PDA

View Full Version : Glasses vs. Contacts

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 01:20 AM
I've had glasses for a few years now and I really dislike them. I'm careless with them so they get scratched and dirty and even if they didn't I'm pretty sure I'd still have this problem, my main problem with glasses: I'm very often concious of them. I can see the scratches, things look a little messy through them cause they get grubby, and I always see the frames. It just feels weird to me, unnatural.

Contacts on the other hand, I don't like the idea of prying my eyelids open and shoving this thing right up next to my eyeball and then later trying to get it out of my eye. Also it seems like it would feel weird, people say I will get used to it, but I figured I'd get used to glasses... but I can see how getting used to contacts would be eaiser I wouldn't have the same problem I have with glasses.

Thoughts?

sfer
01-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Eyesight is overrated.

kenberman
01-24-2005, 01:21 AM
what about Lasix? expensive, but everyone I know whose had it is very happy.

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 01:29 AM
More info on lasix? Link maybe?

Sephus
01-24-2005, 01:31 AM
i wear contacts. i don't like them, they give me headaches and irritate me from time to time. but they beat glasses hands down.

you seem to have money bruiser, i would get the lasik surgery if i had 1-2k to spare.

Punker
01-24-2005, 01:32 AM
I had my eyes lasered at the Gimble Clinic. Here's their web site:

http://www.gimbeleyecentre.com/patients/questions.html

I had mine done on a Tuesday, took 3 days off work, wore sunglasses and took drops for about a week, and haven't had a micron of trouble since.

This phrase is overused on these boards, but in this case, it really ISN'T close. Lasik is the way to go. And after you do it, you will see why (pun intended). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
01-24-2005, 01:36 AM
I've tried the whole contacts thing, but it didn't work the last time I gave a run at it (this was maybe 3-4 years ago).

I'm gonna give it another shot this summer. Only 18, too young for Lasik.

You can easily get adjusted to contacts, but there's people like me who need to rub their eyes sometimes and just want to scream when they cannot due to the contacts.

emonrad87
01-24-2005, 01:36 AM
LASIK > contacts > glasses.

I wear contacts, and they can be a pain. Especially when I'm backpacking; i often just leave them in for a couple days in a row then. But they beat the hell out of glasses. Glasses are at least as much work, and easier/more expensive to break.

wacki
01-24-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eyesight is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your joke is closer to the truth than you know.

http://www.bostonretinalimplant.org/

david050173
01-24-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LASIK > contacts > glasses.

I wear contacts, and they can be a pain. Especially when I'm backpacking; i often just leave them in for a couple days in a row then. But they beat the hell out of glasses. Glasses are at least as much work, and easier/more expensive to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are not good lasik canidates /images/graemlins/frown.gif I have never had problesm with contacts (gp) except when I have to stare at a computer monitor for a zillion hours.

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 01:46 AM
I will research lasik but the reason I haven't thought seriously about it yet is my eye site isn't too bad, but I guess does that really matter if I still need glasses? I dont' know if there are risks involved in this surgeorgy but as I say it would be stupid to mess up my eyes now since my eyes aren't that bad. Plus I don't know how eye site decay works maybe my eyes will just regress to the same state in a few years (though it doesn't seem like my eye site has gotten worse the last couple years - even though the optomitrist said they would). I wouldn't mind spending the money to just get lasik done twice, doesn't seem like a good idea messing around with this new technology and overusing etc.

Punker
01-24-2005, 02:06 AM
The risks are really tiny; I've never heard of a single person who didn't have anything but glowing reviews. They do require that you are a certain age and that your prescription has settled before they'll let you do it. I had mine done about 2 years ago and haven't noticed any deterioration, despite spending 50+ hours a week in front of a computer screen that entire time.

david050173
01-24-2005, 02:19 AM
The big "risk" is that you will have problems with night vision. According to my eye doctor if you have large pupils to relative to the iris you run a higher risk. Dry eyes are also the other common complaint. The chance of going blind or having really bad vision is really low.

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm curious the people who don't like glasses here... I've never heard anyone say they don't like glasses for the reason I stated. Why do you people dislike glasses? They don't look good?

Justin A
01-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure you're too young for lasik. You're like 20 right? I think most places you have to be like 25 or so and you have to have had the same prescription for a while. Eyesight is still changing for people our age, so they won't do the surgery if your sight will change afterwards.

