PDA

View Full Version : Did I stiff the movers?

pokerjo22
01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Quick question - I moved this weekend, and used a professional company for the first time. The guys who moved me did a pretty decent job, but after I paid them I had a bad feeling I should have tipped them. Does anyone know whether you're supposed to tip movers?

daryn
01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
another reason why tipping should be abolished.

Freakin
01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Generally you should tip them. $10-20 per mover is pretty standard, IIRC.

Freakin

mmbt0ne
No. They probably stole stuff out of your boxes anyway.

Shajen
I've been known to throw a $20 per mover their way.

Depends on how far, how much, etc. But I do.

I'm also a fish on Pstars though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oski
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
20 bucks each and a cold drink.

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
My brother worked several years as a mover. You do not have to tip, but its nice if you do. Generally if you don't want to tip them buy them something to drink or maybe order a pizza for them, literally thats all they need. A tip is def not required.

Paluka
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I tipped my last movers like $50 each I think. There were only 3 of them, the price they quoted me was great, and they did a super job. I've heard so many mover horror stories that I felt pretty good about the tipping.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Nope. Not gonna do it. Not gonna. Resist. Resist. Don't say it.

sfer
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tipped my last movers like $50 each I think. There were only 3 of them, the price they quoted me was great, and they did a super job. I've heard so many mover horror stories that I felt pretty good about the tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto every time I've used movers. The last two times they've packed everything as well, which is just a sweet arrangement.

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, your fans are disappointed.

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]
another reason why tipping should be abolished.

[/ QUOTE ] well lets be honest Daryn, of all the people in the world who earn tips, movers are one of the few that truely earn them. They spend all day unloading a truck carrying around beds, couches, boxes, pianos, and various other furniture. Being a mover is not an easy job.

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] my brother has gotten a $100 tip before.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, your fans are disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh hell! The question is, "Did they stiff you?"!!!!!

(And I would tip $10 per...)

daryn
definitely a difficult job, but i don't think tipping should be based on difficulty of the job. just pay them more. tipping is stupid!

Dynasty
My father would like to tell you what he thinks of Robert Parish (former Celtics center) who didn't tip.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely a difficult job, but i don't think tipping should be based on difficulty of the job. just pay them more. tipping is stupid!

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't that the same thing? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] well, if they do a good job, maybe a tip is in order. I am not from the camp where I tip just cuz though, ya know?

whatever, basically if you don't want to tip them, go buy they a few 32oz Gatorades, they'll be happy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pokerjo22
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Damn, I feel bad now. Oh well, I'll chalk it up on my huge list of tipping mistakes. Thanks guys!

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I feel bad now. Oh well, I'll chalk it up on my huge list of tipping mistakes. Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]don't worry about it, tipping the movers is not neccesarily the norm.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We're all in the same boat. I forced myself to buy that damn Emily Pest (I mean Post) book awhile back just for occasions such as this. And apologies for the comment. I just couldn't help myself. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

VBM
I believe the standard protocol is to tip movers, but if you feel strongly enough about it, you can recommend their service to other people who need to move or maybe send something to their offices, like a gift basket or something. I'm sure they'd be grateful for the gesture.

in a completely unrelated matter, is it just me or does pokerjo look a bit like Mary Beth (http://www.mtv.com/onair/roadrules/season12/cast_members.jhtml?id=marybeth) of Road Rules 12 fame?

--oj.

pokerjo22
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
That's the stupid thing though. If they'd asked for a hundred bucks more, I'd have paid it. The only reason I didn't tip is cos I didn't realise I was supposed to.

bosoxfan
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My father would like to tell you what he thinks of Robert Parish (former Celtics center) who didn't tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he got busted for pot his fine was $30 and he asked the judge for 2 weeks or something like that to pay it. I thought it was pretty funny at the time but maybe he is just cheap.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
send something to their offices, like a gift basket or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a bunch of movers would prefer something like a case of beer.

ThaSaltCracka
01-24-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the stupid thing though. If they'd asked for a hundred bucks more, I'd have paid it. The only reason I didn't tip is cos I didn't realise I was supposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]well its not really required. If you feel so inclined or bad about not tipping, mail a tip in to the company, or do something like that.

Shajen
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
send something to their offices, like a gift basket or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure a bunch of movers would prefer something like a case of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

werd

pokerjo22
01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
That is a sad book to admit to owning - still, I've added it to my Amazon wishlist /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CCx
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
last time i moved, i tipped the movers $30 between the two of them, and hooked them up with beers since it was the middle of july - they did a fantastic job, and protected all of my valuable things the exact way i asked them to, so in my mind they earned it. the delivery guys who practically tore my new furniture in half trying to get it through the doorway however, did not receive a cent.

