PDA

View Full Version : Getting a New Car (Mazda)

shummie
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
The muffler just fell off my 96 Honda Civic Hatchback the other day, and I'm feeling like it's time to get a new ride. I was trying to hold out until this Spring since I travel every week for work and wouldn't get a chance to enjoy a new car, but after this latest of car troubles I'm ready.

I'm pretty stuck on getting either a new 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback link (http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHomeFlash.action?vehicleCode=MZ3&modelYear=2 005) (~$21,000 with moonroof and ALB, etc) or a used 2003 Mazda Protege 5 link (http://www.technofile.com/cars/mazda_protege5_2003.html) (~$12,000-$13,000 used).

I'm going to test drive these vehicles this week, along with a 2002 Protege 5 and 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch if possible. The test drive will probably be the biggest factor in my decision. Maybe I'll post results.

I don't like to waste money. I'm a used car kind of guy. A couple things make me want to get the new Mazda 3 though. (1) I've gone through my budget and I have enough money to afford this car and still have enough for living expenses, save at the rate I am, and have a comfortable amount of spending cash. (2) The Mazda 3 is likely to be worth more after 3-4 years, making the price difference smaller.

Some things making me want to get the used car. (1) I may not notice the difference. (2) If I instead save $2000 extra per year for 4 years (assuming 10% anual return), that money would become ~$18,000 in 10 years and ~47,000 in 20 years.

So by passing up the Mazda 3 now, I could possible have enough to get myself a Beamer when I retire (at 52).

Any advice is welcome. New or used? Work to find a used 2004 Mazda 3 (I saw a few for 15-16k)? Anyone drive these cars? Any other cars I should look into in this price range?

Thanks,

- Jason

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I've got a 2003.5 Mazda P5 with everything but leather I'd be willing to sell. I've had it for exactly 2 years and 4 days and it's only got 19k miles on it. It's a great car - the handling is awesome and it's a blast to drive on the twisties. Opinions differ on whether the 3 or the P5 is better - most people I've heard say they like the P5 better. I've sat in a 3 at a car show and I've gotta say I like my P5 better, but the 3 was good too. Come get it and I'll go get another WRX a little ahead of plan. I did a lot of research into the P5 before I bought it and was clearly convinced at the time that it was the best car in that price range. I don't think that'd be too far off 2 years later.

Benholio
01-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I bought a used 1999 Protege about 18 months ago, and it has been great to me. Price and reliability were the main factors in my decision. Check out Consumer Reports for reliability info for those models, it might help you choose.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I own 2 Saturns:

1998 SC2 - 139,000 miles
2001 SL2 - 98,000 miles

I have had zero problems with both of these cars. They are extremely reliable. You can find a good deal on them too.

For example (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80752&item=4521702 765&rd=1)

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
i bought a new car in october. after much research i was between the scion tc and the mazda 3. in the end it was the scion tc by a mile. after however many months i've had it, i still love the damn car. probably the best purchase of any kind i've ever made. do some research and you might just agree. at least test-drive one.

edit: i didn't want to get a used car so i didn't even look into that option.

2planka
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The test drive will probably be the biggest factor in my decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good. It tells me you're being somewhat impulsive. I suggest you select a few vehicles in your price range, develop a list of features that you must have, that you'd like to have, and that you don't really care about. Now go through your list and select two or three models that you want to pursue.

Next go to consumer reports and order their new car (or used car, as the case may be) price service. Spend the $12 to save a couple grand.

Now you're ready to talk to some dealerships. Before setting foot in a dealership, contact them and ask for their "Best Price" on a vehicle equipped the way you want. Have them e-mail it to you.

Compare their quoted best price to the CR research (and kbb if it's a used car). I use an excel file to compare vehicles AND dealerships. Your job is to get the car you want for the lowest price. It is business. It should not be emotional.

I've owned 4 Mazdas. Just traded my old 626 for a Ford pickup, but I still have a 2002 Millenia S.

Not sure of your stature, but the protege and the 3 are very small cars. I'm 6'1" and just simply don't fit in these cars.

That said, since your budget seems faily inflexible, I recommend the used protege 5 over the new 3. They're very reliable (my mom has one) and are basically the same car with a different skin. It'll get you where you need to go.

One thing I don't like about the protege 5 is the silly skinny tires they put on them. Low profile tires are a gimmick because they pop if you run over a grain of sand the wrong way.

