PDA

View Full Version : 3 Monitor capabilities.

47outs
01-24-2005, 07:17 AM
I saw in a past post that someone has three monitors working. Could this be done off one system so your mouse can travel through the 3 screens?

My laptop setup says 'dual monitor' capable and I use it, love it.

If it can be done, how?

outs

jomatty
01-24-2005, 08:23 AM
with a video card you can set up a whole bunch of monitors that your mouse will travel between as if it were all one monitor. you can set up a wall of monitors if you were so inclined. thats what my brother (who knows about such things) explained to me when i asked about it.
matty

messenger309
01-24-2005, 09:37 AM
That was probably me. I've now upped to four 17" LCD's. Yes the mouse will travel across all four. It's like one giant desktop. If you have a laptop you are limited to two monitors but you can plug one in to the back of your laptop. You will have to change your settings in the control panel: display: settings. Click the 'extend my windows desktop to this monitor' check box. If the second monitor doesn't show up make sure you don't have Adobe truetype installed. Remove with the add/remove programs function.

I used to use a 21" CRT plugged into my laptop running at 1600x1200. You can put four tables on the 21 and surf or whatever on the laptop screen. The tables are small though.

If you have a desktop, XP limits(!) you to ten different displays. You will need multiple video cards. For four displays the best route is a cheap dual head AGP card and a cheap dual head PCI card from the same manufacturer (I used Radeon cards). If you want just three monitors, Matrox makes a tri head card called the Parhelia but it is expensive.

Once you get used to a big desktop you will never go back. It's very useful for a lot more than poker. I consider any system with two or less displays a pain to work on.

Rob

47outs
01-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks messenger, very informative. I currently run 2 screens off of my laptop and love it!

Looks like I will have to purchase a new desktop though. What do you suggest the min. processor(ghz) and ram to be for 4 monitors?

Thanks again.

outs

messenger309
01-24-2005, 01:42 PM
You don't need much. I had a shop put together a basic P4 2.6Ghz, half a gig of RAM and the video cards. I run four tables no problem plus Poker Tracker and Game Time+ with virtually no slowdown.

The two video cards are 64Mg and 128 meg. There is no real performance difference that I can tell between them.

Rob