PDA

View Full Version : How many of you avoid swearing in everyday life?

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Buster Stacks?

daryn
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
eh, i don't swear much.

cnfuzzd
01-24-2005, 06:37 PM
what the f[/i]uck are you talking about?

peace

john nickle

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 06:38 PM
i love swearing, especially in front of old conservative people

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 06:39 PM
I swear a lot, like literally a lot.

eric5148
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't swear that much, except around my parents, I swear at them constantly.

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what the [censored] are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, why doesn't the censor get that?

pshreck
01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
I swear occasionally, but never in unappropriate situations. Nothing annoys me more than when I'm with people who are swearing in stupid places.

After a party night, me and my friends went to an IHOP to have some breakfast. Although they weren't shouting or anything, there casual swearing when there are families and elderly people around is just stupid. Point is, swearing is not that big a deal, but you have to realize the situations where it is really inappropriate... and 20-24 years really seem to have a tough time doing that.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
**Edited for appropriateness**

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It did for you. I guess you don't have uber-1337 status. It's a special privelege to be able to tell someone to [censored] themselves and not be censored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for clearing that up... I'm still confused.

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
i don't see the big deal about swearing in front of children. if they don't know what the word means, then it won't effect them. if they do know what the word means, then the harm has already been done. and so what if a kid learns the word f*ck? he's gonna learn it eventually anyway, and it's not like the word itself does anyone any harm. if people didn't make such a big deal about the word, it wouldn't be a curse

IggyWH
01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you have to realize the situations where it is really inappropriate... and 20-24 years really seem to have a tough time doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 23 and I don't have a tough time. I swear a lot when I'm with my boys, but I can turn it off like a switch at any given time. I had a 10 year old kid sitting next to me at the Steelers game yesterday and didn't swear when he was there. He kept frequently leaving though so I was able to get in my true feelings quite often.

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if they do know what the word means, then the harm has already been done.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

pshreck
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
Well, Im not saying everyone, but there are tons of young men that are really nice guys, not jerks or anything, but still swear quite often when they shouldnt be.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
The problem is when a kid halfway learns a word, uses it once, people laugh because it's freaking hilarious, and then the kid uses it all the time because of the reaction he got the first time. A friend of a friend has a young child who goes around using the f-bomb everywhere - "where's my f'ing cereal?" "what the f is that?" "who's that f'ing lady?" - EVERYWHERE. It's funny from here, but it's a real problem when it's your kid. His poor mom can't get him to stop saying it and seriously can't take him anywhere. He's at the age where he doesn't realize that it's so inappropriate and he just thinks it's funny and it gets him attention.

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of a friend has a young child who goes around using the f-bomb everywhere - "where's my f'ing cereal?" "what the f is that?" "who's that f'ing lady?" - EVERYWHERE.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't help laughing out loud while reading that

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't avoid it at all, in fact it would be common for me to say something like "ah fu[/b]ck, that f[/b]ucking sh[/b]it was fuc[/b]ked" and for my friends to know exactly what I was talking about.

When I'm around my mom we don't really swear unless pissed off, and when I'm around my friends parents it tends to slip out like once every other time I see them.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of a friend has a young child who goes around using the f-bomb everywhere - "where's my f'ing cereal?" "what the f is that?" "who's that f'ing lady?" - EVERYWHERE.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know - and this is exactly why it's so hard to stop - it's absolutely impossible to resist laughing out loud whenever this happens or whenever you even hear of it happening, which just encourages the kid even more. It's f'ing hilarious.

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of the seinfeld episode w/ the non fat yogurt...

Lady: Well, I hope you're satisfied.
Jerry What?
Lady: Every word out of my son's mouth now is *beep*, *beep*, *beep*. You know what he said to me five minutes ago? Where's my *beep*ing cupcake?
Jerry: Gee, I'm really sorry.

Jerry: Hi!
Lady: You know Jerry.
Son: Of course, he's the funny *beep*er.
Lady: See!

Shajen
01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't avoid it at all, in fact it would be common for me to say something like "ah fu[/b]ck, that f[/b]ucking sh[/b]it was fuc[/b]ked" and for my friends to know exactly what I was talking about.

