PDA

View Full Version : Solicitors... WTF?

SomethingClever
01-24-2005, 11:17 PM
So you're multitabling and some assclown knocks on the front door of your house or apartment.

Now, you don't know that they're an assclown until you answer the door; it could be a friend or relative. So you go and check and, sure enough, it's the assclown.

This happened to me tonight in the middle of three very tricky hands that I had to pay attention to. It was a guy wanting me to sign a petition, and he just launched into his spiel, making it hard for me to interrupt. I barely made it back before timing out with TPTK, a set and a flush draw.

How do you people deal with this?

Edit: That was confusing. I didn't time out, but I almost did.

Inthacup
01-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Slam the door mid-spiel and hope it hits him in the nose.

Dr. Strangelove
01-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Are you sure he was an assclown and not a buttpuppet?

emonrad87
01-24-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slam the door mid-spiel and hope it hits him in the nose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also like to swear at them a little.

razor
01-24-2005, 11:39 PM
The second you realize it's an assclown, slam the door (glaring and swearing is optional).

You have no obligation to be nice.

CORed
01-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Telemarketers are a pain in the rear, too. One of the disadvantages of DSL comared to dialup is that they can get through. As soon as I realize it's a telemarketer ( or survey or whatever), I just lay the phone down, off the hook, and let them make their spiel to nobody. This wastes more of their time than just hanging up. In a couple of minute, I hang up.

youtalkfunny
01-25-2005, 07:00 AM
You've never heard of the national "Don't Call Me" list?

I'm telling you, the calls just STOP.

dr. klopek
01-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Please do not swear at those people. They're enjoying it way less than you apparently think.

Bluffoon
01-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Being rude to solicitors is mandatory.

You must do everything possible to discourage this practice.

dr. klopek
01-25-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you won't discourage it, it's profitable. Second, I have solicited. I have bothered people at their doors while they had company, I have called people cold during dinner. There was not one second in which I did any of this, that I did not feel like a wretched, vile human being, doing my small part to make the world a worse place to live in. I never got upset when I got a door shut in my face, at least I didn't have to do my spiel and waste a bunch of somebody's time. I never cared that I got hung up on, or that people would simply say, "no thanks," and end it before it started. I am a disturbance, people eliminate disturbances. But for a person to feel that they are somehow entitled to treat me with disrespect and go out of their way to treat me as though I were sub-human, pisses me the f[/i]uck off. Being rude breeds disrespect.

Stu Pidasso
01-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Two step process

Step 1. Say, "sorry not interested". Say it over their speil if necessary.
Step 2. Close the door.

Stu

ddollevoet
01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
One step process:

Don't answer the door.

razor
01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Being rude breeds disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]

and being rude is EXACTLY what solicitors are when they show up at my door or call on the phone...

If they want respect from me they can start by showing me some respect.

dr. klopek
01-25-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being rude breeds disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]

and being rude is EXACTLY what solicitors are when they show up at my door or call on the phone...

If they want respect from me they can start by showing me some respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look dude, if you read my post you'd know that I don't agree with bothering people. Sometimes, you just need a job. I've never met anyone who was happy to work in a call center. I can tell you that on nights when someone was really rude to me, adding to the tilt of performing the job in the first place, it made me much less concerned with how polite I was, and how much I bothered people. I like door-to-door salesmen way more than I like being cussed-out at work.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Tell them to give you just a second and you'll be right back. Then close the door on them. Just leave them there and don't come back.

dr. klopek
01-25-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell them to give you just a second and you'll be right back. Then close the door on them. Just leave them there and don't come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll take a smoke break on your porch. Sometimes have a beer, but I usually just drank before work.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-25-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you won't discourage it, it's profitable. Second, I have solicited. I have bothered people at their doors while they had company, I have called people cold during dinner. There was not one second in which I did any of this, that I did not feel like a wretched, vile human being, doing my small part to make the world a worse place to live in. I never got upset when I got a door shut in my face, at least I didn't have to do my spiel and waste a bunch of somebody's time. I never cared that I got hung up on, or that people would simply say, "no thanks," and end it before it started. I am a disturbance, people eliminate disturbances. But for a person to feel that they are somehow entitled to treat me with disrespect and go out of their way to treat me as though I were sub-human, pisses me the f[/i]uck off. Being rude breeds disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. People have to [censored] eat.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But for a person to feel that they are somehow entitled to treat me with disrespect and go out of their way to treat me as though I were sub-human, pisses me the f[/i]uck off. Being rude breeds disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally consider it rude for someone I don't know to come knocking on my door bothering me with this crap. So my feeling is that they are being rude and don't deserve any respect. Respect is something that has to be earned and bothering me in the middle of my dinner to try to sell me a water softener is no way to earn it.

RayGarlington
01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
You could buy a small 'no soliciting' sign. If a solicitor mistakenly calls, you could quickly point and close the door. Don't need to say a word or waste much time.

on_thg
01-25-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One step process:

Don't answer the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't answer the phone. Problem solved.

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One step process: Don't answer the door.

[/ QUOTE ]
And don't answer the phone. Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my usual solution. Although, it annoys me that I have to get up to see who it is to know it's a solicitor.

BruceZ
01-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Surveilance cameras are quite inexpensive now. You can even have the image sent to your PC.

Bluffoon
01-25-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of everyone's responsibility to society is to make sure that this practice is NOT profitable. It is because of people that succumb to these ambush techniques that the practice persists.

You don't like being treated rude, stop being rude. Find a profession that does not intrude on people's privacy.

2planka
01-25-2005, 11:50 AM
FWIW, I had the Mormons ringing my bell before Christmas. I was playing three tables and was several coffees into a 9 hour session, unshaven, wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up. I'm also a larger than average guy and have a deep voice.

I rush over to the door.

Elder No. 1 says, "I know this time of year a lot of us are thinking about Jesus...." I just interrupted him and said, "Well, I don't. Good day." They haven't been back since.

ThaSaltCracka
01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But for a person to feel that they are somehow entitled to treat me with disrespect and go out of their way to treat me as though I were sub-human, pisses me the f[/i]uck off. Being rude breeds disrespect.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally consider it rude for someone I don't know to come knocking on my door bothering me with this crap. So my feeling is that they are being rude and don't deserve any respect. Respect is something that has to be earned and bothering me in the middle of my dinner to try to sell me a water softener is no way to earn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rude really isn't the right word, I think solicitors are just annoying, but not rude.

SomethingClever
01-25-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could buy a small 'no soliciting' sign. If a solicitor mistakenly calls, you could quickly point and close the door. Don't need to say a word or waste much time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife won't allow that on the outside of the house.

Alobar
01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] excellent post

SomethingClever
01-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I agree with you. I think 95% of these people probably hate their jobs and hate interrupting other people, but just do it because that was the only job they could find at the time. I certainly know what it's like to have a hard time finding a job, having been unemployed for 6 mos. recently.

I think the other 5% are just dicks.

Either way, I'm polite to all of them, but I'm just looking for a good technique to get them out of my face in a hurry without being too rude.

I think it'd take too long to explain that I have like 20 big bets at stake in the other room!

razor
01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm just looking for a good technique to get them out of my face in a hurry without being too rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... being polite to someone who isn't giving you the opporunity to say you aren't interested?!? what's the point in that?

SomethingClever
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm just looking for a good technique to get them out of my face in a hurry without being too rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm... being polite to someone who isn't giving you the opporunity to say you aren't interested?!? what's the point in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally just feel bad if I'm rude to people.

Unless they do something stupid while driving. Then it's on.