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I own 2 Saturns:

1998 SC2 - 139,000 miles
2001 SL2 - 98,000 miles

I have had zero problems with both of these cars. They are extremely reliable. You can find a good deal on them too.

For example (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80752&item=4521702 765&rd=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

saturn is an american-made car. 'nuff said.

2planka
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
... and you can't haggle with them. BS.

mmbt0ne
01-24-2005, 04:41 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Next go to consumer reports and order their new car (or used car, as the case may be) price service. Spend the $12 to save a couple grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should you pay anything? There are plenty of sites online that give out invoice prices and the like for free, as well as tell you what the dealer kickbacks are. Does the guide have more and better information? (I honestly have no idea)

JTrout
01-24-2005, 04:41 PM
I owned a Mazda once. Beautiful car. It put the shop guys kid through college, though. I'll never own another.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
www.carbuyingtips.com (http://www.carbuyingtips.com)

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... and you can't haggle with them. BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to haggle if you're happy with the price. look at what you get on a standard tc for the price, and factor in that you won't have to go through the hassle of haggling with a guy that haggles for a living. i think the tc is an incredible value. i'm thrilled with my purchase and thought i'd give him the heads-up since the tc sounds like a good option for him to research. you don't like it? cool. go with what you like.

2planka
01-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Invoice prices are published for a reason. They are not a reflection of what the dealer pays for the unit. Incentives and holdback credits that are paid directly to the dealer are not reflected in the invoice price.

CR gives the wholesale price for a stripped-down vehicle, and lists base prices for options. Start with the base price for the model, add the options you want, and that should be the starting point for negotiations.

I've used this service for my last two vehicle purchases. The main pushback I get from the dealers is the "Am I not entitled to make a profit?" line. My response is to say that I'm willing to negotiate from my number. I then restate my number and leave. I've made it out of the lot a few times, but that means they didn't want to sell me the vehicle.

The price I paid for each of these cars was within $200 of my number.

Agree on a price first, get it in writing, then talk about financing, trade in, and money down. These should lower the total even more.

2planka
01-24-2005, 04:55 PM
It's your money. Do as you wish.

shummie
01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The test drive will probably be the biggest factor in my decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I mis-spoke. I should have said that the testdrive will be the "final" facor in my decision. It seems like the biggest because it is the last one left. On paper, I'm leaning towards a cheaper Protege 5, but I'm leaving open the possibility that I will get blown away by the difference of driving a newer Mazda 3 (biggest difference being the extra 30 horsepower).

I think I AM ignoring some other options in this price range. I have narrowed things down based on other cars I've driven, my experience driving a rented Mazda6, the positive reviews for the Mazda cars, but admitedly most importantly that I want a hatchback and these are the best looking ones IMO.

Thanks for your other suggestions. $12 is cheap for the Consumer Reports service; I will look into this. Calling the dealers before I go is good advice too.

RE Stature: I'm 6'2", but I've always been comfortable in other "small" cars... like my 96 Honda Civic. I guess I don't like to sprawl out so much as others. My brother who is the same size hates small cars and needs SUV size seating. I'll have to see with these.

Thanks again.

- Jason

mmbt0ne
01-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Well, that's good to know. Thanks.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RE Stature: I'm 6'2", but I've always been comfortable in other "small" cars... like my 96 Honda Civic. I guess I don't like to sprawl out so much as others. My brother who is the same size hates small cars and needs SUV size seating. I'll have to see with these.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'1" and have no problem fitting in my P5. It's not a huge [censored] SUV, so of course it's not wide open spaces in there, but that's a personal preference - you'll fit in the P5.

on_thg
01-24-2005, 06:06 PM
If you don't want to run right out and spend the $ on Consumer Reports, you might check out www.edmunds.com. (http://www.edmunds.com.)

I spent a few hours researching prospective models, read the reviews, printed out dealer invoices and (most valuably) checked out the forums. Picked up some tips on how to get the best price, learned about what promos were available (I got 5% below invoice thanks to a manufacturer promo), got the scoop on finance offers -- amazing how much some of the dealers I talked to marked up the interest rates, those bstrds.

The actual buy was totally hassle free once I spelled out what I wanted and made it clear that I knew what was what.

Happy test driving /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

shummie
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
I ran into edmunds just now in my searches. I'm into this article which is interesting:

Confessions of a Car Salesman (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/page001.html)

I'm a sucker for prose.

- Jason