PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars $1,000 high hand decision - fair or fou

05-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I was fortunate enough to make a royal flush in spades during the pokerstars $1,000 high hand of the day promotion. Unfortunately for me, Pokerstars apparently intends to define all royal flushes as being equal and several others were made in lesser suits. Does a Royal in spades beats a Royal in clubs? If anyone has seen simultaneous Royal Flushes (in stud), what was the ruling -- a tie or higher suit wins?

Landon

05-03-2002, 08:27 PM
AFAIK, suits only matter for the purposes of determining the bring-in. ie, if you and an opponent are "fortunate" enough to both make royals in the same hand, you chop the pot.

05-03-2002, 10:45 PM
I have tied in a stud hand (at the Excalibur in Las Vegas) with a regular flush. I had something like AhJh9h7h4h and my opponent had the exact same flush in another suit. The pot was chopped.

Suits are irrelevent in determining a winning hand. Pokerstars is handling the situation correctly.

05-03-2002, 11:22 PM
My question though is just... How many Royal Flushes SHOULD be MADE in an hour based on the amount of hands played... if you say 50-70 (let's say 50 tables (only REAL money, being generous), and have avg 70 Hph, that's 3500 Hands...

What are the Numbers... How many Royals should be issued?

05-04-2002, 12:48 AM
suits don't matter. a royal is a royal. but even if they did, it's pokerstars promotion and they make the rules. maybe you should try just saying thank you.

05-04-2002, 12:48 AM
I believe slightly under 1 royal flush per hour, assuming those are all hold'em 9 table hands. If you throw in some Omaha tables, then the average would go above 1 royal flush per hour.

But that was a quick calculation, so it could be off! And this is assuming 9 player showdown, which does not happen in actual play, but it's close, since players usually do not fold a potential royal (TJs, etc...) preflop. Though I am counting hands where the user only uses 1 hole card. Which would again skew the numbers.

- Tony

05-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Heres a common example you have probably seen before

Suppose you were playing holdem and you hold AQ of hearts. Your single opponet holds AQ of spades. The flop is KKK, the turn brings the case K.

Both you and your opponent have quad kings with an ace kicker. You chop the pot. The suit of your ace does not matter in determining the winner. However had you been holding QQ instead of AQ you would loose even though you were way ahead of your opponent on the flop.

So far my experiences with PokerStars has been great. The software is top notch, its the best site for tournaments, and they respond to my emails quickly. They are poised to become the dominate online poker site. In fact Paradise is scrambling to imitate some of the features found at Pokerstars. If you haven't tried them out yet, now is a good time, they have a fantastic deposit bonus going.

Just my two cents

Stu Pidasso

05-04-2002, 04:51 AM
Suits matter in 4 different scenarios.

1. Determining the bringin when ranks are tied.

2. Determining the button at the beginning of a tournament, and at the start of a tournament final table.

3. Determining which player gets the extra chip in a tournament race off.

4. Determining which player gets the additonal chip if there is an unequal amount of chips in the pot. (eg. If you and your stud opponent both had royals you in spades him in hearts, and the pot was $1001, you would get $501)

Suits never matter in STANDARD poker games for purposes of dertermining the winner.

05-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Yesterday pokerstars had an hour were 4 royal straight flushes were hit. The handnumber of the first one was 10120514. The handnumber of the last one was 10138257. That's 17743 hands in between (1 Royal/5914 hands). Is this a normal outcome or did some players got very lucky that particular hour.

05-04-2002, 11:53 AM
First hand you quote was at 11:24 and the second -at 16:18. Not in one hour.

05-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok. Sorry my mistake. I looked it up now and you are right. But when I played yesterday pokerstars at the lobby separately displayed the high hand for the last 3h and 1 hour were displaying 4 royalstr8flushes + the handnumbers. That's when I wrote the handnumbers. I didn't look up the hands right away as I should. But it's still strange. Why would they do something like that. Displaying handnumbers for 1h when it actually was 5h between the hands???.

05-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Stu, Landon, et al,

This is almost the exact example I quoted to Lando when he emailed me. Actually I pointed out that, if we both have Ace-high straights at the end of a hand, the person with the A of spades doesn't get the whole pot.

Thanks for all the good words!

...dan

05-04-2002, 10:29 PM
you misread. There was no hour with more than one Royal Flush. But there were 6 Royal Fulshes displayed in the "High Hand of the Day" (not hour).

05-05-2002, 05:30 AM
Ok. Now I get it. Ty Mark.