PDA

View Full Version : Movie details that bugged you

Reef
01-24-2005, 03:31 AM
In Spiderman 2, how was Doctor Octopus going hit for hit with Spiderman? Spiderman is far superior when it comes to strength - one hit should have been sure to knock out any normal guy. The robotic arms did not make Doc Oc anymore stronger or invulnerable.

This detail bugged me. What are other details in movies that have bugged you?

Popinjay
01-24-2005, 03:38 AM
He had the will of the robotic arms since they were controlling him, which meant he was going to keep on fighting till the death.

pshreck
01-24-2005, 03:40 AM
That one bugged me too.

In Friday Night Lights, they are clearly preparing for the last play of the game, as they are out of timeouts and there is very little time left.

So the guy runs in and gets a first down before the endzone.... and they are acting all happy? The clock would have run out and they would have lost... but instead, there is a penalty, and they get another play?

I hate in general when sports movies are made and the director seems to think the audiences don't care about any specific details of a football game.

KJS
01-24-2005, 03:51 AM
I hate it that phones rings more quickly in movies. I know you are trying to fit everything into 90 minutes, but can't you just let the damn phone ring every 4 seconds or whatever it does in real life?

KJS

Reef
01-24-2005, 04:01 AM
In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (I know, I know.. it's a bunch of lifelike turtles, etc.. however), as Shredder drinks the ooze, he becomes super huge. The obscure detail is that his whole outfit grows proportionally as well.

Tron
01-24-2005, 04:38 AM
I realize that most of you hate this movie, but... In Napoleon Dynamite, when Napoleon is calling Kip and asking him to pick him up, bring him his Chapstick, etc. they keep cutting back and forth from the school office and the kitchen. From one cut to another the cheese on top of the nachos grows exponentially, and it is definitely more cheese than any mere mortal could possibly shred in a few seconds. I noticed that one time when I was drunk... I thought it was real funny.

kemystery
01-24-2005, 04:40 AM
this one has always bugged me - in Rounders, after Mike and Worm chop up the trust fund kids. Worm and Mike head into the City and Mike sets up Worm at the Chesterfield on credit, then goes home and gets popped by the old lady for the roll of cash in his pocket (snooping bitch).

Why doesn't Mike just give the $900 or so they won to Worm, plenty of roll for a decksmith like him and let Worm fend for himself for a bankroll with $900? Instead he takes ALL the money, stakes Worm with Credit under himself (Mike), his girlfriend finds the 900 roll and ends up leaving him eventually because he lies to her about playing. Seems like the story could have been really cool, but this is what they came up with instead. Not trying to give the Rounders hard core any disrespect I mean its the Best movie about Poker and all since 'Cincy, so we'll take it but think about what a Rounders 2 storyline would be in this day and age, I would hope deeper then the orig.
Plus my vote for the title: 'Rounder' funny the writers are touted for the 'Tilt' series, I never thought the movie was very well written but was inspiring to watch and had a generation X feel with the quick scenes cutting quickly from place to place, that made it easy to watch and was visually entertaining as well.

ilya
01-24-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (I know, I know.. it's a bunch of lifelike turtles, etc.. however), as Shredder drinks the ooze, he becomes super huge. The obscure detail is that his whole outfit grows proportionally as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my unrated version it doesn't.

Reef
01-24-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my unrated version it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

strange, I just got finished watching the rated version an hour ago.. and , well, it did.

sexypanda
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Ok, was I the only one who got soo pissed off at the end of Signs when I found out that the Aliens were alergic to freaking water! What was the aliens' plan when it rained? Talk about being short-sighted. What was the alien board meeting that came up with this genius idea? "Well, everyone, we found this planet thats perfect, but there's one thing, 2/3rds of the planet is covered with deadly poisonous acid, and sometimes deadly poisonous acid just falls from the sky." God I hated that movie!

TStokes
01-24-2005, 02:38 PM
maybe that is because aliens have never encountered water before. what if humans found a new planet went there and it was covered with a goo and we found out we were allergic to it. should we have just assumed it would kill us before we got there?

