PDA

View Full Version : Best learning tools - Books or Software?

Huxley
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
I have read (and often re-read) many of the books that are recommended the most on this forum. In recent years, with AI software and PCs becoming more powerful, I have purchased the best poker training software tools available.

Seems to me that when you read a book, you have to absorb and remember the info so you can apply what you've learnt at a later date. With software, you learn while you are playing, and the stats relating to the current hand are right there to help you learn.

For me, software seems better because it forces me to learn (if I don't want to lose to some bot!), but I wonder how others feel about this.

Rudbaeck
01-25-2005, 02:42 PM
The problem is that the software plays such crappy hold'em.

I find the best learning tool ever to be this forum. Read, post and discuss hands in the relevant forum.

cowboyzfan
01-25-2005, 03:02 PM
The only software I have is Wilson's. I found that the software is really only good to practice what I read. The software doesn't really teach you how to play other than if you memorize it's suggestions. It can tell you to play AJo in MP for one bet, but it doesn't tell you why.

Also, as Rudbaek said, the software advice is often wrong.