PDA

View Full Version : Satelite vs Cable television

DBowling
01-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Opinions please. If this has already been asked before, please link. Movie channels arent that important to me, but they are to my gf, so id like to get at least one of the movie packages, like HBO. Im more concerned about sports, and would love to get NBA league pass next season

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 01:55 AM
I have had Directv for 7-8 years now and would never go back to cable. The only thing that does suck is if it rains real hard the signal can drop. I put a plastic cover on my dish and now it rarely goes out when it rains. Having sat is cheaper than cable and you get many more stations and the Season Passes are the best but getting all the sports packages and having many tv's the cost start to get expensive. I pay about $130/month for Directv but if you get just HBO package i believe it's around $45 per month with that and all the other cable and local channels. They are now giving me Tivo service for free.

vulturesrow
01-25-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Opinions please. If this has already been asked before, please link. Movie channels arent that important to me, but they are to my gf, so id like to get at least one of the movie packages, like HBO. Im more concerned about sports, and would love to get NBA league pass next season

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had both and I much prefer satellite. And its not even close. More basic channels, sports packages, various satellite feeds.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 07:35 AM
anyone else? or satelite the only way to go?

lapoker17
01-25-2005, 07:37 AM
I've had both, and think that if you can get that kick ass digital cable with on demand etc, that is best. The only shortcoming is not getting the NFL package, but I think their contract with DTV is up soon anyway. I vote for good digital cable over satellite.

bosoxfan
01-25-2005, 09:10 AM
I had direct tv for 2 years and and the only advantage I found over cable was the NFL Sunday ticket. During big storms I would always lose reception. I have cable now but I kept the dish and only use it for the football package.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:16 AM
When I made this decision I compared the prices of two packages:

Satellite TV
DSL
Local Phone Service
Long Distance Phone Service

vs.

Cable TV
Cable Internet
Long & Long Distance IP Package

You should also consider the consistency of service from the phone, cable & satellite in your area. Do storms knock them out?

Dynasty
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had both, and think that if you can get that kick ass digital cable with on demand etc, that is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got digitial cable (several hundred channels) including HBO On Demand, Cinemax On Demand, and Starz On Demand (the best). With the On Demand channels, you basically get about 150-200 movies which can be ordered free of charge any time you want.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
I got DirecTv because it was the only place I could get NFL Sunday Ticket. I got it with TiVo and I don't know how I watched tv before. It was also somewhat cheaper than cable.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got DirecTv because it was the only place I could get NFL Sunday Ticket. I got it with TiVo and I don't know how I watched tv before. It was also somewhat cheaper than cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also noticed it is cheaper than cable. On demand looks OK, unless you pay for the premium services, then it looks great. But i just dont watch movies enough. It looks like Satelite is ahead right now.
Cheaper and NFL league pass are the the reason. Anyone else care to chime in?

Sponger15SB
01-25-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but they are to my gf

[/ QUOTE ]

me and your internet girlfriend cybered last night.

sorry man, she just came at my with a barrage of smileys and I couldn't resist.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

me and your internet girlfriend cybered last night.

sorry man, she just came at my with a barrage of smileys and I couldn't resist.

[/ QUOTE ]

its okay, we have an open relationship like that. down for a threesome?

wonderwes
01-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Directv is #1 in customer satisfaction. I am a 2 year member.

It is by far the best service. You can pay as little as $40 a month for basic service. Plus if you move, they will take care of moving the dish from the old place to new. And the dual tuner Tivo is slick. You get longer recording time on a DirecTv tivo that cable tivo due to there is no compression feature on the DirecTV. Making a tivo sat recording much better in picture than a cable tivo recording.

You can easily put the dish on your roof, or I know a lot of people that just leave theres at ground level on a tripod. You are really only going to lose signal if its one hell of a storm outside. Even then, mine hardly goes out. You just need the best spot to give it a shot to the south sky.

Another bonus, if you have an HDTV, you will get far more HD channels than your local cable provider.

Also if you sign up for directv, you can usually get a package deal, where you can get 4 recievers (one can be a tivo) plus installation for free. You get it with the 1 year contract. They run a good promo like this all the time.

jstnrgrs
01-25-2005, 09:23 PM
I have dish network with the americas top 60 package, the local sports package, and Dish DVR. I pay $41 per month and I didn't buy any equipment, and instalation was free. I am very happy with the service. I ocasionally loose the signal during a storm, but it is usually only for a few seconds. I get almost every station that I would ever watch (I might watch FX ocasionaly if I had it). Overall I think those small negatives are easily offset by the cheaper price. (Charter would charge me $59 for their equivilant packeage and I wouldn't have DVR.) I am very happy with DIsh network, and DVR rocks.

Shajen
01-25-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I love DirecTV with Tivo. It's beautiful.

Utah
01-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I just bought a kick ass 61" Samsung DLP HDTV that is being delivered this week (my life is now complete). I have digital cable now which I love, esp. with the on demand. However, I hear that DirectTV is better for HDTV.

Is that true?

wonderwes
01-25-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I love DirecTV with Tivo. It's beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you throw a 120 gig secondary drive on there, you'll have an endless library of programing. Its fun to mod TiVos.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hear that DirectTV is better for HDTV.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what i read when I bought my 55incher is that cable on a big screen is typically grainy and Directv's digital signal is much better but I always had directv so I cannot compare. When it comes to a true HDTV signal I am not sure it matters, my neighbor has the HDTV antenna for local channels on a big screen and it looks great.