PDA

View Full Version : Very Very Deep Stacks to Start....

nickey009
01-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm going to be playing in a 40 person tourney that has a blind structure that starts at 25-50. In one hour it goes to 50-100. Then an hour later it's 75-150. And an hour after that it'll be 100-200. Our chip stacks are going to start at 15,000. yes, that's right 15,000. The stacks seem like they are going to be very very deep to begin with and I don't see them getting any better really. So, that being said. How should I play this thing?

Ian J
01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Get some sleep, cause unless you suck, you'll probably be playing for about 4 days.

nickey009
01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
no, s***. I don't know why the blind structure is like this and I hope that they realize how much the structure needs to be modified but in case they don't and I want this tourney to be over before 4 days....should I be playing aggresive or passive and waiting to trap? It's almost like a cash game now where the blinds hardly matter.

jinx911
01-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Playing in a tourney with a structure like this will test all of your no limit abilities. You can't devise a complete strategy on this because your going to need to adapt. Sometimes you should be playing very tight other times you should open up. Every factor of the game will come into play unless you bust out early. Position stack size table image reading the players reading the board the whole ball of wax. If your not very good and rely on luck you will not do well. On the other hand if you are good and rely on skill you should be licking your chops because the tourney structure is long enough to withstand the short term luck and you will make less mistakes over the long run. This is the ultimate tourney structure.

nickey009
01-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I am going to try and rely on my skill for sure. I don't know any other way to play the game honestly. I just wonder if a lot of the other players are going to take each other out with just asinine play. I of course can be around to take out some of these asinine players too. The skill level of a lot of these guys are not that great. At least that's what I think.

B Mando
01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I think it might take two days.

DonButtons
01-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Sweet structure, it will be a very long tournament though.

Rushmore
01-24-2005, 09:44 PM
You said that there are 40 players and there were plenty of donks and "asinine players."

I hope this is a big buyin tourney, because this is a dream if the field sucks. Your EV goes through the freakin roof.

The worse the players, the more play you want, of course.

nickey009
01-24-2005, 09:55 PM
The Buy-in is 150 and the pay structure is a little strange too. It's gonna' be like 3000 for first and 600 for second. And payment all the way down to 8 or 10 spots. If they played with the same structure last year the game finished in about 12 hours. I just can't see it getting finished ever considering the blinds are being capped at 10k-20k. At that point there will be 600,000 chips at the table.

Rushmore
01-25-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Buy-in is 150 and the pay structure is a little strange too. It's gonna' be like 3000 for first and 600 for second. And payment all the way down to 8 or 10 spots. If they played with the same structure last year the game finished in about 12 hours. I just can't see it getting finished ever considering the blinds are being capped at 10k-20k. At that point there will be 600,000 chips at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, uh, so, then...

They're paying 25% of the field, and 80% of those spots are going to barely make their buy-in back?

Well, there's another advantage, at least.

If, as you say, the players are all donks, they'll have no idea what you're doing when you're playing for first and only first.

I mean, it's obvious this is the way to go, right?

P.S. If it's SO OBVIOUS, why would anyone structure a payout this way?

nickey009
01-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, it really is a gun for first kind of game. My friend and I are going partners in this thing. We're going to split it 50/50. He's a more skilled player than I am and I think we are going to be head and shoulders above the players at the game.