PDA

View Full Version : Poker or booze?

girgy44
01-25-2005, 02:05 AM
So I go to Northwestern Univ. and I have a bit of a dilemma. I am a pre-med student so my classes are pretty hard, but don't get me wrong I have plenty of freedom. I live in what is one of the biggest fraternity party houses on campus so people are drinking every night of the week. On a random monday or tuesday night if I don't have a test coming up any time soon I am faced with the dilemma of poker or booze(of course on thursday-saturday the decision is obvious). What do people here think the answer should be. I play 3 tables of 10/20 short so playing is definitely quite profitable, but alcohol is clearly more fun. I guess I could also throw out the possibility of weed which I like, and I can play poker very, very well no matter how high I am, but I would rather be drunk. Anyone have any thoughts about getting fuucked up or making money? Or anything else on the subject of college and drugs/alcohol?

nothumb
01-25-2005, 02:09 AM
The, "Look at my cool dilemma, a hot girl wants to snog me" virus has spread into other areas of life, I see.

NT

eric5148
01-25-2005, 02:17 AM
College is for losers, getting fukked up is for losers. Play poker.

girgy44
01-25-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm not trying to brag and make internet friends who think I am really cool here just wondering what people think.

Ogre
01-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Girgy I don't think that you are of legal age!

nothumb
01-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Who cares what these people think? I wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers about that kind of stuff.

That's daryn's department...

NT

girgy44
[ QUOTE ]
College is for losers, getting fukked up is for losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, but incorrect.

Thythe
Funny...I go to Northwestern also. I try to switch it up between poker and booze...sometimes both...

girgy44
[ QUOTE ]
Girgy I don't think that you are of legal age!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither.

girgy44
01-25-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny...I go to Northwestern also. I try to switch it up between poker and booze...sometimes both...

[/ QUOTE ]

What year are you? But yeah both is definitely fun just not as profitable.

Sincere
01-25-2005, 02:25 AM
You're young, definately go for the booze and drugs and women, dont waste your college years playing online poker, you'll thank me when your 30.

Sincere
01-25-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But yeah both is definitely fun just not as profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting pissy drunk and baked/stoned out of your mind and [censored] some hottie in the ass, is way more profitable than playing internet poker.

Dont let these fools fool you.

NLSoldier
01-25-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

College is for losers, getting fukked up is for losers. Play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said, except, the opposite, oh and poker is cool too.

Thythe
01-25-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What year are you? But yeah both is definitely fun just not as profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a senior in IE/Econ.

MEbenhoe
01-25-2005, 02:40 AM
umm, I'm pretty sure the majority (if not all) of the successful college players on here have a good mix of both. You seriously can fit in plenty of time for poker and still have time to get drunk. I don't see the dilemma.

tdarko
01-25-2005, 02:43 AM
well said, i was curious why nobody mentioned the "all of the above" scenario?? go to class in the morn, kill the afternoon and early evening at the tables and go out and live the college life at night.

girgy44
01-25-2005, 02:52 AM
See the problem there is that at Northwestern being in pre-med way too much studying/work is involved. That is where all afternoon goes. Plus it sounds like you may have not gone out like you say. Bar til 2 or 3AM means not getting to bed until at least 4 so class in the morning doesn't work too well. Right now I have 9:00 class every day(Organic chem.) and I definitely skip it every thursday/friday. I would rather not make a habit out of this.

MEbenhoe
01-25-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See the problem there is that at Northwestern being in pre-med way too much studying/work is involved. That is where all afternoon goes. Plus it sounds like you may have not gone out like you say. Bar til 2 or 3AM means not getting to bed until at least 4 so class in the morning doesn't work too well. Right now I have 9:00 class every day(Organic chem.) and I definitely skip it every thursday/friday. I would rather not make a habit out of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to drink every night. That's what weekends are for. But even if you wanted to drink every night its still quite possible. Just learn to run on less sleep or go home a little earlier.

Its called time management. Get used to it, you're gonna need to know how to do it the rest of your life.

girgy44
01-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Alright I like it.

MEbenhoe
01-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Just to add, a good way to do it might be to make a schedule of when you have class, when you're going to study, when you're going to play poker, when you're going to go out, etc. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of everything you're doing and you'll usually find you have a little more free time than you actually realized.

tdarko
01-25-2005, 03:00 AM
i feel your pain man, i was a pre-med student/athlete (baseball) in college (in the Big12) and i found time...though organic is a pain there is 24hrs in a day.
if you really cant find the time i suggest suggest school and a social life cause for you it is definately time to take advantage!

eric5148
01-25-2005, 03:03 AM
BTW, my dad works in the medical library at NU.

My mom also works at a college, hence my anti-collegeness.

girgy44
01-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Ok makes sense.

Thanks for the advice Mebenhoe and Tdarko. I think that the schedule thing would be a good thing to try. Well paper tonight but you better believe that starting thu. night I "may" be drinking a "little bit".

MorganLarsen
01-25-2005, 03:11 AM
You should never let drinking get in the way of anything, or women, they come and go.

Seether
01-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Im a college student that essentialy plays poker for all my expenses and I still manage to get [censored] up every thurs fri and saturday........it really isnt that hard....

girgy44
01-25-2005, 04:19 AM
yeah but I liked getting fuucked up more. Thu-sat. is a given.

daryn
01-25-2005, 05:21 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Who cares what these people think? I wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers about that kind of stuff.

That's daryn's department...

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man i need the advice /images/graemlins/frown.gif