PDA

View Full Version : what next?

djr
01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Ok, fairly new to the PL/NL scene and wanted to here your thought here. I'm a poster or I wouldn't called preflop. Obviously, no reads.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($25)
MP2 ($23.75)
CO ($18.25)
Button ($11)
SB ($0.65)
BB ($29.75)
UTG ($110)
UTG+1 ($13.4)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, Hero (poster) checks, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.75) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, BB calls $0.50.

Turn: ($3.25) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, UTG calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...???

I'm certain the right move is to raise here (should I have on the flop?) but 1) by how much? 2) am I hoping for callers?

Wayfare
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Don't post in MP. Raise the pot on the flop. Definately raise the pot on the turn.

amoeba
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
why no raise on the flop?

djr
01-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I figured I'm way ahead on the flop and the pot seemed on the small side so I wanted to wait for the turn to come out shooting. Since you're advocating raising the flop...how much is a good raise?

kurto
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm folding that hand preflop. That being said... if you're in. Why are you underbetting that flop? You have 2 pair, but your bottom pair is still vulnerable to a better 2 pair and/or trips. Bet 2/3- the pot on the flop.

The BB's bet is curious. 3 possibilities come to mind. (1) your weak bet has convinced him you're on a draw or worried about the strength of your hand (2) he just made 2 pair (or was slowplaying AK) or he just made trips (3) if this was my luck, he had 3/5 in the BB and just hit his straight.

I think this is a tough call. A stronger flop bet may have cleared this up. But if someone bet like you did and I had A-J... I'd probably think I have you beat and bet to take it.

djr
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a tough call. A stronger flop bet may have cleared this up. But if someone bet like you did and I had A-J... I'd probably think I have you beat and bet to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was aiming for. When I raised the turn (raised it to $8) both people folded.

Now say I had top two pair, should I still have raised the flop?

AncientPC
01-24-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was aiming for. When I raised the turn (raised it to $8) both people folded.

Now say I had top two pair, should I still have raised the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Too many people try slowplaying too many hands. If this is on Party fast playing always works on the NL25 / NL50 tables. On other sites it may vary a bit more.

TheWorstPlayer
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm folding that hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
He posted.
[ QUOTE ]
That being said... if you're in. Why are you underbetting that flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't bet, he called.
[ QUOTE ]
You have 2 pair, but your bottom pair is still vulnerable to a better 2 pair and/or trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the only part of your post which is correct.
[ QUOTE ]
Bet 2/3- the pot on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Change bet to raise and this part is correct, too.

TrailofTears
01-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Re-read the original post more clearly. Very little of your post even makes sense given the OP's comments and the actual hand.

As for my take, raise the flop. Your hand is strong, but vulnerable. Make the other players pay if they want to try to make their better two pair. Good raise on the turn, given your flop call.

- ToT

amoeba
01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
if there is no flush draw and it was headsup, I could see a smoothcall but in this situation I would raise the pot.

Kaz The Original
01-24-2005, 07:43 PM
You are 90% ahead on this flop, although limping with AK is decidely common these days. None the less a king kills your hand on the turn, and a king or a 4 kills your hand on the river. Mind you a 4 now splits the pot between your opponent and his presumably weak ace, but a king loses the pot for you. For this reason alone you have to raise the flop / turn. Not to mention your opponent WILL call you with a weak ace.

How do you win a big pot by checking and calling? Be aggressive. It feels good.