Ulysses
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
I tipped my last movers 'cuz they were nice guys, the price was decent, and the main guy worked really, really hard.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have tipped them, 'cuz one of the three people in the crew worked really hard, but was really small and weak, which ended up making things take a long time. And they were late. And I later realized that they broke my futon frame when they dropped it.

Basically, I tipped cuz they tried really hard and had a good attitude. But pretty much their performance sucked and I shouldn't have tipped.

So, I think your not tipping and my tipping cancel each other out in the karmic balance of mover-tipping.

B00T
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM
You should of at least let them see you come out of the shower.

peace

john nickle

wait that isnt me...

astroglide
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM
my last movers were fantastic, i gave each of the 3 a 20 on a fairly small load.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 05:19 PM
So why didn't you ask any of us to help you move, jo?

wacki
01-24-2005, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it either. I worked for a moving company 4 for summers in a row. The best thing to do is give them light food (deli sandwiches) and gatorade. Pizza is great while moving but is a bit heavy and can slow you down. The sandwiches and gatorade (or lemonade) does wonders while moving. Many people I've moved for don't even know that your supposed to tip. The movers understand that. (just like TSC said) Other times I've had $100 tips which is very nice. When the movers are tipped (money or food) they are much more careful with your furniture. Moving is hard work, but I doubt your apartment was much trouble for those guys. That is unless you were on the 5th floor and there was no elevator and the stairs were only 2 feet wide. I [censored] hate those places.

I worked for Atlantic Relocation Systems the official movers of the Colts. Yippee!!! We could easily work 70+ hours a week and a crew of 4 could move 20,000 lbs of furniture on a good day. The base pay for the "humpers" like me was only $8 an hour. Keeping up that pace is hard and not very many people have the stamina. Treat them well, be kind, and make sure they have water!!!!

wacki
01-24-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I shouldn't have tipped them, 'cuz one of the three people in the crew worked really hard, but was really small and weak, which ended up making things take a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one of the guys works really hard and the others were lazy, take that guy to the side and time him seperately. Mr. Indiana, the weighlifter, worked for my company and lasted a week. He was great for few hours and then he was worthless. In moving, it's all about stamina. The skinny guys are normally the best ones.

[ QUOTE ]
And they were late.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may not of been their fault. Rounding up trucks, unloading trucks, headquarter screwups and many other problems happen all of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
And I later realized that they broke my futon frame when they dropped it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. Those guys, if they were like what I went through, probably work 70 hours a week of hard labor during the peak of the moving season. That's not easy. The moving company has insurance and will fix/replace that stuff for free.

pokerjo22
01-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks LD, although I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket.

If I mistakenly tip for bad service in the future, I'll let you know and you can stiff someone in good conscience /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scotnt73
01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
i live in apt and i always use movers and find the lowest hourly rate ones. i always take the leader to the side towards the end and tell him that ill give him and his partner 20 bucks a piece if they charge me for 1 less hour or 10 a piece if they charge it correctly. they always knock off the hour.

nothumb
01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I was a mover for a while, it's damn hard work if you're worth a crap. I worked for an independent guy, we did a lot of packing, lots of antiques, long moves, etc. Of all the jobs I've done and earned tips in, I think I earned those the most. A $20 tip for a full day is about standard. Show a lot of appreciation and you can get away with less.

The smartest thing you can do with a mover is be very friendly, make them feel welcome and give them plenty to drink. They'll work faster and do a better job.

I got tips in the 60-100 dollar range for hard jobs or two day jobs. If you never got those it wouldn't be worth it. If you're gonna tip small or average, give it to them in a card or envelope with their name on it. Funny how this affects you but a few of our repeat customers did this and it feels nice.

Not too late to send them a card w/ a gift certificate or something.

NT

heavybody
01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
My stepfather was a professional mover and he got a few tips but not as many as he should have because it's not a common practice like tipping waiters or bellhops ,or whatever. Biggest tip he ever got was 100.00 . So in answer to your question :
probably..

heavily bodied

heavybody
01-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Very true TSC, I have moved furniture and it can be very trying at times. Hard work.

holly
01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
20 bucks each and a cold drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with 10 and a drink for a long move, but I'm cheap.

Randy_Refeld
01-24-2005, 09:50 PM
I moved a profesional companay and tipped them. The next time Imoved it was the same guys and they overcharged me (they billed me for the time they were driving around lost), so no tip the second time.

RR

youtalkfunny
01-25-2005, 06:58 AM
I'm on my 11th address since 1993. I've always gone U-Haul.

