PDA

View Full Version : Bet hands like this?

istewart
01-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Several limpers, one of two situations:

1) You're in the blinds with something like K9, T7s, J8 -- something very marginal.
2) You limp in MP/LP with JTs-67s.

You flop top pair, i.e. with a flop of 7-5-2 to your 87s or 9-7-5 to your Q9s. You're almost certain you'll be called if you bet, typical loose players. Are these hands worth betting if:

1) You're first to act in the blinds?
2) You're checked to in MP-LP?

Stacks range upwards from 100BB typically, if that's of importance.

Any opinions welcome for those familiar with small stakes.

Kaz The Original
01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
GREAT question.

istewart
01-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks. If only someone would help /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saddlepoint
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I think the single most important piece of information is how many limpers exactly, how many people in front of you and behind you.

kurto
01-25-2005, 03:53 PM
"You flop top pair, i.e. with a flop of 7-5-2 to your 87s or 9-7-5 to your Q9s. You're almost certain you'll be called if you bet, typical loose players. Are these hands worth betting if:"

I bet them all the time and find it profitable. I take the pot uncontested a lot of the times. If I only get called, and nothing particulary scary hits (obvious draws... A or K, etc.), I'll make a slightly larger bet.

If anyone reraises... and I don't have any draws.. I drop it.

As long as you know when to walk away, you can make money on these hands.

PoBoy321
01-25-2005, 04:00 PM
I think that there are a number of factors. This used to be one of my biggest leaks, betting marginal hands when I thought I was ahead to protect small pots.

Out of position in a small pot, I would check, hope to get the free card and then check/fold the turn unimproved. In late position or with larger pots, I feel that it's more important to bet these marginal hands because you a) want to take down these pots right now and b) want to protect your hand against overcards.

This is kind of a classic situation where you want to bet because you don't want to give free cards to let other hands outdraw you, but at the same time, realize that you'll only be called by a hand that beats you. In a small pot, you're giving up little EV by check/folding, but in a larger pot, it becomes more important to protect your marginal holdings when they might be best.

kurto
01-25-2005, 04:38 PM
"Out of position in a small pot, I would check, hope to get the free card and then check/fold the turn unimproved." I agree with that too. Though outside of the blinds, I rarely have these hands out of position.

On the other hand, so often it is the best hand, and people fold so often... its worth taking a shot.

(matter of fact... people call so often with middle pair, it boggles my mind.)