Bluffoon
01-24-2005, 02:39 PM
It bugs me when bad guys can't shoot and it bugs me when like twenty bad guys surround the good guy in a fight but they all wait patiently for the good guy to kick their asses one at a time.

Bluffoon
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe that is because aliens have never encountered water before. what if humans found a new planet went there and it was covered with a goo and we found out we were allergic to it. should we have just assumed it would kill us before we got there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon you have to do your homework before you try to take over an alien planet. Everyone knows that.

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 02:53 PM
and let's not forget the water vapor in our air they would have encountered as soon as they left their ships.

i liked the movie though. m nizzle!

elwoodblues
01-24-2005, 02:54 PM
One of the premises of the movie was that the aliens knew about it (that's why none of the signs were near water --- or at least that was M. Night's character's theory)

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
i saw this movie one time where this guy walked up to this girl, said like two words to her, and then they had sex. come on, that NEVER happens in real life. to make matters worse, the same thing happened in every scene. wtf?!? some movies are so dumb.

lucas9000
01-24-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the premises of the movie was that the aliens knew about it (that's why none of the signs were near water --- or at least that was M. Night's character's theory)

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't that also in the kid's book? i can't remember exactly.

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, was I the only one who got soo pissed off at the end of Signs when I found out that the Aliens were alergic to freaking water! What was the aliens' plan when it rained? Talk about being short-sighted. What was the alien board meeting that came up with this genius idea? "Well, everyone, we found this planet thats perfect, but there's one thing, 2/3rds of the planet is covered with deadly poisonous acid, and sometimes deadly poisonous acid just falls from the sky." God I hated that movie!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://maddox.xmission.com/signs.html

I think that most people who didn't think this movie was incredible (re: people with a brain) had pretty much these same thoughts.

Sponger15SB
01-24-2005, 03:03 PM
In the movie behind enemy lines where Owen Wilson gets shot at ohhh about 1,500 times and never gets shot yet he is somehow Vassili Zaitsev when he fires a gun.

I mean, I guess this is similar in every action movie yet this one seemed to really stick out in my mind as a joke.

The Yugoslavian
01-24-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the movie behind enemy lines where Owen Wilson gets shot at ohhh about 1,500 times and never gets shot yet he is somehow Vassili Zaitsev when he fires a gun.

I mean, I guess this is similar in every action movie yet this one seemed to really stick out in my mind as a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the movie that sticks out in my mind in this way is Face Off with Cage and Travolta. John Woo (I believe the director) has soooo many bullets whizzing by and both of them just run around in pseudo-slowmo not getting hit while everyone else is dropping like ducks. Of course, this is every action movie but I think there is always one or two that stick in your mind for being too over the top.

Yugoslav

whiskeytown
01-24-2005, 03:21 PM
When Kiersten Dunst's dress got wet at the end of Spiderman2 -

you know that should have been transparent enough to see through....damn hollywood digitizing....

RB

Uston
01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!

Mystic River:
If you're Tim Robbins and you're clearly about to get blasted, wouldn't you at least offer to show Sean Penn the body of the pedophile that you murdered?

Also, in the later Halloween movies, it always bugged me that Michael Myers had superhuman powers. I mean, what about him makes it possible to get shot 100 times, beaten, and burned and not die? Typically, it's not a trait I associate with the clinically insane.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Back to the Future (the first one)

When Doc is trying to plug in the wiring harness on the ledge of the clock tower, they clearly show his velcro fastening shoes. While velcro was in fact patented in 1955, velcro shoes were not really widely available to the public until the 1980's.

kemystery
01-24-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When Doc is trying to plug in the wiring harness on the ledge of the clock tower, they clearly show his velcro fastening shoes. While velcro was in fact patented in 1955, velcro shoes were not really widely available to the public until the 1980's.

[/ QUOTE ]

really killed the whole franchise for me......

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
THE MAN TRAVELS THROUGH [censored] TIME.