When I'm around my mom we don't really swear unless pissed off, and when I'm around my friends parents it tends to slip out like once every other time I see them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too, but I take it to extremes just to be an ass.

For example:

[censored] the [censored] fuckers. They should [censored] know by now better than to [censored] [censored] with the [censored] Master...the fucks.

Of course, this just means I'm really lame.

(I don't swear around children, my wife's family, or old people I don't know...this is rather hard for me though, as Marine Corps bootcamp is one giant F-bomb after the other.)

Tron
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I usually don't swear in inappropriate places, but I have a question about this particular situation: One time at a football game, there were some parents sitting right in front of me. I was, of course, in the student section. I might have been able to contain my outbursts of how fukking awesome Reggie Bush is if I tried, but hey, they were on MY turf. What should I have done?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually don't swear in inappropriate places, but I have a question about this particular situation: One time at a football game, there were some parents sitting right in front of me. I was, of course, in the student section. I might have been able to contain my outbursts of how fukking awesome Reggie Bush is if I tried, but hey, they were on MY turf. What should I have done?

[/ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that you enter the student section at your own risk. Do what you may.

dr. klopek
01-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I swear constantly, in every situation, regardless of who is present.

Justin A
01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if they're offended by student swearing, they shouldn't have bought tickets in the student section.

stabn
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I [censored] agree.

B Dids
01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't swear much at work, but in other aspects of my life it's constant.

stabn
01-24-2005, 07:40 PM
I swear around 90% of the people i know. 10% either get offended, or i haven't worked with them enough to know how they feel about it. But if we know eachother fairly well and you haven't given me a dirty look when i've called someone a [censored], you are going to hear a lot of dity words whenever we talk.

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Justin how much do you swear?

Since you're sooooo busying studying for that midterm right now. ha ha

Justin A
01-24-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Justin how much do you swear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very rarely. When I do it's usually for humor. Also, when I do swear it has a stronger effect, since I don't swear very often.

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're sooooo busying studying for that midterm right now. ha ha

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I just don't want to talk on AIM right now, so the away message stays up.

Lazymeatball
01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
I avoid swearing, most of the time it just makes you look like an uneducated knob because you can't think of a better word. It doesn't bother me to listen to casual swearing, but it annoys me when people are inconsiderate enough to do in front of kids or old people. I think it's kind of odd that I take a crotchedy old man position on considering I'm 22.

ps. It doesn't bother me around friends or gatherings of young people, and used sparingly, swearing can make some sh[/b]it pretty funny, but most of the time it's overdone.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I avoid swearing, most of the time it just makes you look like an uneducated knob because you can't think of a better word. It doesn't bother me to listen to casual swearing, but it annoys me when people are inconsiderate enough to do in front of kids or old people. I think it's kind of odd that I take a crotchedy old man position on considering I'm 22.

ps. It doesn't bother me around friends or gatherings of young people, and used sparingly, swearing can make some sh[/b]it pretty funny, but most of the time it's overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]
I concur.

TimM
01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what the f[/i]uck are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do ya have to use so many cuss words?

cnfuzzd
01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do ya have to use so many cuss words?

[/ QUOTE ]

its about time....

peace

john nickle

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's kind of odd that I take a crotchedy old man position on considering I'm 22.

[/ QUOTE ] no f-in way you are 22, simply astounding, I really thought you were 30+.

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's kind of odd that I take a crotchedy old man position on considering I'm 22.

[/ QUOTE ] no f-in way you are 22, simply astounding, I really thought you were 30+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah same, I also thought the same thing about Homer.

Phat Mack
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I try to avoid it. I love to swear, but if done too often, swearing loses it purgative effect as well as its shock value. I enjoy original and imaginative swearing the most. My drill intructors at Parris Island were a constant source of inspiriation to me. Besides them, I've admired quite a few Irish bartenders. There is nothing more pathetic than banal swearing.

Lazymeatball
01-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Yeah, it's funny the sort of image of a person you make up when reading their posts. It's kind of like when you read a book, and then go see the movie and find out that the Dennis Nedry you imagined looked nothing like Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld.)

