planka
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
I like that weapon. I have a SW4013 under the pillow (got it originally for my wife). Very similar to the one you've picked out. Easy to handle, makes a big noise. Nice hunk of metal.

Ray Zee
01-25-2005, 04:55 PM
swedes advice is very good. but buy new. used guns are sold for a reason. many times its because of some little quirk that only happens every so often. like it hangs up. not fun to happen if you are betting your life on that next bang. buy new.

SomethingClever
01-25-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/desert_eagle/desert_eagle.gif

POWN

ChicagoTroy
01-25-2005, 06:30 PM
The only guy I personally know with a lot of experience using firearms on people always recommended a magnum snubby revolver for concealed carry. Take it out and pull the trigger. If nothing happens, pull it again. Reliability is huge, and a good revolver will always be more reliable than any automatic.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Thread within a thread. I am looking for a carry pistol. Semi -Auto, something that will fit nice in a leg holster. Any suggestions? Looking for something very reliable and also fun to shoot at the range.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I've been thinking about this gun web page (http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-sub-compact.shtml) but it is a new product so the reviews aren't out yet.

swede123
01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thread within a thread. I am looking for a carry pistol. Semi -Auto, something that will fit nice in a leg holster. Any suggestions? Looking for something very reliable and also fun to shoot at the range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slacker,

It really depends on what caliber you want. If you want .45 Glock 36 is a great choice. It's single stack, which means it's much narrower than other Glock pistols. The flipside of this is that it only holds six rounds. Still, for carry in an ankle holster it is pretty sweet. Here's a link to it... Glock 36 (http://www.glock.com/g36.htm) This may not be the best gun if you want something for the range. Since it's smaller it will have more kick to it than larger pistols. Also, 45ACP is a pretty expensive round, so if you want to use it much for plinking you can end up spending a few bucks on ammo.

If you are willing to go for a smaller round there are many choices out there. Glock models 26 and 27 are fairly small, but yet powerful weapons. Sig P229 is another good choice... Sig P229 (http://www.sigarms.com/products/classiccompactsize-models.asp?product_id=39)

Ultimately if you are wanting a gun for carry you also should consider a revolver. Smith & Wesson makes several low profile snub-nosed guns that would fit the bill nicely.

Cheers,

Swede

benfranklin
01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SIG P232 (http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicpersonalsize-models.asp?product_id=42)

JDErickson
01-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I found a S&W Sigma 40 for a good price here in town new at $299

Any comments on this gun?

swede123
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
For $299 that's a pretty good price. You could do alot worse.

Cheers,

Swede

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 08:16 PM
I have the Glock Mod 17 (not a carry gun) and I really like the gun but would like to try something new. I am going to look closer at the Sig, most likely the 9mm. Thanks

benfranklin
01-25-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the Glock Mod 17 (not a carry gun) and I really like the gun but would like to try something new. I am going to look closer at the Sig, most likely the 9mm. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The P229 is about the same size as the Glock 17. For a smaller 9mm, look at the SIG P239. SIG P239 (http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicpersonalsize-models.asp?product_id=43)

The only smaller 9mm I would look at is the Kahr (http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/perfect_pocket_protection/)
which I have heard good things about, but have no personal knowledge.

HDPM
01-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Re-read Zee's post about used.

Smith and Wesson makes some good revolvers.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Richard Tanner
01-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Okay the Deagle is a bit much. Get the .50 cal and you'll blow you shoulder out when you fire, lol.

Cody

SomethingClever
01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay the Deagle is a bit much. Get the .50 cal and you'll blow you shoulder out when you fire, lol.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I was waiting for someone to notice what that was.

benfranklin
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Smith and Wesson makes some good revolvers.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has biases and opinions about products and companies, based on lots of different things. You have to go with what works for you.

My opinions about S&W are:

I would never buy one of their semi-autos.

They make the best revolvers in the world.

Classic S&W revolvers from some years back are better than their current line.

I have no facts to back up any of those statements, just my opinions. I have 3 S&W revolvers, all bought used. All work flawlessly.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only smaller 9mm I would look at is the Kahr

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only done a tiny bit of research but I did read a lot of great things about the Kahr. Thanks for the link, I am going to take a closer look.

