PDA

View Full Version : Ali/Holmes

BullChip
01-24-2005, 11:59 PM
ESPN Classic is showing the Ali/Holmes fight from 1980 and boy is Ali getting hit.

What a warrior.

Bill Murphy
01-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Jesus, why are they showing that slaughter? I don't think Ali even THREW a punch the last four or five rounds, let alone landed one.

Now, the Ali of '66-7 v the Holmes of '78-9 would've been a fight... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, the Ali of '66-7 v the Holmes of '78-9 would've been a fight... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I always hated Ali, but he would've slaughtered Holmes. Damn he was good.

Toro
01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN Classic is showing the Ali/Holmes fight from 1980 and boy is Ali getting hit.

What a warrior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in 1980, the only way to see a big fight was to either be in the arena or go to a venue where they were showing it on closed circuit TV. My best friends brother was a Worcester cop and he used to pull duty for a lot of these fights and sneak us in.

The cops sneaking in their friends got so bad that at this place they hired security to watch the cops so we had a hard time getting in but one of the other cops distracted the security guy while Eddie got us in.

Point of this boring recollection is that everyone at the fight is booing because it was such a rip off and me and my buddy are laughing our assses off bc we got in free. But what a bad fight. Can't belive they had it on ESPN classics.

tek
01-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I've heard rumors that his having Parkinsons is just a ruse to keep people from talking to him in public. He never seemed to get hit in the head that much.

Any thoughts?

nicky g
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
You don't have to be hit in the head to get Parkinsons.

He got hit in the head an awful lot compared to your average person.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He got hit in the head an awful lot compared to your average person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Christ, Norton broke his jaw! Have you seen that fight. That one punch probably sloshed his brain around in there pretty good.