Beerfund
01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate it that phones rings more quickly in movies. I know you are trying to fit everything into 90 minutes, but can't you just let the damn phone ring every 4 seconds or whatever it does in real life?

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Along the same lines, when someone tells someone else to turn on the tv because blah blah blah is on as soon as they turn it on it's ALWAYS on the right channel /images/graemlins/frown.gif

daryn
01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

he is a semi-crackpot scientist/inventor. if velcro existed, why is it so far fetched that he decided to put them on shoes? sounds like a good invention to me.

oh yeah, he built a time machine too. i think he can slap together a pair of shoes.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Rounders. Does this math not make sense or is it just me?

Mike plays KGB heads-up for $10,000. Wins.
Mike plays KGB heads-up for $20,000. Wins.

Mike now has $40,000.

He pays $15,000 to Grandma. He pays $10,000 back to the judge. He squares up with the Chesterfield for the $8,000 he owes them.

$40K - $15K - $10K - $8K = $7

But then Mike goes on by saying that after he pays everyone off, he is right back where he started with a little over $30,000. How did that happen?

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
THE MAN TRAVELS THROUGH [censored] TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but this was the pre-timetravelling Doc from 1955.

drewjustdrew
01-24-2005, 03:55 PM
The one I never understood was the climax of Seven. Kevin Spacey does an impromptu ending that I think is supposed to be accepted by the audience as a tightly wrapped conclusion. The fact of the matter was, he started killing on the premise of the seven deadly sins. He carefully identified all of his victims until the last two. Pitt's wife was an innocent bystander, free of sin, but was killed anyway. Spacey didn't even know Pitt when he started the killing, but Pitt became the final sin evidently not meant to die unless he was expected to kill himself.

I guess you can argue that the cops got too close for the real plan to unfold, but I think the movie tried to make it seem like this was his intention all along.

vulturesrow
01-24-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Behind Enemy Lines was downright painful for me to watch. The sequence near the beginning where the missile chases him down is downright hilarious. Plus its many portrayals of carrier operations, etc, are horrible. Plus the stuff you said.

daryn
01-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Mike now has $40,000.

He pays $15,000 to Grandma. He pays $10,000 back to the judge. He squares up with the Chesterfield for the $8,000 he owes them.

But then Mike goes on by saying that after he pays everyone off, he is right back where he started with a little over $30,000. How did that happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

the stipulation before that match was that they could reload at any time. presumably kgb did some reloading.

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Thank you Daryn. I must be slow.

drewjustdrew
01-24-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mike now has $40,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

the stipulation before that match was that they could reload at any time. presumably kgb did some reloading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i thought he said he had about $60,000 by the end. Maybe I have a fuzzy memory though.

ArchAngel71857
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
In Star Wars A New Hope, Obi Wan Kenobi says:

"and these blaster marks. Too accurate for Sand people, only IMPERIAL TROOPS are so precise."

Yet stormtroopers don't hit a [censored] thing for the rest of the trilogy.

-AA

fluff
01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
In the Matrix, the Machines were using Humans to create power by using their body heat. However the Humans caused a lot of problems (rejecting the Matrix, having Neo fly around and mess up stuff, etc).

If all the Machines needed was body heat, why not use cows? More body heat, less maintenance.

NoPeak
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
When did Tucker Max star in a movie?

daryn
01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
In the Matrix, the Machines were using Humans to create power by using their body heat. However the Humans caused a lot of problems (rejecting the Matrix, having Neo fly around and mess up stuff, etc).

If all the Machines needed was body heat, why not use cows? More body heat, less maintenance.

[/ QUOTE ]

would have made for an awesome movie.

istewart
01-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Chris Cooper's wife in American Beauty. I never understood the essence behind her role or actions; i.e. why she was always listless and almost dead.

istewart
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
If you want to talk Rounders, how about the fact that he "folded stuff, mostly" at a 300/600 table for an hour with $6K?

ddollevoet
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
My guess is that it was the results of relentless beatings from her husband.

tek
01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
The question should be why would he give any money or credit to Worm? He knows the guy all his life...

tek
01-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Ok, at the end of the Color of Money Newman forfiets against Cruise. Then he breaks a rack of balls while practiving in the Green Room and exclaims "I'm Back!".