Voltron87
01-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I try to save up my swears for when they'll really have an impact, if everyone around you is used to hearing you say [censored] then when you really [censored] mean it the won't react.

nothumb
01-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Have it your way, Dude.

I swear a lot, it's a bad habit. I'm literate and speak well and can carry a conversation, but it's in those little outbursts that I just let 'em slip sometimes.

In my current job the staff is supposed to help the kids stop swearing, but a lot of them just swear at the kids twice as much. My biggest issue is that I don't really notice when they swear because it doesn't bother me, then I get yelled at for not correcting them.

NT

LondonBroil
01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Strangelove
01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering this too, try quoting him; he's being tricky.

Tosh
01-24-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint, use the f[/i]ucking quote button.

BeerMoney
01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Try not to around the wife. Sometimes can't help it after a few party poker hands.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-24-2005, 10:10 PM
[censored]....

heavybody
01-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I had a situation where swearing by my friend was inappropriate: Me and a friend were visiting my cousin and he had a married friend (Chuck and his wife) visiting at the same time, and during the conversation my friend was using the "f" word as per his usual conversational style when Chuck finally had to ask my friend in a respectful but forceful way "would you please use some other word besides "#uck" to get your point accross,because that is my wife over there". He was totally right in his request and no hard feelings resulted.

heavily bodied

CORed
01-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I try to reserve swearing and foul for those occasions that really merit it. You know, like stubbing your toe in the dark, hitting your thumb with a hammer, getting seriously cut off in traffic, getting your aces cracked by 95o that hits runner-runner 5's (online only: spoken, not typed into the chat window (usually)) to cite a few examples.

If you use the f-word as punctuation, it cheapens and devalues it.

LondonBroil
01-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Terrance: Shut your [censored] face uncle fucka
You're a cock sucking ass licking uncle fucka
You're an uncle fucka, yes its true
Nobody fucks uncles quite like you

Phillip: Shut your [censored] face uncle fucka
You're the one that [censored] your uncle, uncle fucka
You dont eat or sleep or mow the lawn,
You just [censored] your uncle all day long

(farting noises)
Terrance: Hmm!
(farting noises)
(laughing)
(farting noises)
Some Guy: What's going on here?
(farting noises)
People: OOOoooooooooooooh
Fucker fucker uncle fucka uncle fucka fucka fucka fucka
T & P: Shut your [censored] face uncle fucka (Terrance: uncle fucka)

Terrance: You're a boner biting bastard uncle fucka
Phillip: You're an uncle fucka I must say
Terrance: Well you [censored] your uncle yesterday
Everyone: (laughing)
People: Uncle fucka... thats
Everyone: U-N-C-L-E [censored] you Uncle
Fuckaaaaaa tonight...

Phillip: Suck my balls!

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 11:06 PM
[censored] off you donkey raping [censored] eater!

DBowling
01-25-2005, 12:15 AM
not only do i not avoid it, i actively seek out opportunities to swear.

BullChip
01-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I probably should.

I don't.

Thanks for reminding me.

Reef
01-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I wish I knew how to swear in French. F###ers.

thatpfunk
01-25-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I avoid swearing, most of the time it just makes you look like an uneducated knob because you can't think of a better word.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why anyone would think that swearing makes you seem uneducated. I question the intelligence of those who believe this. There are simply things that can't be expressed correctly without swearing.

Tyler Durden
01-25-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't see the big deal about swearing in front of children. if they don't know what the word means, then it won't effect them. if they do know what the word means, then the harm has already been done. and so what if a kid learns the word f*ck? he's gonna learn it eventually anyway, and it's not like the word itself does anyone any harm. if people didn't make such a big deal about the word, it wouldn't be a curse

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes you sound mildly retarded. The more that children hear adults cursing, the more children think it's okay to do so. I wonder how the hell you didn't get that on your own.

Brain
01-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Merde. Vous ne savez pas jurer en francais? Pauvre baiseur.

EliteNinja
01-25-2005, 01:09 AM
I'm 23 and I try my best to avoid swearing.
I could probably go a month without swearing.

I use words like:
'fudge', 'shizzle', 'shiznit', 'shazbot', 'crap', 'poo-ass' and 'smeg'