PDA

View Full Version : Backing Into the Money

LeVoodoo
01-24-2005, 03:32 AM
My first post guys, glad to have joined.

I've developped a particular habit, sometimes good - sometimes bad, when playing in tourneys (both multi and single table, but my most recent occurence was in multi). When I get close to the money, i become ultra-tight, i barely play any hands and try to back my way into some cash. Sometimes, i will fold what are normally very playable hands.

It works because I always do get into the money. Nothing ticks me off than finishing 5-10 spots out in multi games. It doesn't work because by check-folding most of the way in, my stack decreases and my opponents stacks increase. I am generally shortstacked, which makes it near impossible to finish near the top, say, top 3-5. End result, I win a fair bit more than I lose, so you could say it works, but I may be missing out on the big money.

Is this a good/poor strategy?
I'm assuming i'm not the only one that does this, I welcome any advice. Thanks.

Shilly
01-24-2005, 04:18 AM
This question comes up quite a bit.

You think that you're not the only person that does this? Would you agree that some others are tightening up near the bubble? If you think that the answer to both of these questions is yes, then you're right. However, instead of tightening up near the bubble, you should actually become more aggressive because you can exploit this highly profitable situation. Players are afraid to bubble out, so it's much easier to steal blinds and pots.

In order to maximize your $EV, you need to play for the top, higher-paying spots. It always hurts to bubble out, but you'll never be able to make a final table or pull down a win when you tighten up.

Shilly
01-24-2005, 04:22 AM
I should add that you have to pick your battles. Don't try to steal from a stack that can't fold (you have no "fold equity"), and don't try to steal from the big stacks. Big stacks are probably going to try to exploit your supposed "scared, average stack" if you attempt a steal and try to resteal. Find the players that you can steal from, and rob them blind.

*Edit -- The first post I made on this site was basically the exact same question that you had. I was playing in my first live MTT, with a $50 buy-in + $30 add-on. The payout structure was something like $1500 for 1st, $900 for 2nd, and $400 for 3rd, with 4th - 8th getting $50 back. Instead of trying to make moves when I had chips, I tightened up. I squeaked into the money (I wound up in 8th) but still lost $30, and passed up my shot at the real cash. But with the help of these boards, I have VASTLY improved my play, and I'm sure you will, too.

Welcome to the forums.

schwza
01-24-2005, 11:57 AM
yeah, i'd say backing into the money ranks right up there with calling too frequently on the flop as "classic beginner mistakes." the real money in MTT's comes from the top 5 or so spots, not from squeaking into winning 1.2 x the buy-in.

if you yourself have a larg-ish stack near the bubble, this is probably the easiest money in poker. you can just rob people blind (hahaha). obviously you can be much more free with it if all of the stacks bigger than yours have folded.

this time is so profitable that sklansky tells a story of folding QQ to a short-stack push because he wants to preserve the profitable bubble period.

i don't advice you start making bold calls with marginal hands - but do remember that everyone else wants to make the money as much as you do, so you can steal with marginal hands in position.