PDA

View Full Version : Full boat on the river.. player all-in

fishfeet
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
6 handed live NL $.10/$.20.
In the CO with A-7 clubs.
Button calls, as do SB and BB checks.

Flop: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Button and SB are extremely loose players who will bet anything or nothing all the time (one even called blind the entire way, flipped over his cards and had a straight)

Both check and I bet knowing at least one will call or even raise. Button raises, SB folds. I call.

Turn is a 10/images/graemlins/club.gif
Check. check.

River: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Player bets about $1.50 into a pot of about $5 (he had done this all night and had flipped over nothing all night, or at best middle or 3rd pair. very rarely anything of any quality)
I feel my full is good, I raised $5. He went all-in. At this point I only had about $5 more left of my stack, so I called, of course.

My question is, after he checked on the turn, should I have taken that as a sign he might have filled up? And then just called his river bet rather than riasing?

Seeing him play all night (he is new to our table) I was just disgusted at the play I saw. I mean, I liked all the money in the pot, but it just seemed he would hit something the few times he got all his money in.
Example: I had KQs on button. I raised, he called with 9-10o. Flop is 9-Q-x. He bets, I raised (a little more than the pot if I recall) He called. Turn a 10. He checks, I went allin. He thinks for a long time and called. I needed a J Q K or whatever the X was on the river and didnt hit.

So seeing all this crap I felt the river raise with my Aces full was good.

Blah - Im not really sure what Im trying to get out of this post, just venting I guess.
The only thing I might have been able to do on the river was just call that tiny bet.

tbach24
01-24-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think I'm laying down this hand without a good read on the button. I don't think he'd limp in with AT on the button. I would've gone to the felt with this hand too. Do not be results oriented.

fishfeet
01-24-2005, 11:22 PM
well from my read during the few hours of play, I realized that he didnt do too much rasing preflop, so him limping on the button with A-10 was very likely.
The few times he did raise preflop and showed down he had far less of a hand than A-10.
I felt my reads were good, he just happened to his a bigger full than I.
Doesnt feel good that the only person this guy would be was me (but the A-10 vs A-7 I was beat the whole way, so I wasnt too upset. The KQ vs 9-10o didnt make me feel so great)he busted out twice during the night, only to have me double him up on both hands mentioned.

tbach24
01-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey, it happens to the best of us. Just go out there and play solid poker and you will win. If you need help just post any of your hands (like you did) here.

fishfeet
01-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, Im confident next time I sit down with this guy, and his friends (who play the same way) that I will come out a winner.
Even though this is very small stakes poker for poor college kids, I usually come away $10+ up.
Tonight was a $19 loss... a lot for me. Thats like a weeks worth of food, ect..!!

The only thing I really wanted some help on was if I should have played it a bit more passively and just called the river bet. That was my only real concern the entire night.

Here is another hand that you can critique.

Im UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG raises. I reraise. UTG is a Simi-loose player, but much more solid than the maniacs described earlier.
Flop comes rags with 2 hearts. He bets small, about 1/4 pot, and I called quick (this play has worked on him several times in past. I called quick, he would check and I could either take a free card or bet and he folds.)
Turn comes another heart. He checked and I decided to check.
River comes a 4th heart. At this point I had him on a mid pocket pair.. 99-JJ. He bet small on the river. Pot is about $3.50 or so. He bets $1.25 I beleive. I figured he had that pocket pair with a heart. But not nearly strong enough a heart to call a big reraise with 4 to a flush on the board.
I reraised $4. He thought for a long time and said "I guess I have to pay you off"
In my head "NO NO NO, you dont HAVE to pay me off!"
Well, he flips over JJ with the J of hearts.

Do you think this play would work vs a better player who is able to get away from pocket pairs (not many do at our table) with 4 to a flush on the board and a not so great flush card in their hand?

TheWorstPlayer
01-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Shorthanded, in the CO with A7s, raise please. In the AK hand, bet the turn. It will look like a made flush or a (probably bigger) overpair.