PDA

View Full Version : AJo in 2/4 limit hold em game

dmoneymiller
01-25-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm on the button holding A /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif and it comes to me 2 small bets to call, I call. 7 people in the pot at this point.
Flop comes J /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG bets, middle player makes it two bets, I make it 3 bets, he calls, i think 3 people in the pot at this point.
Turn comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG checks, middle guy bets, I make it 2 bets, UTG folds, he makes it 3 bets, and then I make it 4 bets because I have a set of J's and also a nut flush draw with the 3 spades on the board and my Ace of spades.
River comes a 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
middle player bets, I raise, he re-raises and I cap it at 4 bets.
He shows KK and wins the pot with a full house KKK/JJ.
This was an $85, biggest i've been in yet at 2/4, and I was certain I had it with my nut flush. I do see what I did wrong though. Because of his pre-flop raise... and his raising once the king hit, should have maybe told me something. It still woulda been right for me to call, with my set of jacks and nut flush draw. I put him on a flush, and figured I could maybe hit a spade or the board would pair or an ace would flop for a full house. Anyways, What could have been a $38 loss on this hand could have only been a $30 or less. Also I think when the board pairs I need to be more careful and look at the situation before jumping into it. Any other ideas???

Harv72b
01-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Well...it's arguable with that many people in the pot, but AJo is generally not a good hand to call 2 cold with preflop. You have the button which makes it better, but still...especially against a large field like that, big offsuit cards do not often make very strong hands.

Your analysis was just a bit off, but it's a lot easier to see things in hindsight. Unless MP was an extremely loose/aggressive player, it was highly unlikely that he had a flush on the turn; he raised preflop, you're holding the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, and the K/images/graemlins/spade.gif and J/images/graemlins/spade.gif are on the board...leaving the only remaining suited broadway hand he could have as Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif...not a raising hand. He might have check/raised you with AK (no spades), but he would probably not have capped the turn with that hand. KK, or possibly KJs, are the only hands it would make sense for him to play this way. That's not to say that a lot of 2/4 players won't keep on capping with AA or with QQ (& the Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif), but...even with the nut flush, if this situation comes up again you're probably better off just calling the river bet. Certainly calling the 3-bet if you do raise. Regardless, once you saw the flop, this was destined to be one of those times when you make a very expensive second-best hand.

In the future, you might want to try leaving the results off of your hand posts...you'll generally get more (and less biased) replies that way. Welcome to the forum. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cockandbull
01-25-2005, 05:29 AM
I d'm not sure about the preflop call. i may be a little tight be thats just me. With regards to your preflop play..

flops fine
turn fine
river just call the three bet

[ QUOTE ]
Also I think when the board pairs I need to be more careful and look at the situation before jumping into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand what you mean, but for me in this hand your only behind three hands KJ, KK and 66. KK is a possible because of the preflop raise, i wouldn't be worried about the flush on the turn due to A,K,J being accounted for.

try to use the converter (i dont have a link, sorry)

best,

harry

btspider
01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
fold PF. also tell us who raised PF next time.. i assume it was the MP villian.

you really need to put your opponent on a hand. he sees the 2 J's and is telling you on the turn he has at least that. the 4th flush card really didn't change anything. it was unlikely your opponent had a flush on the turn since the AKJ of flushes are accounted for.

after the capped turn, either just call his bet, or throw in one more raise if he's overaggro sometimes. the cap seems pointless to me.