PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore and Farenheit 9/11 shutout in Oscar nominations

Dynasty
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
There is a thread in OOT discussing Oscar nominations overall. But, I thought it was worthwhile to post in here about Farenheit 9/11 being completely shutout in Oscar nominations.

I'm a bit surprised. I thought he'd get nominated for something and maybe win. It's certainly been a bad couple of months for Mr. Moore.

Passion of the Christ didn't get any big nominations. But, it got three lesser nominations in cinematography, makeup, and original score.

El Barto
01-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Seriously, what categories do you think it should have been nominated for?

I can't think of any. Unless Hollywood wanted to "make a statement" this film didn't deserve any recognition for being any more than mediocre.

The categories that "Passion" was nominated for make sense to anyone who actually watched the film.

elwoodblues
01-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Moore withdrew Fahrenheit 9/11 from contention from the documentary category in hopes that it might air on TV prior to the election (Oscar rules disallow it to be broadcast and still be in contention for that particular award.) The only other category possible would be Best Picture. So, it got shut out of the only category that would make any sense whatsoever (and, in my opinion, it isn't Best Picture quality by any stretch of the imagination.)

Broken Glass Can
01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moore withdrew Fahrenheit 9/11 from contention from the documentary category in hopes that it might air on TV prior to the election

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like it had a real chance, had he not withdrawn it. It wasn't good enough to even get close to being nominated, save for the political correctness that runs rampant in Hollywood Awards nominations.

elwoodblues
01-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I bet you would have said the same thing about Bowling for Columbine a few years ago.

Broken Glass Can
01-25-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you would have said the same thing about Bowling for Columbine a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I've seen both films more than once, and they are not high quality.

The Washington Post got a Pulitzer for a Janet Cooke series years ago that was largely made up, to their credit they returned the award. Michael Moore did not do this with the Oscar when it was discovered that his film was riddled with made up "facts". Hollywood is not about to disgrace itself again by nominating him, even those leftists know better than to do that.

whiskeytown
01-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I suspect it would have gotten a few had it actually made a difference, but in the end, monkey boy's victory makes it fairly irrelevant -

RB

DenverPokerClub
01-25-2005, 03:02 PM
God Bless W!
lol

sirio11
01-25-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You make it sound like it had a real chance, had he not withdrawn it. It wasn't good enough to even get close to being nominated, save for the political correctness that runs rampant in Hollywood Awards nominations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you dont know what you're talking about. Here is the opinion of some people that know about the subject.

Prizes by association:

DOCUMENTARY

Fahrenheit 9/11 (NYOFC, SFFC, NYFCC, WAFCA, PFC, CFC, SEFCA, FFC, KCFCC,
LVFCS, DFWFCA, OFCS, BFCA) 12

Born Into Brothels (NBR, LAFCA) 2

Control Room (BSFC, SFC) 2

Tarnation (SDFC, NSFC) 2

Broadway: The Golden Age (NYOFC) 1

The Fog of War (TFCA) 1

Touching the Void (SFC) 1

American Cinema Editors (ACE)
American Film Institute (AFI)
American Society of Cinematographers (ASC)
Art Directors Guild (ADG)
Boston Society of Film Critics (BSFC)
British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA)
Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA)
Central Ohio Film Critics (COFC)
Chicago Film Critics (CFC)
Cinema Audio Society (CAS)
Costume Designers Guild (CDG)
Directors Guild of America (DGA)
Dallas-Fort Worth Critics Association (DFWFCA)
Florida Film Critics (FFC)
Golden Globe Awards (GG)
Golden Satellites Awards (GS)
Hollywood Makeup & Hairstylists Guild (HMHG)
Independent Spirit Awards (ISA)
International Animated Film Society (IAFS)
Iowa Film Critics (IFC)
Kansas City Film Critics Circle (KCFCC)
Las Vegas Film Critics Society (LVFCS)
London Film Critics Circle (LFCC)
Los Angeles Film Critics Association (LAFCA)
National Board of Review (NBR)
National Society of Film Critics (NSFC)
New York Film Critics Circle (NYFCC)
New York Online Film Critics (NYOFC)
Online Film Critics Society (OFCS)
Online Film and Television Association (OFTA)
Phoenix Film Critics (PFC)
Producers Guild of America (PGA)
San Diego Film Critics (SDFC)
San Francisco Film Critics (SFFC)
Screen Actors Guild (SAG)
Seattle Film Critics (SFC)
Sound Editors Guild (SEG)
Southeastern Film Critics Association (SEFCA)
Texas Film Critics (TFC)
Toronto Film Critics Association (TFCA)
USC Scripter Awards (USC)
Vancouver Film Critics (VFC)
Washington DC Area Film Critics Association (WAFCA)
Writers Guild of America (WGA)

sirio11
01-25-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only other category possible would be Best Picture. So, it got shut out of the only category that would make any sense whatsoever (and, in my opinion, it isn't Best Picture quality by any stretch of the imagination.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your opinion differs greatly from almost all the movie critics. Even they dont think it was the best picture of the year, hardly anyone could say it isn't best picture quality; despite the fact it was a DOCUMENTARY!!

David

elwoodblues
01-25-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hardly anyone could say it isn't best picture quality

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you heard of any major critics who said it should have been nominated for best picture? I haven't.

sirio11
01-25-2005, 11:49 PM
You can check http://www.oscarguy.com/77th/04HopefulsN.html

But maybe the difference is our definition of best picture quality. Mine is a picture that is included in the critics list as a possible candidate (maybe in their best 10). But your sentence "by any stretch of imagination" I still think is way off.