PDA

View Full Version : steal hand... call based on pot odds?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Party $11

495 more chips to win 1095. A loss leaves me very hurt but not unplayable. SB thought for a good 12 seconds before min-reraising so I didn't expect a monster.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t1740)
Hero (t1240)
Button (t850)
SB (t795)
BB (t2335)
UTG (t1040)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t500</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1100</font>, SB calls t295 (All-In).

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm sometimes wary of minraises, but at this level it probably does not necessarily indicate strength. I think your pot committed and should call. Even if he has AK, you have the odds to call. Your only in trouble if he has a higher PP or higher Q.

patrick dicaprio
01-24-2005, 09:43 PM
why reraise here?? if you think he has nothing then its Ok but do you really think he has a hand significantly worse than yours?? you had to know he was going to call your all in.

Pat

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why reraise here?? if you think he has nothing then its Ok but do you really think he has a hand significantly worse than yours?? you had to know he was going to call your all in.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]
of course he knew that he was gonna call. in the end it makes no difference if he smooth calls or reraises the villain all-in. All the chips are eventually going in regardless.

adanthar
01-24-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the end it makes no difference if he smooth calls or reraises the villain all-in. All the chips are eventually going in regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flop comes A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , all the chips are certainly not going in regardless.

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 11:49 PM
I don't care what the flop is, you cannot fold a $1295 pot to a $295 bet.

ChrisV
01-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Running you on Pokerstove versus AA-66, AK-AJ, which is a reasonably tight range for SB, gives you 35% equity. You've only gotta call 31% of the total pot so it's narrowly a call.

ChrisV
01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
On that flop, assuming the range AA-66, AK-AJ for SB, calling costs you on average 160 chips.

There are other possible flops where SB may not put his chips in (e.g. A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif if he has 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif) but on balance you are better off not putting the rest in preflop. Most of the time it won't matter.

lorinda
01-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't care what the flop is, you cannot fold a $1295 pot to a $295 bet.

I can't , you can't.

Party $11

He might.

Even though the ROI gained from not reraising preflop is probably under 1%, it's certainly not losing you anything by seeing the flop and either pushing all in or calling all in regardless.

It's like the people who won't reraise all in on an AKQJT non-flush board.
It doesn't hurt to have a freeroll, ever.

Lori

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-25-2005, 12:53 AM
A looser PokerStove range for SB (assuming he'd just reraise all-in with AA-JJ, AK, AQ) of

TT-22, AJs-ATs, AJo

puts me at 57.7% equity.

The true range of min-reraising hands here is probably somewhere in between this but I think it's a call.

I like Lorinda's idea of a stop-n-go for even the smallest amount of folding equity.

lorinda
01-25-2005, 01:01 AM
I think it may actually be a fold, but haven't spent much time on it.
Just keep an eye on that general principle.

Lori

lorinda
01-25-2005, 01:03 AM
You need to now go one step further.

If you fold, you have 940 chips 100% of the time.

To get a more accurate estimate, you need to plug in the other possibilities and then work out an estimated EV from each scenario.

This is what makes SNG play so much more interesting than ring play.

Lori