PDA

View Full Version : anyone else prefer stars to party for SNGs

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 04:29 PM
It seems like the majority of STT posters play on Party, but from my limited experience I like the Stars structure much better. Is the play at Party really that much looser such that it justifies dealing with the shorter stacks and quicker blinds? Although the ring games at Stars are notoriously tight, I have found the SNGs to be pretty soft. I've mainly played the 30s and a couple of 50s so far. Is it worth switching my efforts to Party?

spentrent
01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Stars: higher ROI, lower hourly rate
Party: lower ROI, higher hourly rate

Edit: I can play TWICE as many Party games per hour!

FishBurger
01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
I play both the Party SnGs and the Stars Turbos. I play at Stars when I want to play a high-speed version of big-stack poker and I play at Party when I feel like I have the patience to only play one or two hands before it gets down to four players.

I believe playing at each site keeps my mind fresh and off-tilt.

rachelwxm
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I play at both, but I found the pool at party is much bigger so that you don't have to worry that people recognize you after a while as I have seen in ps. I think that has something to do with the fact that I cannot sustain hot run at ps.

I only play at turbo btw. I don't have patience to play regular games. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

J-Lo
01-24-2005, 05:56 PM
For me, i play the $15+1 turobs at stars and the 10+1 on party...

I like having the extra chips, but do people feel it takes that much longer? After a bit over 150 15+1 sng's on stars the longest SNG i've played there is 52 minutes, and they average 45 minutes total if i take 1st or 2nd...

On party i found it took the same amount of time ot finish a SNG, i hate how it gets down to 4x or 5x BB so quickly... On stars i can wait for a quality hand and push...

It seems when i push w/ KQ a fish will happily call me with A3 and when i push w/ AT a fish will happily call me w/ KQ on both sites... And i feel i'm better than coinflips against these players, so i wait for AK, AA-TT to push and i get the oportunity to wait longer on stars.... maybe because i have better streaks at stars... might be a mental thing.. i dunno

but i did go on a 6 outa 7 hot streak on stars the other day on the $15 to increase my bankroll by 15%

The once and future king
01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I have played 1600+ Unique players at stars this month.

rachelwxm
01-24-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have played 1600+ Unique players at stars this month.

[/ QUOTE ]
interesting, I don't have long experience at ps, what limit and hour do you play?
My observation is that for example ps turbo $15, on peak hours 9pm EST, there is probably 30-50 table at the same time. So if I am 4-tabling, I see alot of old faces.

When you mean Unique, do you never meet same person twice or that's just how many diff people you meet?
I can perfectly understand if you play 2000 people and only 1600 are unique, etc...

Shoe
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I've noticed the party tables have been getting much tighter lately. Rarely do I get the table where half the table is gone by the end or round 2 anymore. I find that there are usually 7-8 people left going into rounds 4-5 now.

slickpoppa
01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
seeing the same people isn't necessarily bad, unless they are good of course.

spentrent
01-24-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me, i play the $15+1 turobs at stars and the 10+1 on party...

I like having the extra chips, but do people feel it takes that much longer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have specified that I was comparing Party to the normal Stars tournaments.

But I do wonder whether the "Stars players are generally better" theory applies to the turbos...

The once and future king
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
I started a new poker tracker database for 2005.

I have played 1299 (not 1600 sorry) unique players this January.

I play 50s and 55 Turbos. I am loving PS at the moment as I have played 135 tournies and have an ITM of exactly 50% and a ROI of 42.9%.

Roan
01-24-2005, 10:43 PM
i prefer stars. i feel like the larger stacks/slower blinds allow for a lot more maneuvering, especially post flop, as well as a chance to recover from an early beat

whenever i played on party i felt like i was just hoping to get my money in preflop as a favorite and pray that it held up

while it is probably true that the brevity of party allows for a higher hourly ROI i feel much more in control of my BR at stars