The Yugoslavian
01-24-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
More info on lasix? Link maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason could tell you all you need to know about Lasik surgery.

Yugoslav

Thythe
01-24-2005, 04:05 AM
I'll be the lone dissenter here and say I prefer glasses to contacts. I've had glasses since the 4th grade and am plenty used to them. This is probably the biggest reason that I wouldn't get contacts. Another reason is that contacts sound like a lot of work and I don't exactly like poking at my eyeballs either. I guess I don't really have that much to add to this thread...

soah
01-24-2005, 04:50 AM
I wore contacts for several years before going back to glasses. Apparently my eyes are very dry compared to most people's which in turn caused the contacts to dry out in my eyes and cause lots of discomfort. The one thing I really liked about contacts though was the ability to walk in the rain and still see clearly.

daveymck
01-24-2005, 06:24 AM
I dont like glasses they make you look stupid, we I am too vain for them anyway.

So I had to get contacts, problem was years ago I fratured underneath my eye and had to have an operation to pop the eyball out and put some pate under my eye as I was getting double vision. So I hated anyone or anything touching my eyes.

When you get you contacts they put them in the first time and you have to get them out, it took me 45 minutes to get them out with the optician being very grumpy and pissed with me and saying it was the longest consultation ever. First few days took a long tome to do it.

However after a week or so it was no problem and now I can even rub my eyeball (usually when drunk thinking my contact is still in there).

So give them a try, I would get daily disposables and give it a couple of weeks.

Duke
01-24-2005, 07:38 AM
All in all, I hate glasses. Yes, they get dirty. You can't just fall asleep with them on without messing them up. They slightly irritate your skull behind the ears. You basically have to remove them for sex and then be subject to impaired vision.

I have horrible eyes, and much prefer contacts. I'm just too lazy to go get another supply of contacts. I like the ones you're supposed to wear for a week and then remove and discard.

~D

jennicide
01-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I sometimes like glasses on guys. I think it depends on the frames though, if they match the guy's face or not. If you don't like glasses and can't stand touching your eye, have you considered lasik eye surgery? My friend's father got it done and has been happy with the results so far.

spamuell
01-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I've found it pretty difficult to get used to contacts. Having said that, they're so much better than glasses when you go out. You (well, I) look far better and less geekier. People do judge people by that they wear glasses. So I pretty much wear glasses around my friends because they're easier to wear, I hate putting in and taking out contacts, but if I'm meeting new people or going to a bar/pub/club then it's contacts every time.

If you don't like glasses, you should at least try contacts for like a month before looking for more expensive/permanent/potentially dangerous solutions.

01-24-2005, 10:53 AM
This has already been discussed. Here's your solution:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=155094 4&Forum=All_Forums&Words=scalpel&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Main=1550851&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=& daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post1550944

sfer
01-24-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, they're so much better than glasses when you go out. You (well, I) look far better and less geekier

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself Spam. Geeky is like the best thing I have going with the ladies.

nicky g
01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I've started wearing contacts, and I like them generally. I can see a bit better with them, and think I look better with them, although a few people have said they prefer me in glasses. I really hate taking them out though, especially if tired or drunk. Putting them in is easy enough. I sometimes wear them (going out, MA classes, things like that), and sometimes wear my glasses. Doesn't have to be an either or decision. I have the one day disposable kind which are fairly hassle free.

zokbarjazz
01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Bruiser,
I am very nearsighted. I wore glasses for 14 years before getting contacts 2.5 years ago. I haven't put on my glasses since. I look better, I feel better, I can see better (when you look up, down, or to the sides, you don't see the edge of your glasses). My only regret was not doing it sooner.

Oh, and I also thought I'd never be able to touch my eye and stick something in it every day. After a month it's like brushing your teeth...you don't even think about it.

razor
01-24-2005, 01:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/razor27/InstantURLCode.jpg

Peca277
01-24-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/razor27/InstantURLCode.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU!!! This thread is completely unreadable because of that link.

theBruiser500
01-24-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like glasses and can't stand touching your eye, have you considered lasik eye surgery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm no, I haven't considered lasik eye surgery yet, what is that? Thanks.

jennicide
01-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Haha..I think I need to check 'replies' to threads first before I make my own response

david050173
01-24-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You basically have to remove them for sex and then be subject to impaired vision.
~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Well depending on the girl, that can be considered an advantage /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
THANK YOU!!! This thread is completely unreadable because of that link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should get glasses. Or contacts.