Ray Zee
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
a range gun and a carry gun are two different things you cant have both without too much compromise.
a carry gun is there to save your life, nothing else. so buy new and not whats trendy or hot on tv. that for me anyways, boils down to a j frame 38 or 357 s&w. i like the 340pd titanium 357. lightest weight piece around that shoots something i want to have. it belongs in your pocket or close by that. not in your ankle where you cant get it. and in a tough spot you wont be getting to your ankle.
if you can put it in your pocket it is likely to be there. other places take time and trouble and likely you will leave the gun home. it cant hit anything at home when you arent.
for my vehicle a 44 mag sits in the doorwell. thats what i want there.
sometimes when i want lots of firepower (shots) i carry a glock 19. but i never know for sure if it will go bang.

JDErickson
01-25-2005, 10:09 PM
I plan on using the gun for home defense (not carry), occasional plinking and also to carry in my truck center consol on those long trips to the back deserts of nevada.

I would also like something the wife could use if needed.

I thought a 40 would be a good compromise for all this.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I disagree. You gotta break a pistol in anyway. And you should put enough rounds through it to be comfortable with it but there's nothing wrong with a used pistol.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I plan on using the gun for home defense (not carry), occasional plinking and also to carry in my truck center consol on those long trips to the back deserts of nevada.

I would also like something the wife could use if needed.

I thought a 40 would be a good compromise for all this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love my Glock 21 .45 with the extended magazine. If they get through 17 .45 rounds, they can have me.

HDPM
01-25-2005, 10:34 PM
he was talking about a sigma mind you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HDPM
01-25-2005, 10:43 PM
See, you do have facts. You have S&W revolvers and they are great. I have one and it is excellent. Others I have shot are great. On to the semiautos. I, alas, have some first hand experience with a smith .40 that was better than a Sigma. It had poor ergonomics, mediocre design, a terrible trigger, and poor reliability. Not a bad pistol for drills because you got to practice taprackbangs and learn to get stuck magazines out of the pistol. What a boat anchor. Disclaimer is that I have only had one. Won't by finding out if others perform similarly. The same model I had also had some frame cracking problems I think. And this was before their most recent difficulties.

HDPM
01-25-2005, 10:53 PM
.40 is an excellent caliber. Much better for what you want than 10mm I think. But the specific caliber isn't the main priority. Decide what you want and then get an appropriate caliber. Seriously tell me what difference it will mean to you to have .40 over 9mm. Or .40 over .45.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
used guns are sold for a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree but some guns fire just as well new or used, the Glock I bought was used and has never misfired but you do need to know what to look for in a used gun, for example people who shoot a lot of reloads can ruin the ramp of the gun, most cheap reloads come with metal deposits in them that scar both the ramp and the barrel and that will cause many problems in both accuracy and jamming.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gun Broker.com of course. Ebay for guns.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought my Colt AR-15 from there, it was delivered in 3 days. Great place to look for guns with some very competetive prices. Nobody came close to the price I payed for my AR on Gunbroker, not even the gun show guys. I would buy there again.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love my Glock 21 .45 with the extended magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake, didn't know you liked guns. I have a hundred yard outdoor range 3 miles from my house, should come by one day and we will do some shooting. Poker at night of course.

Slacker13
01-26-2005, 12:11 AM
web page (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4487)

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
web page (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4487)

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw that on TV last night. What will they think of next?

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See, you do have facts. You have S&W revolvers and they are great. I have one and it is excellent. Others I have shot are great. On to the semiautos. I, alas, have some first hand experience with a smith .40 that was better than a Sigma. It had poor ergonomics, mediocre design, a terrible trigger, and poor reliability. Not a bad pistol for drills because you got to practice taprackbangs and learn to get stuck magazines out of the pistol. What a boat anchor. Disclaimer is that I have only had one. Won't by finding out if others perform similarly. The same model I had also had some frame cracking problems I think. And this was before their most recent difficulties.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always found S&Ws to have a little harder buck, and to fit people with bigger hands better so maybe not the best choice if you want your wife to fire it. Just my $.02 from someone with small hands.