PDA

View Full Version : There's something wrong with my game.

mreinecker
01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I play quite often with a group of people at my house or one of theirs. The games are usually 5-8 man games with 5 dollar buy ins. Anyway, I keep a log of my winnings and losses. About up until a month ago, I've been pretty much even. I win some games, and I lost some. But, lately my game has turned around. I can't seem to win a game. I don't seem to catch ANY good hole cards worth playing with either. Our games are usually pretty loose. I've been playing more on the tight side lately, due to the fact that I'm not getting many good starting hands. However, even when I do catch some overcards, I'm usually beat on the flop or on the turn. I don't know what to do with how I play. Should I have a certian strategy ? Please help me out.

rusellmj
01-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I believe this phenomenon is called "varience".

Russ

SamIAm
01-25-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe this phenomenon is called "varience".

[/ QUOTE ]No, no. I'm pretty sure your friends are cheating you!! What else could cause you to go from a winning player to a losing player?

I say you accuse them at the next game. Or, better yet, just start cheating yourself. After all, what are friends for?
-Sam

Richard Tanner
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh don't mind Sam, he's probably just pissed (like alot of people) from the "Mechanic" thread. Seriously though, the earlier poster is right, it's just variance. You can't win 'em all, just ride it out, if you're really a good player it will turn around.

Cody

SamIAm
01-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Richard's right. Don't mind me.

The game is super high variance. One of the best reasons to play online (with pokertracker) is that you can see a line-graph of your winnings, and look back on all your massive downswings, and how they level-out as you get into the long(er)-term. It's perspective in a digital world.

The big problem is that DURING one of those swings, you can't tell if you've changed your game, or if you're just getting bad cards. The most important thing is to make sure you don't change your game BECAUSE you get bad cards.
-Sam