PDA

View Full Version : bankroll

matt berkey
01-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I play roughly 5 30+3 or 50+5 SnG's a day and generally place in 3. However, I've noticed myself only cashing out a couple hundred bucks at the end of the week. I catch myself taking risks once I garner some cash such as multi's, step tournys, and the occassional 100+9 SnG's. I guess my question is can you build a significant bankroll strictly playing online tounys? And is it a bad move to put my money in play else where, such as the big multis?

Irieguy
01-24-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play roughly 5 30+3 or 50+5 SnG's a day and generally place in 3...
... I guess my question is can you build a significant bankroll strictly playing online tounys?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you place in 3 of every 5 SNGs you play, your ITM% is 60%. If you play regularly at the $33's and $55's with a 60% In-The-Money rate, you should make around a quarter million dollars this year. So, as long as your stats are accurate, you won't have any trouble building a significant bankroll.

Irieguy

matt berkey
01-24-2005, 05:51 PM
That stat is taken from a small sample though. I'm obviously not placing 60% of the time over 1000 SnG's. And like I said I like to "up the stakes" once I go on a winning streak by taking a $33 gambling playing a large multi or playing a steps tourny. Is this a bad way of thinking? Eventually my ITM rate will lower and fall closer to 33% I assume.

USGrant
01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't see how you get $250K from those numbers -- I'm getting a 5-day net of $625 if you average 3/5 ITM places in the 30/3 SNG's and a $1125 5-day net for the 50/5 SNG's. That's not close to 250K but it aint bad money if that's what you can consistently do.

USGrant
01-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I've tried many different combos of SNG's, big tourneys, low stakes cash games, steps and 3-table multi's. My feeling is that if you're decent at the game and trying to build a bankroll or just be consistently profitable then a strict diet SNG's is the best way to go. People have a million opinions on it, but I always am most profitable and least tilty when I stay away from the temptations of a high pay out 1500-person multi and the big swings of cash games. If I am on a good roll I'll treat myself to a big multi tourney playing house money.

mcpherzen
01-24-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you get $250K from those numbers -- I'm getting a 5-day net of $625 if you average 3/5 ITM places in the 30/3 SNG's and a $1125 5-day net for the 50/5 SNG's. That's not close to 250K but it aint bad money if that's what you can consistently do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy is being facetious (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious). His point is that if you truly could finish in the money 60% of the time playing $33 or $55 sng's over infinity, you'd certainly want to "quit your day job" and play boatloads of them.

A good player's ITM percentage at those levels should fall between 37% and 43% over time. Yes, you can certainly make a lot of money playing nothing but sng's. Make sure you are adequately bankrolled for the inevitable downswings (have at least 30 buy-ins in your account) and the best thing you could learn to do is multitable. Get a monitor capable of 1600x1200 resolution and learn how to play 4 games at once with no drop off in concentration or quality of your play.

--zen

SuitedSixes
01-25-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm with 'Zen here. I've tried limit ring games, NL ring games, stud, and omaha, and I think that the single easiest way to build a bankroll (outside of bonus whoring) is to become proficient at SNGs. And the next step after gaining proficiency is to get that big 1600x1200 and play four at a time. What makes SNGs easiest is the low variance and the accompanying low bankroll requirements. It can take a long time to build a 300BB 'roll for the next level for ring games, but 30 Buy-ins can be accumulated rather quickly, especially multitabling.

Mr_Gordon
01-25-2005, 12:07 PM
It only took me a month to build up 100 buy-ins at the 20's and I think I'm going to keep my roll there and just cash out everything over $2200. This way the swings will never crush me. p.s. I got this idea from someone a few weeks ago but can't remember their name.

matt berkey
01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanx for the input, I also have been trying the buffet we call online poker playing everything from ring games to multi table tournys and have encountered some major swings. I think I'll give stickin to tournys a go. Out of curiousity how many tournys (when your multi tabling) do you play a day/a week? I'm very curious to know when to quit for the day.

etgryphon
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very curious to know when to quit for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's your job, quit when you've put you time in and you aren't making mistakes. If you are having fun, quit when you aren't having fun.

For me, I quit playing when I make two big mistakes that I can see clearly. Then I go over the HH and see why I made those mistakes and if I feel confident that I won't make the same mistakes I maybe start playing again.

-Gryph