But I've got one more move left in me (we're buying our first house, it's being built now), and I'm hiring movers this time.

How much is this going to cost me? I'm just going across town. I'm in a 3br 2ba apartment right now. Me, wife, three little kids. Not as much junk amassed as most people (lost it all in fire two years ago, so we've only picked up two years worth of junk).

What do you think? $300? $500?

The_Individual
01-25-2005, 07:01 AM

GuyOnTilt
01-25-2005, 07:05 AM
If your move is less than 39 miles, it'll be charged by the man-hour. Call some local agencies and ask about their rates for locals. It'll be somewhere in the area of $40/man hour probably. And as with most thing, you will get what you pay for. A lot of the "low ball" companies are pieces of trash that don't give a [censored] and won't be fun to work with should you have to file a claim.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
01-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Movers seriously work their asses off. I did it for a couple summers and it's some seriously hard work and those guys are way underpaid. Your body gets absolute beat to crap in that job. Rarely does anybody make it in that industry for more than 5 years before they just physically can't handle it anymore. So yeah, tipping is definitely nice and appreciated. It's not a must, but at least offer them beverages. Lunch is nice too. Tip them at least $20 each if they do a good job. For local moves you get charged by the man hour, so if you can tell they're working hard, or if they get you under your estimate you should for sure tip them. Getting under an estimate is seriouly hard, since the guys who come out to do them are generally trying to give you a low figure to get your business.

GoT

jimymat
01-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Every body gets tipped. I had 3 guys move me, bill was 580 something, I gave them each a 20. I have nice stuff though. Average is just like a restaurant though 15 - 20% If I were you Id redeem yourself and contact the company and mail them a tip. It wouldnt be out of line.

DBowling
01-25-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did he serve time inside?

[/ QUOTE ]
are you a troll? if so, you are the most ambiguous troll ive ever encountered. almost funny actually.

Clarkmeister
07-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I've got movers coming on Friday. How does lunch work? Does the clock stop running on their hourly charge?

ddubois
07-07-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How does lunch work?

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally, you eat it.

nolanfan34
07-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Once again, king of the 6 month old bumped thread. Always impressive.

GuyOnTilt
07-07-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got movers coming on Friday. How does lunch work? Does the clock stop running on their hourly charge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They'll typically take a half hour off for lunch. Drive time to and from your place is billed though.

GoT

David04
07-07-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I much prefer an old thread being bumped than somebody creating a new thread and having everybody bitch "We just had this thread last week"

Clarkmeister
07-07-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The search engine is our friend. I try to set the example. Doing a search for +movers +tip isn't really that hard. If only we could get more to do the same.

Clarkmeister
07-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks. I knew about the drive time but wasn't sure about the lunch.

MarkL444
07-07-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quick question - I moved this weekend, and used a professional company for the first time. The guys who moved me did a pretty decent job, but after I paid them I had a bad feeling I should have tipped them. Does anyone know whether you're supposed to tip movers?

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should sleep with them or offer them some other sexual favors if you dont want to tip them

SuitedSixes
07-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Good bump. What can I expect, ballpark, for a 3-bedroom apartment, nothing out of the ordinary, no pianos or anthing like that? I am thinking of using "Starving Students Movers." Any thoughts?

GuyOnTilt
07-07-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good bump. What can I expect, ballpark, for a 3-bedroom apartment, nothing out of the ordinary, no pianos or anthing like that? I am thinking of using "Starving Students Movers." Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't use lowball agencies. Get one whose under one of the majors (United, Mayflower, Stevens, etc.) You'll be happy you did.

GoT

nolanfan34
07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The search engine is our friend. I try to set the example. Doing a search for +movers +tip isn't really that hard. If only we could get more to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that part of it, it's remembering all of those random old threads in the first place. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GL with the move, enjoy the new home.

goofball
07-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Does it qualify you as incredibly lazy if you hire movers when you are moving out of a 1 bedroom?

Clarkmeister
07-07-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that part of it, it's remembering all of those random old threads in the first place. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GL with the move, enjoy the new home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

But actually, I didn't remember this thread. I can't recall having ever read it. I just figured this is a topic that had likely been discussed and searched before starting a new thread.

NorCalJosh
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
having worked for United for a summer in high school, i can't say that i would necessarily agree with you there=p but it may have just been a local thing. my very first day of work, the driver stopped at 7/11 and grabbed a 6 pack on our way back to the warehouse, which he began drinking immediately upon getting back in the truck. at least 3/4 of the drivers had some criminal history, and in the warehouse, stuff was regularly thrown around.

just my personal experience however.

raisethatmofo
07-07-2005, 02:14 PM

Clarkmeister
07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerjo is a girl, right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.