PDA

View Full Version : J9s on the button

roy_miami
01-24-2005, 08:37 PM
10 handed 15/30

UTG limps, he's horrible could have any 2, MP1 limps (LAG, not a maniac though), a few more limpers, I limp on the button with J9s, BB checks

Flop: J88 rainbow

UTG checks, MP1 bets, folded to me. I know MP1 well, he most likely has a J or an 8, he could also lead here with any pocket pair, overs or a str8 draw. if he has a J or an 8 he will 3-bet my raise. I decide to just call as I'm most likely drawing. BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn brings another 8

UTG checks, MP1 bets, I call (wanting an overcall from UTG figuring MP1 and I are tied), UTG calls

River is an Ace

check, check, check.

Is this a total disaster?

FWIW I will say MP1 has me on some sort of tilt as it seems he has my number. I can't seem to beat him. 90% of the times we dual my hand is better preflop or on the flop (or he has some unlikely hand like a flopped str8 or something) but 90% of the times he's the one dragging the pot (usually the big ones anyway). This may have played a small part in the way I played the hand.

TStoneMBD
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
if MP wont 3bet you on the flop with a draw, then raise the flop and fold to the 3bet. the river is really really close. if you dont have reads on UTG and what he may be calling with then i think checking the river is ok. if you have good control over him then i think you have a value bet. if someone is in there with ace high they are probably going to bet the river in fear that it will be checked through, unless MP is savvy enough to check his ace to you expecting you to bet, trapping you and UTG for extra bets.

Ian J
01-24-2005, 08:59 PM
You definitely want to raise this turn. For the reason that happened, you actually wouldn't mind UTG just going away on the turn.

roy_miami
01-25-2005, 12:26 AM
He wouldn't 3 bet a draw, but I think he would 3 bet anything from J2s through quad 8's. I'm sure MP1 doesn't have an 8 or an Ace on the river check. He plays everything very fast.

roy_miami
01-25-2005, 12:29 AM
My thinking on going for the over call was UTG would pay off on the turn and river with A high as well as any pocket pair. I'm not sure if he was bad enough to call 2 cold with a hand like 22 on this turn.