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rick Diesel
01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Watched this Skinimax special a couple of weeks back called Spiderbabe. This chick was shooting webs out of her snatch, and all the guys wanted her. I mean, if I saw a spider web anywhere near a chick's snatch, I would be out of there in a hurry. Or at least get one of those miner's hats with the light on top before I went into that tunnel.

drewjustdrew
01-24-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to talk Rounders, how about the fact that he "folded stuff, mostly" at a 300/600 table for an hour with $6K?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since its B&amp;M, they probably only played 20 hands, so he only paid 900 - 1000 in blinds depending on blind structure. But you are right, he was definitely under bankrolled.

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:24 PM
In Minority Report, the whole premise contains a big hole. Instead of only predicting murders, the psychics are causing one. The only reason Tom Cruise eventually ends up in the room with the pictures is because they predicted that he would. Had there been no prediction, no murder would have taken place.

Has anyone seen The Flight of the Pheonix? It was awful for one thing, and for another, they apparently dig their plane out of like fifteen feet of sand in a couple hours or something with their hands. They just cut scenes and don't explain it.

Sluss
01-24-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This always bothered me about the Incredible Hulk as well. Everything tears off except his pants.

daryn
01-24-2005, 06:34 PM
what are you, gay?

Oski
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are you, gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

fnord_too
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This always bothered me about the Incredible Hulk as well. Everything tears off except his pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

so... it bothers you that his pants don't tear off. Interesting. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Ocho
01-24-2005, 06:40 PM
They were playing stud. A string of shitty bring-ins and you're F-ed in the A.

daryn
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is incorrect, but i'm not 100% sure.

Justin A
01-24-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was definitely hold'em. You can see the community cards in the middle of the table.

The Ocho
01-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Nevermind then. I concede the point.

drewjustdrew
01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was hold'em because knish was asking about Mike's hole cards. Wired Aces or Kings? He didn't care about an upcard.

fimbulwinter
01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
we cannot encounter material that is entirely new. if need be we can analyze all but the most insanely (ostensibly life-derived) molecules from afar and moreover we (as a species) have produced/encountered all small, stable molecules physically possible. to think that a species capable of space travel/parasitism would not have the same basal skill set is patently wrong.

also, good thing they never came in contact with air, cos that has plenty of h2o in it.

fim

namknils
01-24-2005, 07:03 PM
TROY

I think it happens for most of the movie, but in particular, when the Greek army is camping out on the beach of Troy there is at least one morning shot where the sun is comping UP over the water. This would mean that the Sun was rising in the West. I wasn't alive back then, but I'm pretty sure that the Sun has always risen in the East.

fimbulwinter
01-24-2005, 07:09 PM
his masterpiece was supposed to be seven acts of murder committed in the name of the seven deadly sins. sort of like a suicide with delusions of grandeur. while spacey did not know pitt, he did have the whole shebang planned from the start as is evidenced by many the years worth of writings. had it not been pitt, it would have been someone else. the people killed are not always the "guilty" ones (remember the particualrly sick "lust" killing where the hooker dies and not the lustful man?). point is that spacey was supposed to be so crazy/dedicated to his "work" that he found himself to be guilty of envy of those he viewed as normal, and so saw the ending as his coup de grace.

lots of movies piss me off, but that one, and especially the ending, was excellent, IMO.

fim

fimbulwinter
01-24-2005, 07:11 PM
not to mention that the most basal understanding of chemistry or physics would reveal that the whole premise of the imprisonment of humans to produce energy is just plain retarded.

Shajen
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Watched this Skinimax special a couple of weeks back called Spiderbabe. This chick was shooting webs out of her snatch, and all the guys wanted her. I mean, if I saw a spider web anywhere near a chick's snatch, I would be out of there in a hurry. Or at least get one of those miner's hats with the light on top before I went into that tunnel.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tek
01-24-2005, 07:17 PM
The Green Berets with John Wayne. The Claymore mine is set up backwards. They have raised letter printing on them telling which way to face them...

