PDA

View Full Version : Fold with Pocket Aces?

JackedUp
01-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Blinds are .25/.50. You're in the big blind with AA. An EP calls the blind. A MP raises to $3.50. It's folded to you and you reraise to $7.00. The EP folds and the MP calls.

The flop is 379 rainbow. You bet $10 and he reraises all in with $43.50 which has you covered. You don't not know anything about this player since it's only your third hand at the table. Do you call or fold?

My friend and I debated the hand. He thinks it's a fold since you don't know the player and he could have 77, 99 or at such a low limit it's even possible to have 79 suited. I say call it. With a preflop raise and then calling the reraise, I think it's more likely that he has jacks or better and is betting a pocket over pair.

Please let me know. Call or Fold? Any insight is welcome.

fishfeet
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
My bet is on an overpair.

Call.

wbrumfiel
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I'd call it

ihardlyknowher
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Call. If he has 77 or 99, that's poker. If he has 79, put him on your buddy list and you will get your money back soon enough.

amoeba
01-25-2005, 02:38 PM
reraise more preflop.

Kaz The Original
01-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Reraise more preflop, and call. His raise preflop makes it less likely he has 77 or 33. If you had reraised more it would make it even less likely.

Klak
01-25-2005, 02:49 PM
definate call. even if he has a crap 2 pair, you have redraws. i think you are ahead here tho.

djoyce003
01-25-2005, 03:17 PM
He's betting a smaller overpair or is on a bluff that you have two big cards and he has a little baby pair that didn't make a set WAY more often than he has a set or two pair. I think he'd call your flop bet with a set and let you bet out again on the turn, at which point he'd put you all in because by then you really have to.

Wayfare
01-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Quote: "A MP raises to $3.50."

Him opening the action with a raise makes this an instant call. Expect to be shown KK or QQ.

Anyone who responded with "he may have crap two pair" is not thinking very hard about the situation.

Preflop, do not min-raise him.

BigF
01-25-2005, 03:30 PM
You have to call this. If he has 33/77/99 more power to him. But still you would have no regrets calling his set with your AA knowing that he paid you 7 bucks to see a flop.

Most likely he had KK/QQ and didn't know how to play it.

BullChip
01-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I call.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I say call it. With a preflop raise and then calling the reraise, I think it's more likely that he has jacks or better and is betting a pocket over pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this thinking. I think you can include 99 and TT in his range of hands, if hes aggro preflop. But even still, given the entire range of hands you are up against, youll be ahead most of the time.

PokerCat69
01-25-2005, 05:19 PM
You can't fear someone holding trips behind every bet.
If you call and he opens up 77 so be it.

JackedUp
01-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone - you all made it pretty clear. Calling was the correct play. Can anyone come up with a good reason, other than being a wimp, to fold that? The only way I could justify that is if you're in a tournament you want to tighten up because someone else is about to go out and you'll move up in the money when he does. Even then it's a questionable move.

"You can't fear someone holding trips behind every bet."

That was precisely my thinking when I called. I was expecting to see kings but he turned up JJ. I realized when he went all in, that I probably didn't bet enough to rule out 99. But, it's such a low percentage to flop trips that in the long run, playing that is a winner.

I'd love to gloat and tell my friend that he's way off on this, but since I play at the tables with him quite a bit, I'll just be content to take his money. Why improve his game, right?

zaxx19
01-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Id put him squarely on JJ or QQ...and perhaps a little tilty at the moment. I still think you need to reraise here a little more bc you are making it correct for him to call with 22-1010 here purely for set value.

pho75
01-26-2005, 09:52 AM
A very aggressive player did the same thing to me yesterday. He turned over AQ. This was a micro-game though.

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I think this is a very good post, Here is my thoughts....

He couldnt have 77 or 99 becuase most people like to slow play those (sometimes ill see people not bet anything), or trap you. Usually when someone goes all in on the flop they've got that mid-high pocket pair, trying to take it all narrowing the field of drawers.

Id call.

Another thing is, you say it was .25/.50? I doubt people raise 14BB PF with 99, 77.

One thing im thinking is that maybe you could have even taken him all-in preflop, which you want, and which lets you know hes got mid-high pair (wouldnt really matter cuz you wouldnt see the flop yet). If this is the case and the flop was lets say K Q 5, It would be a tough call, he could really have you. Hope that helped, if it made any sense at all.

Later.

zaxx19
01-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Oh ya I like Moving in preflop alot of times with AA....but really only if there is another caller or two before me. ]

Why??

Bc now the pot is large. I move in preflop. What hand would you put me on if you held JJ QQ or KK??

AK AK AK AK AK AK AK AK

In fact it might be a good play with AK if you read the table as being weak.

I moved in with AA about 2 days ago in a situation described above-

like 6 dollars in the pot I hade like 27 in front of me on UB(10-25 cent game) fold fold call.

He shows 10-10. He must have been damn sure I had A-K or A-Q or A-J wouldnt you agree???

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 11:01 AM
First part of your post:: Ofcourse you need callers behind you or some maniac going all in before you with AA. There is no question about going all in with it.

AA gets beat to often to let other players continue to see cards, get in as soon as possible.

Second part: Yes i would agree with you. He could have also thought u had better, but was wishing for a set, he's probably also not a very good player. You did great.

Going all in on TT is stupid, there is always someone else with better pair, and if not...id sure as hell go all in with A K than TT, well maybe.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-26-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing is, you say it was .25/.50? I doubt people raise 14BB PF with 99, 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many low-stakes NL players that do play middle pairs for big raises (7BB here, not 14). They play all NL situations like late-stage NL tournament hands (where any pair is often a raising hand).

Here's an example -- On Party Poker last night in a 50NL game: I get QQ in MP with a big stack ($80+) and raise to $4. The player to my left raises to $8. He only has $14 left after his bet, so I put him all in pre-flop. I figured I was dead when an Ace, a King show up on the board -- he was playing 66.

TheWorstPlayer
01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
He's not playing like a tournament, he's playing like a donkey. Even in a tournament, I don't believe it is a good play to min-re-raise with 66 there.

Raiser
01-26-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to gloat and tell my friend that he's way off on this, but since I play at the tables with him quite a bit, I'll just be content to take his money. Why improve his game, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you guys are tight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-26-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's not playing like a tournament, he's playing like a donkey. Even in a tournament, I don't believe it is a good play to min-re-raise with 66 there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right. He was an idiot... I was glad to take his money. In a tournament, any other choice would be better -- push, call or fold.

There was a disconnect between my first paragraph and my second -- sorry. But on the original point -- I still see that a lot of low-stakes NL players play middle pocket pairs for a significant raise -- particularly with limpers in front of them. They don't look for the set value -- they try to win the hand based on the value of the pair itself.

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 11:52 AM
I know....well this is where the reads come in.

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Call, but really make the pre-flop reraise bigger.

Think about it, if you raise pre-flop with 99 and someone min-reraises you it:

1) Defines their hand as a big overpair.

2) Gives you odds to call and hit a set. It's $3 to call an $11 pot and possibly stack someone.