PDA

View Full Version : Personal Assitant EV Calculations

SmileyEH
01-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I was perusing a copy of Cosmo last night while watching the AFC Championship (yes, I'm that much of a badass), when I came across a story about Jessica Simpson and her personal assistant. It immediately dawned upon me that I need one as well.

Before I get to the fringe benefits I'm going straight to the math.

Let x be my hourly rate playing poker and y being the hypothetical rate paid to a personal assistant. Let t be the hours per day I spend doing useless [censored] that a personal assistant could easily accomplish.

For hiring a personal assistant to be +EV, my hourly rate playing poker must be greater than the hourly wage of a personal assistant (1), as uselss [censored] time (laundry, shopping, picking up mail etc. etc.) will be replaced by a 1:1 ratio with poker time.

(1) x - y > 0

It follows that my profit per day is (2).

(2) profit = (x - y)*t

However, complications arise in that a personal assistant may be less efficent conducting my errands, as well I will have to pay them while "waiting" to do things ie; laundry will consume 2 hours of assistant time while only 30 mins of Smiley time (bagging, loading, unloading, folding). This will be accounted for in the change of variables to t' for assistant time as a dimensionless coefecient e > 1 regarding the effeciency of said assistants work (3).

(3) t' = e*t

Accounting for the change in hours spent working results in a modification of (2), giving t' accounted profit equation (4).

(4) profit = x*t - y*t'

It follows that the substitution of (3) into (4) gives (5).

(5) profit = x*t- e*y*t
= t*(x - e*y)

This modified equation completely accounts for all monetary cost/benefit of hiring a personal assistant. It is clearly +EV when x - e*y > 0. However, this expression does not account for the addition of a "social good" arising from my less stressful lifestyle (or in the case of a losing streak, a more stressful lifestyle). We can assign the arbitrary constant G as a monetary value to increase (or decrease happiness) for this variable .

Therefore, the final profit/day equation (6) follows natuarally.

(6) profit = t*(x - e*y) + G

I suggest you plug in your own t, x, e, y and G and explore the rewards of the personal assistant option. I know I will.

-SmileyEH

daryn
01-24-2005, 04:24 PM
what a waste for me. i don't do anything all day. my PA and me would just be hanging out on the couch for most of the day, except he would be making money.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 04:26 PM
This thread is -EV w/o any mention of sexual harassment.

ClimbRock512
01-24-2005, 04:26 PM
The problem arises when you can only play poker for a fixed number of hours each day due to mental health implications. Assuming that you could play a fixed number of hours of poker each day in order to stay sane and healthy, then having a PA would only free up time after poker. If you could play 4 hours a day, we'll say from 6-10pm, but you paid your assitant to do 2 hours of work, from 12-2pm, then you've gained free time from 8-10pm as the cost of your assistant's hourly wage.

The benefit of an assistant comes into play when your free time per day is less than your mentally allow daily dose of poker.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot on.

SmileyEH
01-24-2005, 04:29 PM
G accounts for personal benefit of sexually harrasing your assistant.

-SmileyEH

Shajen
01-24-2005, 04:31 PM
This has already been discussed. You can find the calculator here. (http://quarterlifecrisis.com/forums)

Seriously, it never gets old. IT JUST DOESN'T.

tek
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I thought that's what wives and GF's were for /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that's what wives and GF's were for /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your point?

Paluka
01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why my PA would be a fat nerdy bastard who would be smart enough to help me out with the occasional poker issue.

jakethebake
01-24-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That is why my PA would be a fat nerdy bastard who would be smart enough to help me out with the occasional poker issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a very odd sense of what's attractive.

radar5
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
My guess is that you could not replace all useless time with an assitant and replace that time with poker.

One example that comes to mind......masterbation...

discuss....

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that you could not replace all useless time with an assitant and replace that time with poker.

discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]
I can envision an arrangement that would allow for this.

Shajen
01-24-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well???? Share the idea dude. I've got a 7:30 with a potential PA, and I need this information.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well???? Share the idea dude. I've got a 7:30 with a potential PA, and I need this information.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you can figure it out - it's not rocket science.

Shajen
01-24-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

discuss....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you can figure it out - it's not rocket science.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, a quick google search indeed proves your theorom. (http://quarterlifecrisis.com/forums)

Nicely done sir.