PDA

View Full Version : Taxes on Comps

Reckless_Abandon
01-23-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm a pro and am concerned about reporting comps. I've never really gotten any decent advice on this subject. The best response I've heard is don't worry about it unless it's a car or something.

Do I have to report drinks, meals, clothing, magazines, gift cards, and other merchandise? Is there a set amount that it can be under and not be taxable? How would I determine the value of the comp? Please indicate if you are a tax professional or a fellow pro.

Thanks

tek
01-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Did they give you a 1099 or W2G for the comps? If not, then forget it.

Reckless_Abandon
01-24-2005, 03:49 PM
No, there weren't any forms given as it was just lots of small comps from lots of places. I think my main concern is gift cards. I received several hundred dollars worth of gift cards and next year should be several thousand. It's documented through an online affiliate, although it's Canadian. I'm just a little concerned about this coming back to haunt me. I'm planning on reporting the gift cards unless I get some advice saying I shouldn't.

DiamondDave
01-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Sometimes the authorities decide that comps can be accounted for as "gains from wagering, which are taxable.

http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/LIBBUTI.TCM.WPD.pdf

The petitioner lost large sums playing craps, and was eventually allowed to deduct losses to the extent of his gains (which were essentially the value of his comps).

tek
01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
He received a 1099 MISC for his comps...

I still say that if you don't receive a W2G or 1099, the question is moot.

For example, does anyone pay taxes on their frequent flyer miles?