PDA

View Full Version : To the computer geeks

pokerjo22
01-25-2005, 03:26 AM
So I haven't got my internet set up yet after moving house, and I'm 'borrowing' my neighbor's unsecured wireless signal to play poker. So how bad is that from a security point of view?

o0mr_bill0o
01-25-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I haven't got my internet set up yet after moving house, and I'm 'borrowing' my neighbor's unsecured wireless signal to play poker. So how bad is that from a security point of view?

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad at all. communications with party are going to be encrypted. and i guarantee you that if your neighbor's home wireless connection is poorly secured enough for you to just be able to hijack it from your house, that person is not well versed enough on computer security and networking to do any damage to you whatsoever. of course, you might have some 'splaining to do when they realize you're mooching off of them /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Slim Pickens
01-25-2005, 03:38 AM
I don't know anything about computer security aside from setting up my own wireless, but do you think your neighbors, who aren't sophisticated enough to protect their connection in the least, are somehow going to figure out how to steal you PP password? I'd say this is less dangerous than having your own unsecured network anyway.

Slim

pokerjo22
01-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Thanks guys - that's what I figured too. I just wondered if they're logs or anything might pick my password up, but I guess not if its encrypted. My excuse will be that I misconfigured my own network, should they work out I'm mooching /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slim Pickens
01-25-2005, 03:53 AM
They would probably have a better chance of getting your password by physically looking through your window while you logged on than by any other means. BTW I use my neighbor's unsecured connection for my tivo since I can't figure out how to connect to my secured one. They haven't noticed, nor will they ever.

Slim

rt1
01-25-2005, 04:01 AM
ever hear of a honey pot? i am not saying this is one... in fact, id say its not one 99.9999% of the time. but we use to do this all the time with wireless networks. read up on honey pots before you call someone with an open wireless connection a moron /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

o0mr_bill0o
01-25-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ever hear of a honey pot? i am not saying this is one... in fact, id say its not one 99.9999% of the time. but we use to do this all the time with wireless networks. read up on honey pots before you call someone with an open wireless connection a moron /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

well... yes yes yes, but i'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that this isn't a honey pot, and that even if it is, the guy's not going to be getting her party password.

lacky
01-25-2005, 05:27 AM
lol, it's amazing what a some cuteness and an innocent nature will let you get away with in this world. Hell, if you just went over and smiled real big they would probably let you use it anyway.

Steve

BradleyT
01-25-2005, 10:49 AM
They aren't looking for passwords when they peep through her windows late at night.

lossage
01-25-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about computer security aside from setting up my own wireless, but do you think your neighbors, who aren't sophisticated enough to protect their connection in the least, are somehow going to figure out how to steal you PP password?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite well versed in computer security, and I run an open (calling it "unsecured" would be misleading) wireless network deliberately. It's just a giveaway for people who happen to be in the area. It doesn't hurt me at all, unless somebody starts sucking bandwidth, in which case the scripts on my router box will happily ban your ass within a few seconds.

As others have said, even someone who snoops on the wireless connection would have a very hard mathematical problem on their hands to grab your password out of the SSL connection. They would have better luck just trying to brute-force weak passwords.

aeakos
01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
What firewall/router combo do you run?

turnipmonster
01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
slim, how do you connect your tivo wirelessly?

Slim Pickens
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry for the hijack btw. You have to buy a wireless adapter for it. I think it's a scam to have to buy extra hardware to not have to dial up, but it's a small price to pay for skipping commercials. You're supposed to be able to input a network key, but I can't get it to work.

Slim