PDA

View Full Version : poor call at party step 5?

DangerGoodson
01-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Party Step 5- is this an awful call by me?

BB has been pushing alot lately, but has been pretty tight before it got to three handed.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t2135)
Button (t4365)
Hero (t3500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t2135 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1135.

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 10:04 PM
After your raise you were pot committed. You were getting 2.75:1 odds to call. You really cannot be so sure that he has you dominated in order to justify a fold. In fact, even if you were 95% sure that he had AK, you should still call. AK vs. A3 is a 2.77:1 favorite and you're getting 2.75:1 odds. Let me guess, he turned over an ace with a higher kicker? That's poker. With the blinds so high and only three players remaining, the villain will go all-in with a wide range of hands. You must call.

DangerGoodson
01-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Is there ever a time when you ignore pot odds in favor of a strong player read?

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I would argue that this late in a tourney it is almost impossible to get a really strong read. How much information do you really have besides a hunch? Your opponent waited 3 seconds instead of 10 to reraise? To think that you can get a very accurate read on an online player in this situation is akin to superstition. You just must accept the fact that your information is limited.

But more importantly, in the aforementioned hand you would still have to call even if you knew with 95% certainty that your opponent had you dominated. Thats the nature of late tournament strategy.

Benholio
01-24-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there ever a time when you ignore pot odds in favor of a strong player read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, having a strong player read just makes it easier to use pot odds correctly. The more sure you are of the range of hands your opponent holds, the easier it is to determine whether or not you have the correct pot odds to call.

adanthar
01-24-2005, 11:44 PM
If you knew he had AK a fold is correct. Pot odds don't mean as much as having a stealing stack, especially in a Step 5.

Having said that, I'd almost certainly be all in PF.