Also, the sun sets in the wrong direction at the end of the movie (for Vietnam).

radar5
01-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Independance Day- They come out of the tunnel to find LA destoryed and 2 palm trees are in the background.

Night of the Comet-The 2 sisters find that most people have turned into crystals. They walk into the house, past the stairs into another room. They come out of the room and find a dog coller and crystals that magically appeared on the floor.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the sun sets in the wrong direction at the end of the movie (for Vietnam).

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know. What part of the country were they in? If you look at a map, the sun will indeed set over water if you're in the southernmost part of Vietnam.

http://www.northfork.net/vietnam/graphics/vietnam.gif

JTrout
01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Tin Cup-

Horrendous ending to an otherwise good flick.

One detail that bothered me: McCord is betting that TinCup can't get it on the green. Cup banks it off the shitter, down the hill, and into the Fringe , and yet McCord pays up! WTF! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

housenuts
01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Star Wars A New Hope, Obi Wan Kenobi says:

"and these blaster marks. Too accurate for Sand people, only IMPERIAL TROOPS are so precise."

Yet stormtroopers don't hit a [censored] thing for the rest of the trilogy.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

that's really funny. those guys couldn't shoot worth shat

stinkypete
01-24-2005, 10:01 PM
the greatest scene ever is the one in commando where the porsche is totaled, and then drives away completely unscathed a second later.

realwtf
01-24-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, at the end of the Color of Money Newman forfiets against Cruise. Then he breaks a rack of balls while practiving in the Green Room and exclaims "I'm Back!".

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to watch The Hustler. This was when Fast Eddie was young.

drewjustdrew
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I still don't see it. why does anger/wrath, or whatever pitt was kill envy and make that work? wouldn't the goal be to make all 7 sins die?

PhatPots
01-24-2005, 11:30 PM
haha u funny man! There are way worse things in movies that bother me. Like the movie Lemony Snickets: A Series of Unfortunate Events! What I didn't understand was how Count Olav was able to be in the right place at the right time, All the time! How did he know where the children were? Did he have super powers? Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Pots

CORed
01-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, this was TV show, not a movie, but in "The Six Million Dollar Man" Steve Austin was able to use his bionic arm to pick up cars and stuff. For those of you too young to remember the show, it was about a test pilot who last both legs and one arm in a crash, and had them replaced with "bionic" prostheses that gave him superhuman strength. Now, sure he had tha bionic arm and legs, but his back was still flesh and blood. lifting a car would have either torn the muscles or ruptured the disks, leaving him writhing on the ground in agony.

CORed
01-24-2005, 11:56 PM
In the movies or TV shows, when there is a car chase on a dirt road, you always here sound effects of tires squealing. If the idiots had ever driven on a dirt road, they would know that it doesn't sound like that. They never have realistic white noise puntuated with rocks hitting the bottom of the car, that you get when you acutally go into a skid on a dirt road.

CORed
01-25-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The obscure detail is that his whole outfit grows proportionally as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of the old "Incredible Hulk" series. When Bruce Banner changed into the Hulk, his shirt always split and fell off. For some strange reason, this never happened to his pants.

CORed
01-25-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't alive back then, but I'm pretty sure that the Sun has always risen in the East.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean you don't know about the reversal of the Earth's rotation in 1500 B.C.?

daryn
01-25-2005, 01:15 AM
The obscure detail is that his whole outfit grows proportionally as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of the old "Incredible Hulk" series. When Bruce Banner changed into the Hulk, his shirt always split and fell off. For some strange reason, this never happened to his pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you, gay?

pshreck
01-25-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

what are you, gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and what's up with always seeing boobs in movies, but NEVER guys private parts. That bugs me.

realwtf
01-25-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what are you, gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and what's up with always seeing boobs in movies, but NEVER guys private parts. That bugs me.

