PDA

View Full Version : Spider infestation

DBowling
01-24-2005, 11:55 PM
OK so i just moved into a new apartment and this place has tons of spiders. Not TONS but more than my last place(which had none). Now im normally pretty calm about this sort of thing, but i swear one was just crawling on my hand as i was palying poker. I cant tell for sure because i do not have a light in here yet, but i am pretty sure. Thats just not cool. How do i get rid of them?

BullChip
01-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Call the ghostbusters.

GHOST BUSTERS!

01-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Believe it or not, there is a serious answer to this. We had a lot of spiders in our house. The exterminator told us the spiders are here because of other bugs. Get rid of the other bugs (which the spiders eat) and you'll get rid of the spiders. Worked for us.

Unless, of course, you've moved into Arachnophobia. In which case, you're screwed.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 01:14 AM
ok how do i get rid of the other bugs??

EliteNinja
01-25-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some more spiders.

CORed
01-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Get a cat.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a cat.

[/ QUOTE ]
no pets allowed

DBowling
01-25-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some more spiders.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh

PhatTBoll
01-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Spiders are hard as s[/i]hit to get rid of. The only foolproof way to kill them all is to drink like 5 cups of coffee and/or smoke some crack and go on a mad, rampaging spider holocaust.

Slacker13
01-25-2005, 01:46 AM
I would move. Soon after I arrived to Florida I rented a studio apartment and as soon as the sun went down I started noticing a lot of Palmetto Bugs (huge roaches), well i went to take a shower and the water & pipes must have disturbed a nest because litteraly 100's of these bugs came crawling and flying out of the silver cap around where the pipe goes into the wall, it was straight out of a King novel. I packed my [censored] and stayed in a hotel until they had exterminators come. It was horrifying.

nothumb
01-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Why would you be cool about this? Call your new landlord and tell him the ad said 'apartment,' not 'spider breeding ground.'

NT

nolanfan34
01-25-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would move. Soon after I arrived to Florida I rented a studio apartment and as soon as the sun went down I started noticing a lot of Palmetto Bugs (huge roaches), well i went to take a shower and the water & pipes must have disturbed a nest because litteraly 100's of these bugs came crawling and flying out of the silver cap around where the pipe goes into the wall, it was straight out of a King novel. I packed my [censored] and stayed in a hotel until they had exterminators come. It was horrifying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm about to go to bed, that's the worst story ever. Good lord.

vulturesrow
01-25-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK so i just moved into a new apartment and this place has tons of spiders. Not TONS but more than my last place(which had none). Now im normally pretty calm about this sort of thing, but i swear one was just crawling on my hand as i was palying poker. I cant tell for sure because i do not have a light in here yet, but i am pretty sure. Thats just not cool. How do i get rid of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call John Goodman.

busguy
01-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Not sure what part of the country you are in but here in the Northwest, chestnuts seem to do the trick pretty well. It's kind of an old wives tale but it does work. If you place a chestnut in each room of your home (on a window sill or behind a piece of furniture) you should notice a dramatic (or total) decrease in spiders. It has something to do with the smell of the nut. Oh and you should be able to find (whole) chestnuts (like they sell on the street at Christmas time) at any qrocery store.

Wouldn't be surprised if I get flamed for this, but try it and report back.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif busguy

DBowling
01-25-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you be cool about this? Call your new landlord and tell him the ad said 'apartment,' not 'spider breeding ground.'

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like there was this daddy long leg in my bathroom when i arrived. Underneath his web was a pile of dead ants. I was going to name him but he ran away everytime i turned the shower on and he hasnt been back in a few days.
I like spiders that kill bugs, just not spiders that crawl on me.

I have a 12 month lease, moving is not much of an option

rusty JEDI
01-25-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get some more spiders.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was hilarious.

rJ

rusty JEDI
01-25-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what part of the country you are in but here in the Northwest, chestnuts seem to do the trick pretty well. It's kind of an old wives tale but it does work. If you place a chestnut in each room of your home (on a window sill or behind a piece of furniture) you should notice a dramatic (or total) decrease in spiders. It has something to do with the smell of the nut. Oh and you should be able to find (whole) chestnuts (like they sell on the street at Christmas time) at any qrocery store.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put one of these in a corner where spiders always set up shop in the place im at for school this year. The spider then built his web around it and even using it as an anchor for part of his web.

rJ

nothumb
01-25-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm not saying move. I'm saying it's common courtesy when you rent a place at any rate that isn't hourly for the landlord to see to it that you are the sole inhabitant when you move in. Call him, tell him it's his problem.

NT

busguy
01-25-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Put one of these in a corner where spiders always set up shop in the place im at for school this year. The spider then built his web around it and even using it as an anchor for part of his web.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is funny !!

Is that UBC or SFU ??. Cause everything works upside down and backwards at SFU !!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif busguy

Brian
01-25-2005, 03:20 AM
These things currently infest the house that I live in:

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/misc/images/cavcrick.jpg
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/crickets/camel.jpg

Just thought I'd share. They are called "camel-back crickets", and they can jump a few feet high. I hate living in the boondocks. Just looking at these pictures is making me shiver.

-Brian

ethan
01-25-2005, 04:30 AM
I used to live in a place that had problems with black widows, because they'd come in to eat the roaches. We just used a lot of the aerosol bug-bombs, those killed the roaches, and the spiders became much less of a problem. If you're only having intermittent problems, a can of WD40 and a lighter will take care of individual spiders nicely. (Note: don't burn your house down. Not my fault if you do.)

I swear I'm not making any of this up. Getting bitten by a black widow sucks, btw.

2planka
01-25-2005, 09:39 AM
I read through the replies. The best advice is to contact the landlords and have them deal with it pronto. If they don't, move out.

Spiders can be cannibals, so eliminating other bugs won't necessarily do the trick.

Bug bombs are a temporary solution.

The place needs a pro. Just beware that as the extermination proceeds, the spiders and other bugs will move away from the source of the exterminant (meaning, if they start next door to you the bugs will move in to your place).

Lastly, for a fun read, check out Pest Control (a novel) by Bill Fitzhugh. Funny stuff. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380788683/qid=1106660354/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-4561038-1047131

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Get a pump sprayer and some poison (make sure it's specifically for spiders) from Home Depot. It's not expensive. Spray it around the baseboards. It'll keep em away for like 3+ months. Do it a few times and eventually they'll be gone for good.