PDA

View Full Version : Looking for General Views of Pokerstars

05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Just wondering what people's general opinion of Parkerstars is. I played Paradise (bleh!) and am currently playing TruePoker (ok, but not too many games). What are the games, interface, play level, support, etc. in your opinion? Would like some feedback before taking the plunge. Thank you in advance for any replies.

05-02-2002, 01:42 PM
He asked...

Two months ago I did something I never thought I'd do, I trusted an online poker site enough to send part of my hard earned bankroll.

The site was TruePoker and I still trust it and love playing there.

When I first decided to take the TP plunge, PokerStars was also a site I felt I could trust and their promotions this week encouraged me to make a deposit to max out the 25% bonus.

ANYWAYS (sheesh can I ramble or what)

My General views (only 3 days, 700 some hands)

1. Easy to download, easy to deposit, easy to use software. Responsive support department (but I wont say why I know this).

2. 3/6 and 5/10 Games this week have been very tight and very agressive. Expected with the promotion on 2+2 and RGP, I guess. Ive heard even 2/4 is unusually strong.

3. WAY quicker than TruePoker. To me, this is more bad than good. 9 handed makes it easier to get down to 6-7 handed really quick and 90+ hands per hour just seems to hectic to me right now, being used to TP. Not as much player interaction, cause things zip by too darn fast.

NOTE: 4&5 Are not accusations, just my limited experience in the last 3 days...

4. I've seen a lot more HUGE hands (quads, nut flushes, boats). I've seen a lot of flops that seem to perfectly hit the people left in the hand (set over set, two pair vs. top pair w/ nut flush draw, AQ flops when players hold AK and AQ, etc... This of course, may just be the way the cards fell over this short period. But I am keeping an eye on it.

5. In 2 months, I've seen some nasty suckouts on TruePoker and like most of you, I end up as the suckee. However, I have yet to see anything at TP to make me think the software/player is helping themselves. The last three days at PS, I have seen a lot of slim draws hit on the turn or river, which I guess I would expect less of in the T/A games that have dominated play. Comments from other players at the table seem to reinforce this occurs a lot. But of course everyone says that... again, just something Im keeping an eye on.

6. Got to try my first baby PL game last night after I got enough Points for the hat. Very interesting. Worth a try.

7. The tournaments appear to be second to none. I'm looking forward to trying them.

So, my advice?

If you're going to try it, do it now and get the 25% bonus (you missed the shirt and hat /images/smile.gif ). See you around at TP & maybe PS.

Michael

Be the flop...

See the flop...

You're not being the flop, Danny.

05-02-2002, 02:19 PM
#3 explains #'s 4 and 5. stars software is about 3 times as fast as truepoker. when you see this many more hands, you're going to see more crazy hands in a shorter period of time.

although they do seem to have a problem giving my opponents runner-runner flushes way to often in tournament play /images/smile.gif it just happened again this morning in the no limit freeroll... i got all in with bottom set against top two pair but it came running spades and he had the flush. argh!

05-03-2002, 01:46 AM
Well, I've been playing at PokerStars for a few days now. Their software is similar to Paradise in features and speed. Their chat and dealer text functions are less convenient than those at Paradise, since the text often auto-scrolls while you try to review recent action or chat (though not as bad as PartyPoker's program) and an options menu must first be accessed to switch between text display options. Their player notes feature is also much less useful than the one at Paradise Poker (where you can make notes which pop up on screen when you place your cursor over the player). On the positive side, their multi-table tournaments seem very well done.

As for the games, I have thus far played low limits (up to 3-6) and found the competition to be a bit tougher than what I usually encountered at Paradise...a lot of tight and aggressive play.

One difference between PokerStars and other sites is that all their games are 9-handed. I prefer being able to choose between 10-handed and 5 or 6-handed games.

I haven't had any experience with their support yet. I seem to be experiencing more connection issues at PokerStars than Paradise, but fewer than at PartyPoker or TruePoker.