[/ QUOTE ]

We do not get to see any split beaver either =/

Cerril
01-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Setup and swing, saw it coming a mile away but I still almost snorted soda.

housenuts
01-25-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what are you, gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We do not get to see any split beaver either =/

[/ QUOTE ]

this board must be filled with homophobes. first off no one ever stated that they wanted to see the incredible hulk's huge cock, they just found it odd that his pants didn't grow propertionally as well. it's details like this that make a movie/show good or bad. if you're gonna skip over the details with no logical explanation then most likely you're offering an inferior product. no need to be gay to agree with this.

pshreck
01-25-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

incredible hulk's huge cock

[/ QUOTE ]

pervert.

daryn
01-25-2005, 05:18 AM
Setup and swing, saw it coming a mile away but I still almost snorted soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

note that i used the same exact joke twice in this thread.

PoBoy321
01-25-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw this movie one time where this guy walked up to this girl, said like two words to her, and then they had sex. come on, that NEVER happens in real life. to make matters worse, the same thing happened in every scene. wtf?!? some movies are so dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually know for a fact that a girl I know had sex with a guy after he said 4 words to her. Those four words were "Can I kiss you?" After that, they [censored] and that was that. Damn that girl was a slut. I was always the most popular guy at my friends' parties 'cause I brought her along.

Brainwalter
01-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Pitt was expected to kill himself too.

tek
01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to watch The Hustler. This was when Fast Eddie was young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I saw the Hustler. I still don't get why he was "back" just because he broke a rack. In the previous scene he was too proud to lay Cruise after he found out Cruise had dumped a match.

So how exactly is he "back" after breaking a rack?

fnord_too
01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Green Berets with John Wayne. The Claymore mine is set up backwards. They have raised letter printing on them telling which way to face them...

[/ QUOTE ]

The sun setting in the wrong direction was intentional.

swede123
01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, this was TV show, not a movie, but in "The Six Million Dollar Man" Steve Austin was able to use his bionic arm to pick up cars and stuff. For those of you too young to remember the show, it was about a test pilot who last both legs and one arm in a crash, and had them replaced with "bionic" prostheses that gave him superhuman strength. Now, sure he had tha bionic arm and legs, but his back was still flesh and blood. lifting a car would have either torn the muscles or ruptured the disks, leaving him writhing on the ground in agony.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true. If we assume that the arm works like a boom capable of lifting a car's worth of weight. The forearm motor would be doing the actual lifting while the upper arm motor would be acting as a counterweight/balancing the load. Obviously in real life this would require a hell of a lot of power, not to mention larger motors, all of which wouldn't fit inside a prostetic limb. Nonetheless, it's sci-fi and we all know that power constraints is not a concern in sci-fi.

Cheers,

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true. If we assume that the arm works like a boom capable of lifting a car's worth of weight. The forearm motor would be doing the actual lifting while the upper arm motor would be acting as a counterweight/balancing the load. Obviously in real life this would require a hell of a lot of power, not to mention larger motors, all of which wouldn't fit inside a prostetic limb. Nonetheless, it's sci-fi and we all know that power constraints is not a concern in sci-fi.

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with CORed on this one. The load still travels through the guy's torso and I seriously doubt his back could support the weight of a car, regardless of how strong his arms and legs are. I could draw a free-body diagram for you if you'd like - it wouldn't be any problem, as I am a rocket scientist.

swede123
01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Cowbell boy:

Please indulge me by supporting your point with a drawing. I still maintain my point that with the use of computers and gyroscopes the arm would support the entire load independently of the rest of the body. Just look at that goofy little Segway scooter. Thanks to gyroscopes the thing is able to balance a relatively heavy load without much difficulty. And the Segway only costs ten grand, just imagine what kinda crazy stuff you could buy for six million!!!!

Cheers,

Swede

elwoodblues
01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Balancing the load and supporting the weight of the load are two different questions.

