PDA

View Full Version : Question Party Poker Tornament 4th Step

devore
01-24-2005, 08:53 AM
This happened to me in one of this new Party Poker "step" Tornaments. It was the "4th step" two table tornament. Still 9 players. The first 8 players will qualify for the 1000usd final. This means one to go. The situation was: Blinds are 150/300. I was seat three with only 220 chips left. Seat two the guy had 940.
The chipleader (seat 9) raised up to 800. Seat two reraised "all in" with 940. Everybody folded. Seat 9 showed A 8 suited. Seat two KK. - A 8 won the pot and so I was one of the lucky 8 players, who qualified for the final.
My questions are: In this situation with me only having 220 of chips, should seat two not 100% fold his KK? - What is the right play? What to do with A A even in his situation?

And on the other hand. For me with my 220 (remember the blinds are allready 150/300) is for me any hand a over-call? Or should I even fold K K and A A and look what will happen?

Thank you and sorry for my english. devore

DonButtons
01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it's better to see if you (220) short stack will bust out. In sat's you don't have to play to win, but to place in 8 spots. He's going to lose 30% of the time to one overcard prob. and a random big blind hand from you will lose around 40% prob when a couple people will call and check down. My numbers are way off, but you see the point.

schwza
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
you should definitely fold KK, IMO. AA is a tougher question. what were the other stacks? if you had called with AA and tripled up (+blinds), would you still be short stack? i assume no - how many shorter stacks would there be? how short?

adanthar
01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
It depends on where the blinds are (how many hands you have to go) and what the other stacks are at, but yes, seat two should fold KK and probably AA there.

Depending on the other stacks, you should certainly fold any hand including AA. The only time your presence makes any difference is when you finish first and seat 2 finishes second; if everyone else folds you'll have roughly 1K chips afterwards but seat 2, the next shortest stack, will still have 1500+. Since you can't pull yourself all the way out of the hole on one hand, just fold it and hope 2 busts.

If there was a third guy behind you with 500, the call with AA would make more sense since your 1K stack would now be enough to fold in.

Beavis68
01-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Since the guy only had 3x the BB, this seems close. on pot will bring the short stack up to 600+ in chips. Seems like the odds are fairly even here, at least he gets to play it again.

devore
01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
@ all - thank you for the support. - I reached the final-table and made third place ( 1800.-UsD). Never played any regular 1000.-usd buy in one table-tornaments before, but they are sure much tighter. So if you like action and "surprising showdowns" I can highly recommand this party-poker-step-tornament.

see you. devore