PDA

View Full Version : Taking big pairs too far?

pokerOpus
01-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB

The main reason I posted these hands is Im having serious trouble laying down big pairs. Do good players lay an overpair down in either of these two situations? Is it usually just a judgement call? My hand is good in one of them, but Id like to know if either hand anybody would consider folding. I have no notes on either villian, and both seemed to be average from the limited time I was at the table.

Entity
01-25-2005, 01:29 AM
#1 is bad.

I'd: 3-bet preflop. If capped, proceed carefully. Raising the flop wouldn't be bad either.

#2 I'd raise the flop, and cap if 3-bet, then call down if led into again.

molawn2mo
01-25-2005, 01:33 AM
hand 1 plays entirely differently if you 3 bet preflop (as you should have).

hand 2 is icky. you have the 3rd best starting hand. make them pay to draw. raise the flop.

Harv72b
01-25-2005, 01:35 AM
In the first hand, you need to 3-bet preflop. UTG will be raising AK-AJs far more often than AA-QQ (unless you have a very specific read on that particular player, in which case you need to fold). As the 2nd player in, you want to get heads up to reduce the risk of overcards (or flopped flushes). Without a fourth heart &amp; with nobody raising the flop, I would throw in a raise on the turn...you still have an overpair and usually have the best hand at this point.

I don't see anything wrong with your line in hand 2. You either have the best pockets or you don't, and 3-way after a capped preflop, I'm not going to start a raising war unless I hit my set.