Freakin
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowbell boy:

Please indulge me by supporting your point with a drawing. I still maintain my point that with the use of computers and gyroscopes the arm would support the entire load independently of the rest of the body. Just look at that goofy little Segway scooter. Thanks to gyroscopes the thing is able to balance a relatively heavy load without much difficulty. And the Segway only costs ten grand, just imagine what kinda crazy stuff you could buy for six million!!!!

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

The gyroscopes aren't balancing it, the motors are. The gyroscopes (solid state gyroscopic silicon sensors, actually) are being used to monitor the pitch of the scooter. If it's falling forward, it moves forward to keep the base under the rider, the opposite for falling backwards. It doesn't have some massive gyroscope in teh base that keeps it from falling over. It's actually rather simple. I dont see any way for this bionic arm to lift a car when it has a flesh base. The arm is being supported by the back, and no matter what kind of gyroscopes you put in there, there is still a helluva lot of force being placed on teh back because of where flesh meets stell.

Freakin

fnord_too
01-25-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowbell boy:

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way:

The car is in the air. There has to be a path to the ground for support. Though the arm and legs are in that path, there is also still good old human anaotomy in it, too.

Nagoo81
01-25-2005, 01:41 PM
If you recall in the movie 'Twins' starring Ahnold and Danny DeVito - when they are in that club and they go into the bathroom...notice on top of the vanity mirror that there is a beer bottle. When they both do their little hookshot throwing the paper towels into the trashcan, the camera cuts to the trashcan, and then back to the duo. You'll notice that the beer bottle...IS NOW GONE.

This detail has bugged me for years.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-25-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cowbell boy:

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
If you still need a picture after the other replies to this, I'll draw one up and get it on here some time after work if I remember. Let me know if you've figured it out before then.

swede123
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Screw all of you guys. I know this could be done..and my dad could beat up your dads - especially those of you whose dads are dead.

Cheers,

Swede

jakethebake
01-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Movies with long-haired Marines.

Freakin
01-25-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Screw all of you guys. I know this could be done..and my dad could beat up your dads - especially those of you whose dads are dead.

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have saved yourself time by just writing "pwn3d" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freakin

Reef
01-25-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers,

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch

Reef
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

incredible hulk's huge cock

[/ QUOTE ]

pervert.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough incredibly large green penis fetish cough*

Reef
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not to mention that the most basal understanding of chemistry or physics would reveal that the whole premise of the imprisonment of humans to produce energy is just plain retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Cows would just simply not work here.

CORed
01-25-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are you, gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just pathologically logical.

theantelope
01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
The game can't end on a defensive penalty.

pshreck
01-25-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The game can't end on a defensive penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was an offensive penalty. Not even including the penalty though, they were happy with a first down even though that would have been the last play of the game...

mmbt0ne
01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
I just caught the end of "The Rundown" today, and this really pissed me off. Christopher Walken is talking down from his watchtower thing to one of his security guards who has captured the girl, and is handcuffed to her. Next, one of the guys watching the tv screens says something, Walken goes over there, change camera angle, and the same guard with the broken nose is now in the watchtower sans girl.

theantelope
01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
What if they saw the flag right away, and assumed it was a defensive penalty (like I did) and so they knew they had 1 more play?

Reef
01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just caught the end of "The Rundown" today, and this really pissed me off. Christopher Walken is talking down from his watchtower thing to one of his security guards who has captured the girl, and is handcuffed to her. Next, one of the guys watching the tv screens says something, Walken goes over there, change camera angle, and the same guard with the broken nose is now in the watchtower sans girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's called teleportation - duh

pshreck
01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if they saw the flag right away, and assumed it was a defensive penalty (like I did) and so they knew they had 1 more play?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you assume it was a defensive penalty?

They are all cheering as they see the guy get the first down, and then you see the flag on the field and just about everyone on Permian is all upset. The ball goes back 10 yards and all of a sudden they have another play.

AEKDBet
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
The hulks pants def. rip, but they just turn into tattered shorts we don't have to see his green hang down.

theantelope
01-26-2005, 01:59 AM
I never saw the movie. I meant that I assumed it in my post (2 up).