PDA

View Full Version : Party $11 steal attempt flops second pair

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-24-2005, 02:56 PM
EDIT: only the second flop i've taken and the first hand i've played for a raise so far this tourney, if table image considerations are at all meaningful here.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1130)
Hero (t715)
SB (t840)
BB (t1330)
UTG (t1275)
MP1 (t1790)
MP2 (t920)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, SB folds, BB calls t150.

Flop: (t425) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t515 (All-In)</font>

PE101
01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Call me a wimp, but I think you way overplayed this hand.

What was the outcome?

rachelwxm
01-24-2005, 04:48 PM
I only have one small suggestion with your play. That is you have to made a decision as to what will you do after flop? If you raise 200, you are likely pot commit youself. So if you want to raise 200 PF, you might as well push PF.

Personally I think raise 150 or 125 is better, and bet 150 on flop fold if he check raise you. That leave you with some working stack if you miss completely. But I am not sure if I would fold on this flop though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bigwig
01-24-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only have one small suggestion with your play. That is you have to made a decision as to what will you do after flop? If you raise 200, you are likely pot commit youself. So if you want to raise 200 PF, you might as well push PF.

Personally I think raise 150 or 125 is better, and bet 150 on flop fold if he check raise you. That leave you with some working stack if you miss completely. But I am not sure if I would fold on this flop though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thinking.

At Party, a BB of 50 is in the 'worth stealing' phase.

And to do that, I don't think you need to raise to 200. 125 is fine preflop.

Postflop, you're only getting called by a Q, and you're dead. I check the flop, and wait to see what the BB's actions are on the turn. With a blank and a check, I'm making a bet. Not even all-in, necessarily.

bigredlemon
01-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Presuming a blank flops, that seems to be just inviting a steal, and it'll be hard for our hero to known whether the villain had top pair weak kicker, strong hand waiting for a c/r, hit the turn (likely overcard), or plain steal.

I'd probably would have gone all in on the flop too, though I'm not claiming that's the best move.

Bigwig
01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Presuming a blank flops, that seems to be just inviting a steal, and it'll be hard for our hero to known whether the villain had top pair weak kicker, strong hand waiting for a c/r, hit the turn (likely overcard), or plain steal.

I'd probably would have gone all in on the flop too, though I'm not claiming that's the best move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's hard to know. But here's what I do know, if you push this flop and get called, you're going broke. I'd like to get more info first.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-24-2005, 07:05 PM
OK, sounds good. My standard preflop raise at Level 3 has been 4xBB but I will try 3xBB and see how that works.

I figured that he would call my flop all-in with a Q (and the unlikely AA/KK) and fold pretty much everything else he could realistically have.