PDA

View Full Version : Pay ticket or contest it?

emonrad87
01-23-2005, 11:57 PM
So I got my first speeding ticket today, from a real [censored] state patrol guy. Was a 55 zone, my spedometer said 60, he said 68 but "gave me a break" down to 65. Since it's my first ticket, would it be likely to get it thrown out if I contest it? I don't want my insurance rates to skyrocket. But I don't really want to go to court if there isnt much of a chance to get it thrown out. Anyone have experiences/advice?

Greenthumb
01-24-2005, 12:02 AM
ive challenged 2 tickets, both successful. i talked to the magestrate(cant spell) of the court. just be respectful and tell the truth, your clean record should be enough. the cop probably wont even show up for the appeal. its definately worth a shot, worse case scenario you still pay the ticket.

emonrad87
01-24-2005, 12:31 AM
ok.. Thats about what i thought. I just don't want to waste my day in court for nothing.

Slacker13
01-24-2005, 12:50 AM
I have gone to a traffic attorney (my friend) the last 3 speeding tickets and all 3 were thrown out but thats here in Ft Lauderdale, the courts really don't care as long as they get their admin fee's. So my insurance co is not notified and I lose no points, it's well worth getting a traffic attorney every time you get a speeding ticket because the rise in your ins premiums can be worse in the long run.

bernie
01-24-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't want to waste my day in court for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still a possibility. Some magistrates just don't care about your record.

Do you drive for a living? If so, get a traffic lawyer and protect your livelihood. I got out of a 22 over ticket by sending a lawyer. Never even had to meet him or show up at the courthouse. All done over the phone.

The first ticket usually doesn't up your insurance much. The 2nd one is where it really goes up.

Call your insurance and ask how much your premiums would be 'if' you had a ticket on your record. They'll tell you. Then do a rough estimate of how much it will cost in ins. for 3 years. Add that to the price of the ticket. There's your real ticket cost.

Weigh the pros and cons of it factoring in how often you drive and why you drive, and decide how far you'll fight it. Personally, I like to make 'em earn their money. Not just send the money in to them. Screw them.

b

Randy_Refeld
01-24-2005, 01:35 AM
A lot depends on local rules and procedures. In Ohio it was a straight forrward process that took about an hour on two differenet occasions (one ticket 2 court appearance to beat it). In Mississippi one ticket it took all day for the officer to not show up (the court delayed and kept me there until all other business was complete). The other one in MS took all day to plead not guilty and schedule a trial. In MS they have the courts set up to make it very inconvenient to plead not guilty.

RR

courttv_addict
01-24-2005, 01:41 AM
It depends on your jurisdiction, but where I'm from I can appear in court and file for a "continual for dismissal" and this will get it off my record, so that my insurance won't go up. You would still have to pay court fees that amount to the ticket price though.

tdarko
01-24-2005, 01:50 AM
last year my best friend got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker, now i dont remember how much the ticket was for so lets just say 150$. he wrote a check to pay the ticket for 155$...the state then sent him a 5$ check back and he didnt cash it, so the case isn't closed on his citation...since it isnt closed his ticket doesnt go on his record or insurance and he didnt even have to take defensive driving or deffered judification. basically that is a way to be able to pay off a ticket and not worry about anything else. it may be different somewhere other than texas but worth looking into.

Dangergirl
01-24-2005, 01:58 AM
I've also heard that overpaying a traffic ticket in Texas works as long as you don't cash the check they send you in the mail. Also, traffic attorneys aren't too expensive here. In TX they run from $60 - $150 and you never even have to show up in court. But like someone else said, it depends on where you live.

tdarko
01-24-2005, 02:09 AM
yeah i am from dallas...texas is easy; send the check to austin then never cash the return check and you're golden

Rob Blackburn
01-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Texas is great, $200 will get you out of almost anything.

The best get out of ticket move I have heard of was one my brother pulled. He got a registration ticket in Atlanta, I think the ticket was maybe $100 at the most. He talked to the magistrate and he told him it was the fine or three days in jail. When he got in front of the judge he told him he was guilty he had no excuse and no money so he just wanted to go to jail for the 3 days. The judge couldn't believe he asked to go to jail over a $100 traffic ticket, and said it would cost more to keep him in jail for three days than the ticket was worth so he tossed it out.
*Use this method at your own risk*

Dr. Strangelove
01-24-2005, 10:59 AM
One way to get out of tickets is to postpone your court date several times at the last minute; have a good reason, terribly sick etc. After the thing is rescheduled twice the cop often won't even show up; you contest it and it gets thrown out.

I got out of an 83 in a 65 because the cop wrote down the wrong milepost on the ticket. I proved that he would have had to average >300 mph to catch me if it was in fact me that he had radared. (I was traveling east on a freeway at 2:00 am and he got me from across the divider going the opposite direction). I knew he got me because I was using a detector.

And I wasn't doing 83 I was doing 105; what a jackass. When he finally caught me he tried to get me to admit it was me that he had radared. I believe I was 17 at the time. The judge actually chewed the cop out for [censored] up.

wacki
01-24-2005, 11:40 AM
what bernie said.

Traffic lawyers can work magic.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I like to make 'em earn their money. Not just send the money in to them. Screw them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

WC64
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Well you said your speedometer said 60? If you aren't just making that up you could have it tested and if it is off then you would probably get out of your ticket by having it fixed.

Freakin
01-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Contest the ticket, wait until you get your court date. A few weeks later, send a letter to the prosecutors office requesting discovery. If they don't send it to you, appear in court with a copy of the letter you sent, and move for dismissal on the grounds that you were not given a fair chance to defend yourself because you weren't given discovery. [censored] all that paying over the amount [censored]... I've never seen it work anywhere. I've dropped 3 tickets by moving for dismissal. Thats usually the first thing a lawyer will try...

Freakin

Voltron87
01-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Will any of these tricks work for my upcoming quintiple homicide case?

Randy_Refeld
01-24-2005, 02:03 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ticket.asp

If you are going to fight I would ask for discovery. The above link refers to over paying the fine.

RR

Freakin
01-24-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Will any of these tricks work for my upcoming quintiple homicide case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah just overpay the fine, and voluntarily extend your stay in jail (or alternatively, have them uber-kill you for your capitol punishment). I promise your insurance won't go up.

Freakin

youtalkfunny
01-25-2005, 07:53 AM
The story I tell in every speeding ticket thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1376522&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

If somebody doesn't say "Cool story" this time, I'm done linking to it, and the next sucker to get popped for speeding is on his own. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freakin
01-25-2005, 01:24 PM
you talk funny. in an entertaining sort of way.
Good story.
Freakin

CORed
01-25-2005, 04:09 PM
If you show up for the areingment, you will probably be offered a plea bargain which will reduce the fine and/or points. You may want to take this offer. Contesting the ticket is also an option. The officer may not show up, or he may not have calibrated his radar when he should have (of course, he may lie and say he did). If they don't offer you a plea bargain, you have nothing to lose by contesting the ticket.

CORed
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The judge couldn't believe he asked to go to jail over a $100 traffic ticket, and said it would cost more to keep him in jail for three days than the ticket was worth so he tossed it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent bluff. Just be sure you're prepared to pay the price if it gets called.

daryn
01-25-2005, 04:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
The judge couldn't believe he asked to go to jail over a $100 traffic ticket, and said it would cost more to keep him in jail for three days than the ticket was worth so he tossed it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent bluff. Just be sure you're prepared to pay the price if it gets called.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a simple EV calculation. what % of the time will his bluff be called? if the pot odds warrant the bluff, then he has made the correct play.

but going to jail sucks.